Meant to be...?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by budbass, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Hello, this is my first post. I am planning a grow closet with the help of some experienced friends. I live alone in a house with a large unused attic, have a 72"x53" closet, 8' high, with a shelf about 6.5 ft from the floor on both sides (may have a pic tomorrow). I have a 600 watt hps and 6" quality exhaust fan (forgot the cfm rating). I rarely have anyone over and can easily modify the closet if necessary.
    The plan is to start simple with the guidance of my friends (who are previous growers themselves). They are stressing simplicity for sake of my inexperience. However, I would like to know if I'm on the right track before I even get a seed in there.
    This is turning into a long post, sorry. I plan on running a 6" AC duct (I'm a HVAC tech) right above the door and diffused onto the lamp (nonvented hood) to cool it. I also plan to line the walls with 2" styrofoam insulation (R7 or 8) to control any noise and temp. The door will be weatherstripped and exhaust vented through charcoal for smell. I will run power outlets (how many?) for light, oscillating fan, exhaust fan, etc. The insulation will be painted flat white. I'm acounting for everything to be fully adjustable.
    OK, condensed question is, what is overkill and what am I missing for a first setup? I know the hardest part will be adjusting everything to the plant's needs, but I think an optimal room setup is essential. Humidity and temp are my primary concerns at present what with the closet being pretty much hermetically sealed AND air conditioned.
    Ah, total beginner rambling on and on... Any responses (and literature reccomendations) are greatly appreciated.

2. Ah, not exactly hermetically sealed: there will be an AC vent (6") and an exhaust vent (6") which will be almost directly over the lamp (although that can be be easily changed).

3. For a first grow, you sound very prepared. Just paint your closet walls white as a good reflector of light. Ideally, marijuana should be grown in temps around mid 70's F. (that's around 25-30 C I think) Though it can grow in temps in the 80's-90's and 50's-60's. As for humidity, you don't want it bone dry or extemely humid in there. Other than that, you seem covered. Just Google around grow room setups and read grow journals and you'll be fine.

4. you should start a grow journal and update it nightly people will subscribe and let you know ways to improve as it goes, get your basic setup started, start the journal, reap the knowledge.