Maximum Wage?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dannyszu, Feb 12, 2014.

1. There is in fact an invisible hand.

Who do you think farms all the food wallmart sells? The 99%. Yea thays right. Us.

And we outnumber them.

If thinks were really that bad, we would do something about it

But everyone needs to be on board.

There are strikes and revolutions going on all over the world because they actually do have it bad.

They arent happening in america because we actually have it good.

Why are the 99% not just taking what is theirs? Lets face it, the other 98% just dont agree with you. Deal with it

Sent from my LG-E739 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Ben and Jerry's originally had a rule that the CEO couldn't make more than 5x what the lowest paid employee did. This didn't work, as they couldn't find find someone to replace that CEO. Then it was 7x. That didn't work. 17x. That didn't work either.

As you may know, Ben and Jerry's is one of the most socially responsible companies, and they tried. It just wasn't a good model and didn't really help anyone.

This, obviously, is anecdotal, but it makes sense as to why it would be difficult to implement. They have to compete for the best leadership in the world. That is going to require some dollars.

If any business wants to make it's own rule about salaries, well, God bless America. It doesn't bother me.

3. #43 Tokewithscience, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
    Let's not forget that ceos are paid with money that you give then (let's pretend subsidies don't exist for a sec.) If you think they are greedy, stop paying them money. Or better yet, start a better business and pay yourself less... what's that? The LLCs have used the guns of the *state* to keep you from compeeting? How about that! See what the real problem is now?

It must be easy to decry the evils of the free market from your armchair, never having to actually participate in the market. Go start a business.

When you can't keep the heat on let alone pay yourself a salary because the tax man is robbing you blind, maybe you'll understand that greed is not the issue here.

4. I have started and ran a very successful business.
    I have also watched corporate raiders do hostile takeovers. I have seen them rape a business of all it's assets and turn a quick profit for themselves. Destroying a viable business in their Greed.
    I see this free market allow many to gamble on their stock, sometimes coming out a bit ahead and sometimes losing. Then that capital is used to buy out non-competing business and expand their empires, ultimately to the detriment o the small players. :smoke:

5. Yup. Corporations are bad. No argument here.

That wasn't really my point... we don't have a free market now, we have almost the opposite so I'm not surprised hear about your experience... but corporations are just legal fictions created by the government.

The thing people do in discussions of this nature is try to divorce big business and government. One side says, it's all the governments fault, the other side says, its all corporations fault. They are one and the same.

There would be no corporations without governments to violently protect their assets and interests and there would be no government without money printed by the Fed (a private corporation) and funneled into the system by large corporations!

This notion that we need government to regulate corporations is ridiculous. Its like saying we need plantation owners to help regulate overseers; it creates a false dichotomy and distracts us from the actual issue... slavery!

Remember kids, if they can get you asking the wrong questions, it doesn't matter what the answers are.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Grasscity Forum mobile app

6. If the market was any freer, we'd all be dead, or worse, alive and living under its iron fist of indifference and violence.

7. I'll start by saying I'm no economomist, I just think we need better handling of the essential necessities that are treated in the market as everyday goods. And I'm really curious...WTF would a CEO do aside from having stress from dealing with a mass amount of money and an extremely high amount of responsibility? Which... I'm questioning it goes that far in some/most companies.

That's all shit I'd agree with, you sound pessimistic overall in your responses. The issue is well and clearly understood for most people I would say (Canada atleast, Europe no doubt). Now..you say society as a whole needs to strike and boycott. You too know well that the media is bought out. If you do that, you have a blood pumping artery into the subconscious mind of the masses, where then is the forum (hehe) to change any of this? 

Refer to top post questioning these CEOs that work their asses off. Lol communism! I have a funny feeling the CEO of wal-mart isn't getting paid pretty shit since his employees are some of the worst paid...or so I've heard. How in the world is the guy at the top gunna give two shits about the guy stocking the shelves when he doesn't even know the lip pierced, hair dyed pussy fucker? This has nothing to do with Obama, puppets shouldn't run countries.

