Meat

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by fracturtle, Jun 11, 2011.

1. should humans eat it?

some interesting quotes on the subject from notable people throughout history.

If man wants freedom why keep birds and animals in cages? Truly man is the king of beasts, for his brutality exceeds them. We live by the death of others. We are burial places! I have since an early age abjured the use of meat. -Leonardo da Vinci

I do feel that spiritual progress does demand at some stage that we should cease to kill our fellow creatures for the satisfaction of our bodily wants. -Mahatma Gandhi

I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other. -Henry David Thoreau

2. Have you ever eaten meat?

That's why humans should eat it.

3. Does it not provide good nutrition. Of course exploit its benefits.

4. I don't see a major need for it.

5. We're basically at a point where a lot of our "meat" is really just flavored processed plant matter, but as long as we are killing plants we shouldn't act like we're doing the world a favor not killing animals. For one thing, it's a little hasty to presume that its less cruel to kill plants than it is to kill animals. For another, if we moved every single human being onto plants instead of animals it would probably end up suffocating us all (us and animals) in the end anyway.

6. I believe that animals should be afforded rights to the same extent that they can defend those rights. That being said, I do not think that we are violating any inherent rights of animals by eating them. When cows, pigs, or fish begin unionizing and protesting to not be eaten, I will gladly stop eating them.

I am aware that there are horrendous conditions for animals being raised for the purpose of eating and that the meat industry is quite repugnant in how it operates. However, I am also aware that meat tastes delicious and because of this and my shallow human nature I am able to overlook these moral unpleasantries and continue my meat consumption.

As of now, I do not see why cows, pigs, chickens, fish, or any other commonly consumed animal should have their lives considered to be of such value that we should discontinue consuming them. Man is superior in intellect and has mastered these creatures for his usage. Maybe if I consumed large quantities of psychedelic and talked with some cows or pigs I would see things differently, but right now I do not have any level of sympathy for these creatures that would cause me to have a different position obviously.

7. There is 6B+ people, try feeding everybody plants. It all supplements itself.

8. Hunting is a very ancient sport, much older than agriculture.

9. Being a lenient vegetarian, I'd say there's nothing wrong with it as far as physical health goes.

Morally, I'm sort of a pansy and sometimes shun the idea of killing an innocent animal just to support my flourishing gain, especially when we have more purposeless and inexpensive supplements that are twice as healthy for us than meat made available to us.

10. couldnt resist the opportunity to post this lol.. shit makes me laugh so hard when i'm high as hell
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaFZTAOb7IE]YouTube - ‪They're Made Out Of Meat‬‏[/ame]

11. the plants flesh is technical their "meat"

12. #12 HighinHI, Jun 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2011

It hasn't been conclusively proven if a meat free lifestyle is all that healthy and balanced. Many say that your brain requires certain trace minerals found only in meats that simply cannot be found anywhere else (like in plants). I think you'd definitely be able to survive and live on a plant only diet, but maybe you wouldn't be working at a 100% level because of those trace mineral deficiencies.

Also everybody's body chemistry is different. Maybe some people would be fine on a vegan diet, others i believe just aren't built for it. some people require the high irons found in a meat heavy diet to maintain and lower their blood pressure. These people might have intense cravings for a meat heavy diet and an aversion to plants yet not know exactly why.

Spiritually I guess killing is bad, but animals do it all the time. We just fuck things up when we put things out of nature's balance with the way we run our unnatural messed up meat factories. Meat is not tasting as good as it did before and i think it's because the unnatural practices of the meat industry is affecting the meat. or maybe it's the fact that the animal who died was most likely miserable and screaming when it died. It's been proven that people who have transplants usually get the memories or attributes of the person they got the transplant from. I think maybe we can get similar things (like emotions) from the state of the things we eat.

Also I notice a lot of really messed up people were vegan-Hitler, Polpot, Charles Manson, etc. Even the people you quoted are a little off, Gandhi used to beat his wife (though this was considered normal where he lived still it went against his teachings), and Leonardo Da Vinci was a purported pedophile (although back then this was considered okay). Makes me wonder if they were missing some trace minerals there.

13. As far as i'm aware vitamin B-12 is the only artificial supplement that vegetarians/vegans NEED to take in order to stay healthy.

14. Clearly those who go against meat have never ate something as satisfying as pure Angus beef.

15. An issue I struggle with on occasion.

Not for any emotional reasons (I do believe we could process our meat more humanely (I personally believe the day we stop abusing the chicken is the day there will be peace)) but I wonder if vegetarianism would have any nutritional or mental benefit.

Meat is obviously delicious, but so is Mountain Dew (and I drink that like every day).

Plus a salad is really good for the munchies cuz you can eat as much as you want, but I've also noticed my body doesn't always process all of it properly.