Massachusetts Marijuana Initiative?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by 2313, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Will there be a ballot question in Massachusetts about the outright legalization of marijuana during 2013-2014? Is it realistic to think by 2016 there could be a national ballot question about the legalization of marijuana?

2. It's possible, with it being obamas last year. He could try to raise democratic support by trying to legalize, but Im not holding my breath.

3. Federal drug control outside of taxation, transport across state lines and/or international borders, is a violation of 10th amendment of the bill of rights of the united states constitution. 

4. Obama may hint towards a more lenient policy before he leaves office but I doubt it. He knows it is impossible to get such a policy past the Senate, never mind the House of representatives Hillary, if she runs will most likely talk about our country becoming more lax on a national marijuana policy but knows it is political suicide to endorse legalization especially this close to a presidential run. No mainstream presidential politician will stick their neck out to arm their opponents with the ammo they need to crush them in an election. That said...Legalization MUST be fought in the states. Support any local representative that will vote for legalization/decriminalization in your state...the rest will follow; however slowly.

5. #5 2313, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2013
    Which is irrelevant because of the Necessary and Proper Clause which the federal government used to expand its power over the states. It is used to regulate interstate commerce even though the federal government isn't supposed to

6. And just to be clear a ballot initiative has nothing to do with the president or any politician, they are created by citizens

7. Ballot initiatives are state issues, not federal.

8. #8 old_iron_lungs, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2013
    Actually, if you knew anything about the necessary and proper clause, you will find that it does not infringe on the 10th amendment. It allows congress to makes all necessary and proper laws concerning "foregoing powers" which are described in Article I, Section 8 of the United States Constitution as being: Taxation, Military, Interstate Commerce, Immigration, international trade, and other various powers. They can tax something, prevent it from being moved across state lines or the borders, enact sales laws such as age limits, but it CAN NOT outrightly ban anything. That right is reserved by the states within the 10th amendment. I am only trying to explain the real meaning of our constitution because as far as I am concerned the feds havn't been truly following it for a very long time.

9. It allows the government to regulate interstate commerce