Maybe sick, or maybe I am mean??

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by saltside, Jan 2, 2009.

1. I have been patiently growing in vegitative for 3 months... I just want a healthy crop of females before i stink it up with any blooming.

From the start the bottom leaves on the plants dry up and fall off.. then yellowing tips on the fan leaves curling up then turning brown... I thought it was just crappy light for a long time so I got a big ass MH and started really cooking... it looks like more of the same.. WTF..

They still grow and I just topped them again the other day, but they are kind of slow growers and they look all sickly...

What type of medium; soil or hydro? Soil... Generic potting soil

What brand and type of soil?

Indoors or outdoors? indoor

What strain? White widow

How old are the plants? 3 months

What type of lights and how many watts? first 3 months were
    3 150W cfl last 2 weeks 400W MH

How far from the lights?CFLs were about 5 inches from top... MH is 18 Inches away

What, how much and when was it fed? NPK?
    A few days ago I gave very weak solution of miracle grow 15-30-15 plant food

What is the medium/runoff pH? soil ph is 6.5 to 7.0

What are the temps and humidity in the room? 75 lights on 65 lights out

What size pots? 2.5 litre paint buckets with holes drilled in the bottom

Any bugs? Look real close. no bugs

Any other pertinent info?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my guess woulda been ph probs bu you say runoff is 6.5-7.0
    you got me stumped, 3 month old plants shouldnt look like that tho.
    the plant look like sticks with a plume of leaf at the top. :(
    I have the leaf curl goin on too, for me it was ph probs and reusing soil with built up nutes in it from previous grows. I transplanted my babe into a 3 gal from the smaller black pots you can see thoughout my grow. The prob hasnt halted entirely but seems to be slowing down a ton. Plus I got some cal mag+ which should stop that. Thats only if the ph is correct though or it won't help cuz the nutes will still be locked out.

hope u solve your prob man, with that amount of light and time your plants shouldn't look as they do.

3. I'm thinking you should re-pot into some 5 gallon pots or at least 3 gallon pots. At 3 mos, you are probably super root bound. There are probably some other issues in play, but if you free up the root system in a well aereted soil, you will probably see some amazing changes.
    I haven't grown in soil for a while, but i would give that a try first.
    peace

4. that may be a part of it but no way those plants look as they do from being rootbound alone. They'd most likely be quite larger if it was rootbinding issues. jmho

5. Ok, so after reading quite a bit and learning as I go.. I have to ammend my last data... The temps were skewed because of a Janky thermometer set up.. Plus the 3 150W CFLs that I had in the beginning are actually 3 47W (daylight 5000K full spectrum gimmick bulbs) but they say they have the 150W power and tricked me... just like they tricked me with all the Full Spectrum nonesense...

Here is the temps and Humidity at the old Location..

[​IMG]

Here is the temps and humidity at the new location

[​IMG]

here is my nifty soil ph tester reading right at 7ph...

[​IMG]

So my meter also tests moisture... so all the pots are still very wet at the bottom so I have held off watering.. I have been in the habit of watering every 3 days or so... I am starting to think overwatering..

ever since I started I would get good growth on the tops then the bottom fan leaves would yellow at the tips curl up a bit... then yellow out drop off and leave a nice top plant..

I am very new at this growing, I just assumed the bottom leaves weren't getting the light they needed so I ran out and got a giant 400W MH like a moron to get things on track...

The little clones are growing good now, (probably 4 times better than before) with the new light and location...but still little yellow tips on a few fan leaves...

thanks for the help.. I appreciate it.

6. that ph meter may not be too accurate. I've heard that those type of meters are junk from a few ppl. Nvr tried one but for a true reading of the ph, I'd get a 60 dollar ph pen which will give you very accurate readings. flush a plant with three times the size of the pot worth a ph balanced water. so a 1 gallon pot would need three gallons of water run throuh it. Then test the ph of the water and see if it went up or down.

You'll get shit back on track :)

7. Pretty sure you're starving those ladies man... get some better nutes (throw away the MG crap) and give them a good feeding, they should perk up after that.

8. Yeah Yeah... get a digital ph pen... I ordered one already.. it'll be here in a few days... I could only come up with this janky test in town for now..

Looks like the soil ph is shockingly alkaline.. Who knew... I am going to repot in 2 gal containers tonight.. the little 2.5 quart pails might not have the juice these MFs need... when I say MF its not cursing, its just who knows if they're Male or Female..

I tried to look real close with the binoculars turned around backwards... (they work like a microscope this way) and cant find hairs or sacks...

This test is ph Green N Pink P blue K orange

[​IMG]

this ph test was taken from soil 4 inches down following the instructions to the letter..
    the color is dark green... a little darker than the label with the 8.Ph on it...

Houstan.. we could have a problem!!! The only problem is we don't know what the problem really is!!!

[​IMG]

Whats up with this cheap ass soil... says it will feed plants for 9 months ?!?!?!?

[​IMG]

9. Or maybe this is part of the problem... repotted into 2.5 gal buckets today. Is this a bad case of rootbind or pretty normal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. I don't think they look rootbound man, but that soil is shite. Something organic is better and then you can control the nutes yourself. :) Try FFOF soil, seems to be favoured here.

11. that or happy frog organic potting soil. Its another great choice other the fox farm. Very rich soil with beneficial micro organisms and pretty ideal drainage. I'm very happy with itthus far. :)