Maybe not the 1ST but the best novice grow DIY Hydro/Grow box ever build Diary

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by trillyen, Feb 23, 2009.

1. I'll be getting clones soon from someone with some experience growing. He recommended White Widow and Bubble Gum for my setup. Probably one of each, and it will be a soil grow.

Yeah it's a pain to open up, especially when you're wearing a bath robe and the side bolt gets caught on you and refuses to let go. (True story).

The job thing sucks but I think it'll work out for me. I've applied to a Canadian Tire garden center, and I have a great resume and reference for in there so hopefully that comes through for me because the research I've done on how to grow easily translates to many other plants. I should also be able to pick up a lot of knowledge from working that job as well.

What strains were you planning? Hope it wasn't mentioned already.

2. Looks good :) Are you going to line the inside of the box with mylar or something else?

3. I just screwed the top rectangle together, then the bottom one. and connected them with the vertical pieces.

Went camping actually but if I hadn't done that I would have been partying.:D

I order my supplies from Discount Hydro, they ship anywhere. They have some of the best prices I have seen, even with shipping. They are based in California. If you need lights inside sun sells refurbished ones for a good price, but I think you said you already have some... I got my 400hps w/ bulb for $100

I don't know if using the peatmoss sponge in a hydro system would work. I have always been apprehensive about using organic mediums in my hydro setup. You could try it though...

4. LOL, yeah it looks like itd be a real pain to get in and out of, why dont u just take the bath robe off, or r u hugh heffner or some thing... lmfao....just kidding

So yea thats sounds like a cool job to have n this hobby good luck man i wish u the best on that

The strains im gonna grow is white widow, shark shock (because i like the bright red buds), and ak-48 because i think i can get some good yields from that strain!!!:hello:

that is if they ever get here

i ordered them off of the high times thing some seed company with a guranntee, its been about a week and a half

im hoping theycome soon but really no hurry cause i aint ready to grow yet any way

i think im gonna start on my doors tonight!!

thanks man i really appreciate that. no im planning on lining my veg box with aluminum foil since ill just be using flouresents, and just painting my flowering box with white paint

i got sooo much more work to do wow!!!!

Ohh ok i see what u r saying now about your build yeah i guess that might work a little faster i may try that on my flower box if this weekend ever gets here

hope u had fun camping, i know its really relaxing and full of nature, hopefully u sowed some seeds while u were out there:smoking:

discount hydro, aint u the 1 that told me about 4 hydroponics . com, maybe not but ill have to look then up tho i like buying used stuff i cant lie

How much for a hps ballast??? Used or nes well i guess i could look huh

if its to much ill just use the ballast i got and buy a conversion bulb im ure itd be cheaper that way any way

dude i cant wait to post some pics of my sprouts on here it seems like its gonna be forever before i do gosh!!!

Naw i aint gonna use the peat moss pucks for nothing but my dirt plants, i ordered some stonewool cubes with the slites on the side last night from 4hydroponics. com along with 8 5.5 in net cups

hopefully theyll be here soon

thanks for all the feed back on this slow ass start up guys, at least im getting my research n before i just go into it blindly tho!!!!

5. ^^^^ $100 400 watt hps w/reflector
    you can add on a conversion bulb if u want

Using what you already have is always cheaper

Good luck with the Hydro... I have had reasonably good success for my first couple of harvests. Don't forget to condition your rockwool before you use it. A PH meter and EC meter will probably come in handy too.

6. hey i must have missed this post w a grower sorry man

yeah id like to use the ballast i already got, and get a conversion bulb do u know how much they are???

How do i condition my rockwool, just wash it off or something???

Finally a up date worth while ive made alot of progress in my grow box build eonight im very proud

IN THIS PIC U CAN SEE IM ADDING DOOR HINGES FOR THE DOOR THAT I ALSO ADDED IN THE FOLLOWING PICS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IN THIS NEXT PIC U CAN SEE THE DOORS I ADDED ON MY VEG BOX

[​IMG]

AND FINALLY I GOT THE DOORS ON AND EVEN GOT MY FLOWERING BOX DONE SOME WHAT TONIGHT BUT NOT ALL THE WAY, I MAY TRY AND ADD THE DOORS TO IT TOMORROW

THE VEG BOX MAY NOT LOOK LIKE IT BUT IT IS ALSO LIGHT PROOF NOT THAT IT NEEDS TO BE BUT IT IS TRUST ME I WAS INSIDE THERE,LOL

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah im pretty happy with the set up thus far

i do have a question though i was wondering if a JIFFY MIX ORGANIC potting soil is ok to start out with i dont thin it has any nutes, so should i put some kind of something in the dirt like a worm casting or something just for trace nutrients for the young seedlings???

Also i was wondering when i do get my nutes for my hydro, i can use the same nutes on my organic soil plants also correct???

i would think so!!![​IMG]

i think im gonna just get some nutes from my local garden center but none of them specialize in hydro so its gonna have to be like soil like nutes will those work ok for my hydro???

i was thinking like a liguid nute but i might go with a powder if i find 1 good enough, any suggestions would be really appreciated

Also i got my seeds today 3/8/2009, and i got 2 white widow seeds (reg) 2 shark shock (reg) and 1 ak-48 (reg)

1 of my damn shark shock seeds was cracked but im still gonna try to germ it, it wasnt that bad but im seriously thinking y the hell would they send me a cracked seed???

i sent them a e-mail so ill see what happens

i got the seeds from THE SEED COMPANY on HIGHTIMES.COM the one with the SHIPPING GURRANTEE

Hopefully theyll send me a new seed but if it sprouts ill tell them not to, itd be nice to have them send me some seeds for the trouble tho

Thanks in advance for the comments and answers to my questions.....

