Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Massage Therapy and Medical Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Coffee_Mate, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Hows it goin' guys?
    I have a few questions regarding Massage Therapy and Medical Marijuana. I recently started Massage Therapy school in Oregon. The program is 800 hours, which exceeds the states requirement of 500 hours to become licensed, which makes me able to practice in any state (except for New York and Nebraska which requires 1,000). Also, there is a supervised clinic consisting of 50 individual 1 hour massages as part of an on-site internship. A lot it's a lot of hands-on work and learning about Anatomy and Physiology.
    Upon starting courses, I've found myself liking it more and more everyday and as I start to think about what I can do with massage in the future and the vast array of massage modalities I'm soon to learn, I'm drawn to more holistic, alternative medicine and natural healing. Which if you smoke and feel strongly about it's prohibition, you can see where I'm coming from wanting to help make it a reputable source of medicine for people.
    I realize that Massage Therapy is becoming more and more of a recognized medical practice and is growing at an alarming rate as not just a luxury (if you didn't know, it is. How many massage therapists are there in the United States? | Massage Register.com) but as a safer approach to the American norm of giving
    everybody prescriptions for pharmaceutical drugs. I've seen first hand with my mother and close friend that have taken drugs like anti-depressants and heavy duty pain relievers that didn't help, but made conditions worse, which led to more hospital visits, more payments and inevitably, more prescriptions for drugs. With that being said, I am also a strong supporter of legalizing marijuana (as I'm sure most of us here are) for medicine and learning for myself that cannabis is a legitimate healing source along with other herbs that are safer for your body and brain. And I know for the Medical Marijuana Community to flourish, it needs licensed professionals behind it researching, adequately prescribing and advocating it. What I was wondering is how, as an up coming massage therapist, can I make a difference for the Medical Marijuana Community and how to get involved/find a dispensary or clinic that offers massage?

Thanks Guys!

Also, if you have any stories to share, please do!

2. I have experience with smoking a bowl after having done an exercise session. i went to meditate at the sun and it will activate your pineal gland if you do it properly.
    -
    as far as marijuana and massage, i would recommend it depending on the toxicity levels of the patient. as marijuana can be toxic to certain individuals. everybody is unique as you know

3. I think only a few dispensaries offer massages but most are open to new ideas. There's one in my town that would probably jump on the idea of in-club massages. Just go to the clubs that are high end and popular and offer your services, obviously the low budget ones won't be interested.

4. hello, i guess great minds do think alike, i had the same idea around the same time you did and that's why i went to massage therapy school here, teachers and students that i shared the idea with said how great of an idea it is and said i should make a business and i created one for a school project. i have tried on several people and the love it that way more, they are more relaxed and i could work deeper and they always feel great for the next few days. i just finished school and waiting to take the national test. recently ive been trying to find ways to get a research study done and so forth. please share any ideas with me and ill share what ive experienced and we should start a movement to make this possible. thank you

5. Where I live there is a safe access point where there is a misuse who will give massage with medicated topical ointment. You just melt. :p