May be kicked out of college...this sucks.

Discussion in 'General' started by Blaze_It_Up420, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Alright so I'm a freshman at University of Massachusett-Dartmouth and I absolutly love it there. If you remmeber 2 months ago I got in a fist fight on campus( guy hit a girl) and was put on residential probation, if i do something wrong I'm fucked.

So a month or so ago, it was a friday night and I was with some friends. Round 2:30am we head to this quad and there happens to be a beirut table there and some empty beer cans. Me and my friends were pretty sober mind you(drunk but convinced the RA's). After bein there 5 mins the RA's came by and wrote everyone in the room up. I had to have a special case brought to the judicial coordinator, who was in charge of the fight case. Now this bitch has a huge bias against me and wants me gone.

So today I had my pre-hearing, where I choose which hearing I want. Now keep in mind the RD let everyone else that was sober in the room off fine, no nothing. I go in, pretty confident its gonna be alright. Well, I was wrong. She goes off about how I obviously dont care about being a student here or I wouldnt have gone in the room. I kept saying I didnt do anything wrong, I wasnt drinking, and I had just gotten there 5 min ago. She looked it up on the handbook and apparently being around empty beer cans while sober is the same as if you have one in your hand and are cocked.

Basically tells me I'm pretty much gone from the school and should start looking at plan B when I'm ready for college. I figured when I walked in that room I would be fine since I was sober etc. My RA even said he would take my case that I was sober.

My dad is so fuckin pissed at the school, about to drive down right now. This bias bitch is using this bullshit to ruin my education. I have a hearing next thursday to settle this infront of a board of students/factulty/staff.

God I need to blaze...this fuckin sucks so much god damnit.....I love this school and I dont want to leave all my friends which I had tons of behind.

2. I hate to say it, but it's not really bias... you WERE on probation.

I really hope it works out for you though!! Maybe you could get your friends to speak on your behalf and establish your innocence of wrong-doing?

Just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

3. good luck man i've been in trouble at school before so i know all about it... luckily i stayed out of enough trouble to stay in.

4. It doesnt make sense though. My friend Ali was in the room with me, same situation.

They find her not guilty and she gets off fine. I dont get why me being on probation would make me all of a sudden guilty?

5. Well the thing about probation is that things like this WONT slip though. They probably (this is just how I'm taking it) let it slide because it's the first offense. As where you have a record, and situations like this get intense scrutiny

Thats why you'll need to prove that you didn't do anything wrong to be scrutinized about; it's just a bad situation from their perspective. Take that initiative, show them that you ARE enthusiastic about this school by going that extra mile.

6. looks like whoever it is that's handling your stuff just decided they didn't like you the first time, and now you've "given them a reason" which is bullshit. This is why you should party on the floors with gay RAs, like we did when i was in the dorms. I don't know why, but for some reason all they gay RA's were cool as shit when it came to parties, rules, etc. My RA was gay and he let us have 2 kegs on our floor, one in each bathroom. the only rules were drink in your room, door closed, and keep one of the showers on, so no one would have a reason to go look in there.

7. That's so true, my RA freshman year was gay. He caught us smoking blunts on our fire escape, smuggling in 30 racks and bags of ice...everything. Didn't care. That's why whenever someone tried to make a joke about him being gay, everyone stuck up for him because he was cool as hell. He was a graduate student, so he was a good deal older than us, too.

As for the original story in this thread, yeah man that sucks, but that's what probation is about. You gotta be smart where you're seen. Why does this person have a bias? Have you done things in the past that would give someone that opinion?

8. My RA is gay actually, hes the one who wrote me up with the ARD.

9. "Don't take any guff from these fucking swine."

-Raoul Duke

• Like Like x 1
  10. My RA would buy us 30 cases, but we had to tip him nicely.

But yeah dude, do what RastaMan said, try and get your friends to speak on your behalf.

11. yeah that sucks dude. Great school too.

But it is THEIR school with THEIR rules and they can do pretty much whatever they want.

"Life is a bitch, and it has puppies"

12. well, as much as i hate to say it, like R_M said, you were on probation. now, if you in no way were made aware that being in the room with beer cans was a violation... plead your case that way. as dumb as it sounds, you can't be expected to observe laws that you weren't aware existed... that said, they'll probably say you have a handbook, it's your responsibility to know the rules.

my guess is that you'll have to get your father down there (make sure he's calm) and set a private meeting with this woman BEFORE your next hearing to discuss just how serious you are about continuing your education at that institution. perhaps create an ultimatum for yourself, whereby if you do fuck up again there is no hearing...you'll pack your bags and get out... but you'll have to commit to that...also suggest that this will last until you've served your probation

i think if you work hard to stay there and keep on this woman (in a positive and non-threatening way) she'll understand that you really do want to graduate and that you can do it

13. That sounds shitty, hope things work out.

14. Sucks man

I think i might go to UMD next year, im right around here

15. If you don't want to go, don't leave without a fight.

Dress up in a suit or at least a dress shirt, tie, and khakis for your hearing. Come well prepared to state your case. Be remorseful as well, let this council know that you should have realized that it was a bad situation to be in, but you still have a desire to excel accademically.

If your grades are good, use this in your favor. If they are not so good, so be it; simply say that you've realized this is a turning point in your life and you need to walk the razor from here on out, etc..

16. First of all, I'm certain that the rulebook doesn't say that being around beer cans is equal as having one in your hand. I recommend you get a copy of the rulebook and do your own research. No reputable university will have rules like that; it's against basic legal principles/human rights. Secondly, I recommend you take a constitutional law class during college. Knowing your rights and the law is the best form of self defence in modern society.

17. Also, did they make you take a breathalizer to determine if you were drinking or not? Without physical evidence, it will be the RA's word against yours. If that's so, given that you're given a fair hearing, you will be given a warning at most. The fact that you were on probation doesn't matter. Don't let them use that to scare you. The RA might try to intimidate you, but stick to your story and you will walk out acquitted!!! Good luck.

18. Guess who they're going to believe? A university appointed and selected Resident Advisor, or a GP (General Population) student?

I had a friend that went down in a similar situation when i was a freshman in college. He had been to a party and smoked some green, but he dropped visine and he was straight. Coming back into the dorm, an RA smelled it on his clothes and he was eventually put on probation because the RA was a dick and said that he saw him smoking weed outside in the smoking area. His word lost.

19. It doesn't matter who they believe. One's word against another's is not the way the law works. Those who make the decision if he gets to stay or not, are going to be required to look at the facts and consider the arguments based on facts. If there are no facts to be established here, and no evidence to be introduced, there is no case. Do your research. From a legal standpoint, there's no way they should be kicking you out.

20. I was put on academic probation for UCONN and it sucked, it all went downhill after I changed my major and took myself out of the school of nursing.

But this isn't about me, Dartmouth is a great school, do everything you can to stay there. Drinking on campuses are huge problems and most schools are getting a lot stricter about their policies on underage drinking. The cops arrest you if they catch you drinking or drunk at my old school, so having your RA bust a little party, you should be thankful. Just try to get good grades and don't do anything stupid the semester isn't over, show them that you mean business and you're here to stay.