Stay High!!!

7. I was wondering if i have the right kind of set up for a sea of green every 2 weeks yield.

Or do i nedd yet another grow area, if so i may build one out of a card board box or something i wanna try a sea of green for a little while!!!!

8. I'd say about 50-80 bucks, what kind of ballast do you have?

To condition rockwool you have to soak the cubes in water that has a PH of 5 or so. You can lower the PH with lemon juice, vinegar or hydrogen peroxide.

That soil looks good, don't add anything to it yet. Start the seeds in the soil and once they have a couple nodes transplant them to bigger pots. in the bigger pots use soil with nutes mixed in. You can also transplant just before flowering.

As for the nutes, I don't think you will find any that will be good for hydro. You're best off ordering some. There are organic nutes that will work in hydro and soil like pura vida, and some others.

Hope you get some more seeds!

9. Germ the seeds in a cup of water until they crack to save yourself several days.

Putting them directly in soil only makes you check up on nothing but dirt for over a week!

10. Damn you only got a few seeds? How much were they? I paid $55 for 10 seeds from highgrade-seeds, and they sent me 14...

11. 50 or 80 bucks aint bad i can swing that i guess... But where can i get a tester to test the ph my water is, im using ro/di water, and my ppm in my water is like 4 so is there a guess on what the ph for water at 4 to 5 ppm would b??

for nutes for my hydro i just got some shultz ALL PURPOSE, i think its like 15-10-15 or something like that, its liquid, i was just gonna use this for my hydro, and my soil grow

thanks when i transplant them i think ill get some worm casting soil or something of that nature!!!

thanks man i hope they just respond to my complaint i mean it aint like u can just call the BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU on them or something

lol

Yep i got them sitting in water cups right now, the journey has began

THE SOWING OF THA SEED......

Tonight i got alot more work done to my grow box check it out and let me know what u think

no discription neccessary as of the momment i guess!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TELL ME DO U GUYS THINK THAT SHULTZ NUTE WILL BE OK FOR MY HYDRO NUTES ITS LIKE 15-10-15 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT?????

DO I JUST DILUTE THE NUTE A LITTLE FOR A WHILE IN THE HYDRO, AND THEN AS THE PLANTS DEVELOP ADD STRONGER AND STRONGER FOR THE HYDRO, AND SOIL, THE SHULTZ NUTE ALL PERPOSE IS IN LIGUID FORM ALSO

IM GONNA GIVE HER A TRY, JUST WANTED SOME THOUGHTS, I DONT HAVE THE $$$$$$ TO ORDER NO NUTES OF THE NET RIGHT NOW

AND I HAVE BEEN PATIENT FOR A WHILE NOW LOL

THANKS FOR THE HELP, AND FOR READING

12. #52 zpyro, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2009
    That's not how pH or TDS (total dissolved solids, what your PPM reads) works, they both measure completely different things. Go to the local aquarium store and get a kit to test the water pH. Make sure it's in the range you need, freshwater should be good, the saltwater kit is too high (I think like 7-14, you need your soil to be 6.3-6.8). Just a small glass vial and cap, a bottle of pH testing solution and a color card. Put water in the vial to the line, put in 3 drops of testing soln., shake and check on the color chart. They also sell pH Up and Down, makes it really simple to get the pH to where you want it.

13. rhanks man, that helps i dont know why i aint think of that

So what do u think about my nute shultz for now should i be ok

i think i will or i think u would have told me if i was making a BIG mistake

thanks man!!!

14. dunno about the nutes, I didn't even consider bothering with nutes that weren't made for growing bud. I got bottles of nutes from the hydro store for $15 ("Sugar Peak"), and you've seen the results I've gotten with them on my first grow. I'd just rather take out any possible problems down the road and use what I know 100% for sure will work, but it's on you. Plenty of people grow with nutes like what you have, I just can't personally say one way or the other if it's good or bad

15. I will look for sugar peak thank u i want somethink more along those lines any way and i can drop 15 bucks easy, hell im over budget any way

thanks alot!!!

16. Nice thats what im gonna order, i didnt see any way to order that stuff but thats what im gonna get, a 2 part thingy,lol

I got my NET CUPS and ROCKWOOL in the mail today im about to dip my rockwool cubes in the water after i test it for ph

the tester only tests for 6.0 and above so i may try to keep my ph around 6.0 at all times for right now til i get more expierenced at hydro and til i get a better kit tester

thanks for the help!!!!

17. Wow im coming along great, other than not having my nutes yet MY AK-48 sprouted in 24 hrs, and my white widow sprouted also in 24 hours, my shark shock hasnt did anything yet, nor has my UNKNOWN strain im growing

i planted the seeds last night before bed, now im just waiting......

:hello:

18. totally diggin the setup bro! So these saltwater lights ur using, whats the wattage and what type are they? Check out my grow thread... I'm getting ready to use my closet for my grow box and im debating on using my saltwater aquarium lights from my old hobby for my grow. Drop in and let me know what you think and give me some pointers man! I'll try to step into the hydro side by May when I start into my second grow. I'll have a whole room in my basement for the next run.

19. WOW, a whole basment thats impressive, i cant imagine dude...

the lights im using are 250 watts metal halides, and im gonna buy a hps light thats a conversion bulb that i can use on a halide ballast, im also gonna use my power compact bulbs for lighting the sides of my flowering room and the hps light for the tops

ill look for your thead tonight and let u know what i think...

anything i can help with i will tho just ask

what all do u know about hydro????