Mason Tvert on FOX News

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by CannabisInCanada, May 12, 2009.

1. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgij9mi84Do]YouTube - The Govenator wanted a debate on legalization, and he got one![/ame]

2. I'm not a fan of Mason's debate approach. He needs to not relate it to alcohol so much... that's not what people want to see. They should cite studies showing marijuana is not addictive and debunking the "gateway theory" shit. Or talk about how people are less likely to use harder drugs because they wont have to go through dealers who market the other stuff to them.

3. I'm not too big a fan either Mcgee, but from what I understand this guy was pretty important in Denver's decriminalization, so maybe his style does work.

4. While I wasn't really a fan of that approach either, I think alot of non-smokers don't realize the truth, and it does need to be stated many more times for it to click with people. Although I do think he should've cited some studys, I think his point was well made.

All in all, a good clip. Quite obviously, as everyone agrees, FOX is extremely biased, so it's no surprise they gave the anti-marijuana guy more time to speak.. However, I do think he got shot down pretty badly. And people who actually have facts can call "BULLSHIT".

5. Mason's awesome!
    :D

6. I like Mason's approach, he presents facts in a clear and concise fashion, he won't take a backseat and let others take over the debates, him and ethan nadellman i find are the best debaters on the subject. I do like Rob Kampia but he's far too reserved and quiet in the debates ive seen him in. Also Allen St Pierre the executive director of NORML(?),i watched him the other day and id have thought that being the head of the biggest activist group he'd be great but he barely spoke at all.

But props to all of them for speaking out about it and coming across well in almost all interviews.

Oh another note, what the fuck is stephen baldwin doing in like 50% of the debates, i mean cant they find someone else to debate it becoming legal?

7. I smoke every day. I am not addicted and I will never ever want to do heroin or meth.

8. Wow. Another whole 4 minutes of time devoted to having a serious discussion of drug reform. Bravo again to the American media giving us what our ADD short attention spans can handle. :rolleyes:

"Force people into treatment." Is treatment a drug??? Certainly I've never had a drug dealer "force" me to do anything. :rolleyes: A guy with a book to sell on treatment wants to force people into treatment. Wow. Shocker. Can the special interests be any more blatant, and why doesn't a host like that who is supposed to be an objective journalist point this glaring irony out?? The media is a sham.

9. Mason is one of the better debaters, people need someway to connect to what marijuana does and that is through alcohol, it makes it easier to understand.

10. #10 CannabisInCanada, May 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2009
    I like the way he talks. He aims to distance marijuana from alcohol. The thing that pisses me off, I'm ALWAYS waiting for... but it never comes...

"Marijuana's social costs will NOT outweigh the profits gained by taxing it. This is a ridiculous argument, for one, you cannot overdose or smoke too much weed. Two, the violence associated with alcohol is one of the primary sources of its social costs, marijuana, as reported by the Nixon Government makes people less prone to anger and violence. Three, there has not been any consensus in the scientific community that cannabis is detrimental to the lungs, to the contrary, the smoke itself the only thing that has proven potentially harmful, if legal a great edible industry could be constructed.

and finally... why this argument has no legitimacy, if there were ANY social costs associated with smoking marijuana, they would be around by now."

THAT. That's what I want to hear. Every time an opponent brings up kids, throw the fact that kids can already access marijuana easier than alcohol and that dealers don't ask for ID.

It's not like we'll all start smoking ourselves silly and become drastically unproductive, in fact, I'd wager that I'd use cannabis more responsibly.

WE NEED GOOD SPEAKERS.

11. Mason is great, he is the best. His approach in stating that marijuana is phenomenaly safer then alcohol, America's favorite past time, is genius.

12. #12 BrizzlyBear, May 14, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2009
    FUCK Fox news.

Who am I kidding? News? They don't deserve to be called a news station. This is pure shit.

13. how stupid is that other cunt, it wouldve been poofs like him that wrote the script for reefer madness. i dont know how so many people can still think hooch is bad for you. even if it was, youse sell oxycontin and morphine and shit at the local store so whats the big deal.

ps common sense mustnt exist in america. youse sell guns and ammo, the sole use of which is to murder someone or something, but they dont wanna legalise marijuana in the small chance that it may hurt someone.

14. im a thc addict

15. i like the fact that his argument was calm and collective. many debaters pro legalizing get worked up when they spew the facts around and even though they have compelling argument, they only further prepetuae the steryotypes that go along with pot smokers being uncontrolling. its unfortunate he did not have more time to debate that thc is not scientificly proven to be addictive.