Meaning. Drive. Depression. What's the point?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by freakshow789, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Hey, I'm sorry I know there is a million and one threads of people saying they are depressed but I have to reach out. To make this short, I obsess every waking minute (seriously - driving, during conversations, while showering, all the time!) thinking about what is life and why are we here? I OBSESS, and it's slowly killing me because I get hopeless and frustrated that we don't know. There was a time a few years ago where I learned how amazing the universe is etc. and it really lifted my spirits that life is crazy and a beautiful trip but I have a poor memory and have forgotten all that and am now depressed again. It hurts so much and I think about ending it all the time. I know I should probably get help, and maybe I will soon, but anyone able to remind me how incredible life is and there has to be more to than just what we see as humans?
    Also, another reason I hate getting help is because I'm looking for deep answers. Answers like go to the gym, get a hobby etc. don't help me because no matter what I do, I'm constantly thinking about what is this thing we are experiencing?
    Sometimes I wish I was religious... would make things a lot easier...
    Anyways, too long, I really hope ya'll can help me.

2. All I can tell you is to just revel in the mystery. I think about it constantly too, but I love that it's a puzzle we can never fully put together. Magic tricks aren't shit after you know how it's done. Don't waste your life away worrying about what may or may not happen after, it has zero effect on life now. The universe truly is magnificent. You can come up with any explanation you want, and it's just as valid as anybody else's because at the end of the day we just don't fucking know, and I think that's incredible. Stick around and tackle more of the mystery with us, friend.

3. Eh I think about these things a lot too, but it's better to be ignorant about it since no one has an answer, no one.

Life is an adventure, have fun with lots of people, have good laughs.

4. You're never going to find a definitive answer to the meaning of life. People have their own meanings, whether it's something they came up with or was spoon fed by some religion. Or some people just don't know/care.
    I don't think there's some greater meaning really, I think we're just a product of evolution and got too smart so now we obsess about all kinds of stupid shit lol. I guess you could say my meaning in life is trying to be happy, making the most out of this ride and trying to fulfill myself.

I really recommend you get help if you're depressed. Your therapist might encourage you to exercise or get a hobby and I get this seems trivial and useless. But it really does improve your mood and gives you more energy. With a better mood and more energy you have better resources to solve all the deeper issues. So try to see them as a tool, not necessarily a solution. You and your therapist will get to the deeper stuff too, don't worry about it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. meaning of life = experience

• Like Like x 2
  6. Well...you're not alone.

Be aware of this: truth lies in opposites. What does this entail? Ponder on the concept of everything and nothing. Ponder on free will and determinism. Ponder on..NOTHING. what happens when you are aware of not thinking - in that though be aware to not be "not thinking". This is meditation.

Life is suffering because that is the nature of it....seemingly. dont get down, the way of the human spirit is to persevere, use your desire to know in the right way.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  7. You are having an existential crisis (oftentimes manifests itself as depression), and you need to find a purpose. Life kind of sucks when our purposes are superficial. Most people exist to make money and buy things. We need a deeper purpose than that.

I was like you once in my life when I was in my early 20s. I developed a purpose--got an education so I could pursue that purpose, and have been doing it ever since. Some people call this a "career," but I'm striving to make society better. Failing in the process, but the purpose is what's key--not whether your succeed or fail.

Read some Jean Paul Sartre or Heidegger. They both write about this kind of stuff. Also read some Zen Buddhism, and I'd recommend The Art of Peace by Morihei Ueshiba (and I read that book long before TWD was a phenomenon).

8. #8 sgt baker, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    IMHO (And this is just my opinion)... I think there is no real "purpose" on some higher level as to what we have here... our purpose is to reproduce and keep our place in the chain, we have highly developed frontal cortex which provides us the highest level of intelligence, which in turn allows us to cooperate with one another on large scales for the survival of our species and build this massive civilization we have.

This is a beautiful time to be alive.... just think way back in the day (not too damn long ago to be honest, relative to the age of Earth) you'd be lucky to live past 20, you probably didn't get to smoke weed or trip out, just an all around harsh life for most. I would worry about "the meaning" unless you want to be a philosopher or something... just live the now and find something you are good at and pursue it. It doesn't have to be for the better of mankind or anything righteous sounding but there should be something that motivates you to get up each day. If you don't have it you need to relax and just go with an interest, you seem interested in the universe... astronomy is dope as f*ck and one of the few subjects of science where amateurs can make large contributions. Something like this maybe?

Anyway, just do your thing. If you are depressed this is a major deal which you might want to seek help because it can be caused by many things, bipolar, stress, psychosis, etc. Get medication it will help, but that's not the cure as depression isn't just biochemical, that's why it is classified as a disorder and not a disease like diabetes. You need to work on the root cause. If you don't know what it is, there are people that do that for a living, can't hurt to try.

Take care.

• Like Like x 2
  9. There is no purpose to existence. It is amazing to me that anything exists at all because it all could've just as easily not existed.

As far as your own personal existence, it is what you make of it. Find ways to enjoy your time, because you don't get very much of it. Brighten the existence of others as well, and yours will be more fulfilling.

There is no greater injustice you can do yourself than to waste your time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. because at the end of the day, you still can't lick your elbow.

Life, you know?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Yeah but I can lick my eyebrows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  12. Hey OP,

In reference to this guys post I'm 23 and going through the same shit. It's explorable, and enjoyable at points but not living in the now and trying figure out what job I'm gonna get after I graduate this semester or if I'm gonna move from my parents.

I feel you homie, but this is just a stage in life we are going through. Let your emotions be felt, recognize them, then tell yourself that you're gonna take care of you. Fall back on some people, some family, talk to them. It'll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  13. life advances into its own meaning; the experience of its own existence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. connect with Nature! nature does not mind fuck itself like humans do and Nature has more real in its little toe than the whole human organism= well we are nature in a way.....

• Like Like x 1
  15. The meaning of life is giving your live a meaning or of you can't give your life a meaning give your death a meaning but whatever you do don't leave this planet without leaving an impact on it. That's what lifes about.

16. Everything is temporary man. NO ONE knows whats the point of life, how we were made, where the universe came from.
    My life is meaningless, and so is everyone elses. Think, the universe is 14 billion years old, that makes your time in it max .0000006%. There has been plenty of life forms before us, and will continue to be after us. No one will ever be significant, as mankind will die off at some point, along with planets and likely the universe.

Bottom line is, YOU have to take whatever you can in life, there is so many beautiful things right in front of you. Don't ever let small things bring you down, enjoy and cherish that you even get to experience any of this. This is all we get, without this, there is nothing.

17. You are going through a spiritual growth period. This is how it starts. There is an in depth description of it in the book call 'Spiritual Emergency' by Stanislov Grof. The particular essay is called 'Understanding Evolutionary Crisis'.

From what you wrote, you seem to be looking for answers as to what is going on in your psyche. This book will help. Very highly recommended for people looking for what really goes on in the struggle to understand the Self...little and big. Very based on thought of Jung and Assagioli...self and the collective unconscious.

18. What is the point? Honestly...