Meaning of life?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SheenTheSage, Jan 14, 2012.

1. I do not wish to begin a typical philosophical debate on the meaning of life. Personally, I think life is objectively meaningless and only has a purpose if you assume parts of life have a purpose. Thus, life has a rich inner meaning, in the context of one's personal psychology, but is, when considered from the outside, empty and cold.

Instead, I want to ask a few questions:

1) what have you done so far?
    2) what went well and what did not go well?
    3) what do you still plan to do?

My answers:
    1) I've stuck it out with some family, friends, and a few professors.
    2) I got educated when I was young, and am doing well in school. I've burned a few good bridges and wasted money/time before.
    3) I plan to become a successful and valuable physicist/scientist/philosopher. It's simply too early to tell what opportunities I will capitalize on. I'm only 19, and have only submitted 3 academic papers to peer-reviewed journals.

Peace on Earth, good will to men.

2. 1. Nothing
    2. Nothing
    3. Nothing

I haven't done anything, thus I am not exhausted.
    Nothing goes well or not well, thus I am not burdened by good or bad.
    I have no plans, thus I will never fail.

3. I have a similar reply

1. A bunch of things that mean nothing really
    2. Eh, nothing important
    3. I have no plans either

4. Same here and it's rather depressing sometimes. I wish I could muster up motivation, but all I do is think.

5. fucked up shit
    had a son.. what didnt go well is in the past.
    make the best of it for me and my son.

i live for my son basically.

6. 1) what have you done so far?
    you dont have the time or the bandwidth......
    and nither do i
    2) that went well and that did not go well?
    yes
    3) what do you still plan to do?
    breath........for the moment
    beyond that ......idfk....

7. 1) tried
    2) failing, went both ways
    3) keep trying

8. #8 esseff, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012
    Walked down many roads.

Everything went well on some level.

Never really plan to do anything - just try following my excitement.

9. 1. i've given to a number of charities. i've donated a large chunk of time and effort into projects that have the potential for relieving humanity from energy "slavery." so far this last thing hasn't added up to much, but i still have hope for it. there has been a potential for creating a practical energy generation at a low cost that makes it available to even the poorest markets.

2. i have found that things have gone best when localized. my efforts are more tangible when directed toward those closest to me and my community. so when i see sarah mclachlan on tv, my reaction isn't to give to her cause but to a more local cause with the same goal. i help with community service when i am able.

3. if my ongoing efforts are fruitful, i will expand my efforts into other fields. if the result is a practically free market for energy, i will move on to applying this energy to applications such as trying to produce a food supply that can sustain the needy without much concern to the cost. i think most social problems are related to basic inequality - not that everyone deserves to make equal money, just that everyone deserves the right to basic things like food and shelter. if everyone is freed from survival concerns, then that's a step toward truly equal opportunity. just one step, though.

10. 1) I'm almost 46 years old. Looking back I've done a lot. I have 2 kids that are 13 and 16 and I've been married over 20 years. We aren't divorced yet. I'm unemployable for the most part and if I had to grade my overall performance thus far, I can't see how I'd get much better then a D+. I've done some good, but man I have fucked a lot of shit up.

2) Let's put it this way, if I could go back and do it differently, I honestly would. My mom was a negative woman and she doesn't see the good in anything. She planted some pretty fucked up seeds into my head and somehow I came to believe in my own mind that I was a "bad" person and I needed help. Then I met my wife and we had kids and I look back and holy fuck...I married my mother...WTF??? This woman told me 10 times over the years that if I ever became successful I'd leave her. She told my daughter that I'll be amazing with her out of my life...really??? OK...whatever. This woman NEVER believed in me and knew I was a fuck up when she married me...it's WHY she married...WTF??? So here I am...I dropped out of high school when I was 17 and I've got some good sales experience, but I'm a convicted felon (possession of a few lines of coke) and I can't get past a background check.

3) Get the voices of my mom and my wife out of my head. Go back to school and learn and study the hardest degree program I can find. Do what I have to do to EARN my way in this world and start paying shit back. A man cannot feel like a man if he is not paying his own way. I understand that my biggest problem was me. I hated who I was. It was really fucked up. That shit is over. I'm gonna be the best fucking me I can be. I'm gonna fight back and I'm gonna make a come back. I'm gonna die a happy and contented man.

11. [quote name='"teirry"']

1) I'm almost 46 years old. Looking back I've done a lot. I have 2 kids that are 13 and 16 and I've been married over 20 years. We aren't divorced yet. I'm unemployable for the most part and if I had to grade my overall performance thus far, I can't see how I'd get much better then a D+. I've done some good, but man I have fucked a lot of shit up.

2) Let's put it this way, if I could go back and do it differently, I honestly would. My mom was a negative woman and she doesn't see the good in anything. She planted some pretty fucked up seeds into my head and somehow I came to believe in my own mind that I was a "bad" person and I needed help. Then I met my wife and we had kids and I look back and holy fuck...I married my mother...WTF??? This woman told me 10 times over the years that if I ever became successful I'd leave her. She told my daughter that I'll be amazing with her out of my life...really??? OK...whatever. This woman NEVER believed in me and knew I was a fuck up when she married me...it's WHY she married...WTF??? So here I am...I dropped out of high school when I was 17 and I've got some good sales experience, but I'm a convicted felon (possession of a few lines of coke) and I can't get past a background check.

3) Get the voices of my mom and my wife out of my head. Go back to school and learn and study the hardest degree program I can find. Do what I have to do to EARN my way in this world and start paying shit back. A man cannot feel like a man if he is not paying his own way. I understand that my biggest problem was me. I hated who I was. It was really fucked up. That shit is over. I'm gonna be the best fucking me I can be. I'm gonna fight back and I'm gonna make a come back. I'm gonna die a happy and contented man.[/quote]

This inspired something beautiful in me. Good for you dude. I wish you the best.

12. Second that - nice post. :)