I really don't think you guys have it that good, I'm confident if the automotive industry did not have its century long reign on transportation and was subject to working WITH all engineers, scientists, quantum physicists, god knows who else would help....on projects with the goal of global change for better/optimal forms of transportation. OR having multiple companies doing the same thing for the same goal holding status quo with the next TV ad or some other ridiculous form of advertising. Which makes me think man...you ever sit there watchin TV the odd day, and on comes a dreaded overzealous car commercial. I mean how many fuckin ways can they sell something that essentially does the same thing transporting you from A to B. They're all essentially the same thing, just ones shittier than the next. 

Random sidenote...NFL doesn't pay taxes, neither does the NHL (not 100% sure) your telling me they can't contribute to society after becoming such a huge media event? Weird..

And what about franchises like McDonalds or whatever (ya I know they might have some ties to the headquarters, they're not all the same sure...) THAT ARE OLYMPIC SPONSORS. Or Coke...and because they sponsor the games they get to splash their name and letcha know that us guys are helping bring home the medal. Which makes me think...how about all of those "brought to you by XXXXXX" 5 second segments before a show or some shit..I mean how wack is that, there's no way this tampon company has anything to do with MTV.

To address the topic though, I feel once a company has big of a social impact as McDonalds, Coca Cola, Pepsi, Wal-Mart, Campbells, Quaker, and so on it should almost be "given" to people. It's initial run of greed has evidently worked and people want this product, we can't let the greed continue into the hands of those who run the business. It's Coke and McDonalds for fucks sake...

8. whenever you set artificial or arbitrary rules/restrictions like that you are asking for trouble. its a bad idea the same reason pot laws are a bad idea.

the only way to have a perfect economy is with an decentralized currency and totally free markets only governed by supply and demand.

9. I think CEO's do more than you think they do, but i dont think the average middle class worker should get the same amount of money, or get a big pay increase. I think that, when in a steady economy, the middle class workers, who stand out, and work hard, will get a pay increase from their CEO. Thats the incentive to work hard, they will most likely get a better wage, thats what raises do. But in a bad economy CEO's cant give all their employees raises, if that means that the CEO starts to lose money. Im from a middle class family, so i see were your coming from, but the jobs i worked at, were bad jobs, i got minimum wage of the bat. But after i stuck with that company i was given a pay increase from my dedication. 

10. #50 ICGreen, Feb 13, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2014
    Un-necessary rudeness at it's best (worst). :smoke:

Blanket statements like, capitalism is the down fall of society, freedom, is inferring that those who believe in capitalism are stupid or naive. I shouldnt have liked the above but c'mon man.. lets get some substance in her. 

12. #52 forty winks, Feb 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2014
    I didn't infer anything about what others' believe, just stated what I believe, albeit flippantly.  But the _Mang has really thin skin, hence his insult towards me.  But I won't report his violation as he's massively irrelevant on every level.

13. #53 lilro, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2014
    Doesn't matter.

What happens when a grocery store CEO reaches his 200k limit by January 8th? Close all the stores until next year?

Dumb idea is dumb.

Speaking of the Olympics, did you know American athletes have to pay taxes on the medals they win?

This fucking cuntry, man.

When he was only about 50 posts into his temporary stay here on GC, I realized the best course of action was to finally use that "ignore" option in the settings.  Only the 2nd time I've used it in the 4-5 years I've read and participated here.  Since then the politics section has largely regained civil and intellectual consistency.

Holy shit dude. You're so right...we wouldn't be able to eat anymore, the fuck was I thinking?

Dumb interpretations is dumb.

16. I wonder if Penelope runs her own business like she advocates forcing other business's to do.

17. I dont see the wealthy being any more important than the next guy. The problem i have is that, the rights of the "rich" are being violated, and they are forced to pay huge sums of money. I think thats wrong, and is Communism. 

But where would I get all my laughs?  It's not often you hear a guy spouting pro-feudalist talking points these days and privatizing the very air we breath.

You should learn more about Communism.

Good point.  I shouldn't pass up on those laughs.  

This dude has learned everything he knows from One book.....guess which one. Did you know America was founded by Christians, to be a Christian Nation...and Liberals fucked it up? lol....