Massage Therapists

Discussion in 'Fitness, Health & Nutrition' started by anDROIDy, Nov 13, 2012.

1. I didn't know where else to put this thread but I'm considering going to school for Massage Therapy. Is anybody here in Grasscity certified? Anybody a massage therapists that can tell me about the profession like work hours, pay, benefits, etc? The idea of making ppl feel better as a profession in a relaxed and calm atmosphere is appealing to me :)

2. #2 Trogdor, Nov 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
    I am a certified massage therapist. My work hours, pay, and benefits are zilch because I don't work as a massage therapist. It is really hard to get a job in the field because the economy is in such shit shape and there are many self massage tools out there that are cheap and do a fine job of providing relief from physical pain. IF, however, you can provide people with emotional release, there migt be a job out there for you
    Be careful not to let massage schools sucker you in. They are expensive make every aspect of the career seem easier than it actually is. All you'll actually get from school is your license, they don't teach much.
    If you really want to work as a massage therapist, what you need are great soft skills/social skills/communication skills; you need to be someone who people like to talk to. You need to like to listen to other peope's problems, relate, offer decent advice (think bartender at lonely bar)
    Also you've got to be up for the administrative side of it if you want to have your own business. Paying rent, taxes, record keeping, insurance, all that jazz.
    Unless you have strong hands, a strong back, great work ethic, great communication skills, like paperwork, and have $10,000 to spend on school, it doesn't make an ideal career.