Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Mary Jane in Tea?

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by Johnny88, Dec 4, 2011.

1. My friend told me that if you put bud in a tea bag, put it in hot water, etc. You can drink it and get high, like an edible. I don't believe it, I thought that the THC had to be absorbed with oil or butter.

Has anyone ever heard that before? does it work? I'm not about to waist a g to find out it doesn't work lol.

2. Well scientifically speaking, THC is not soluble in water...that should answer your question.

...But then again I have friends who swear by making tea so.....idk. I think they're bullshiting but if I'm wrong please somebody correct me.

3. Yea dude. Like, my friend is so sure about it, but just thinking about it I don't see how it would work. I mean, MAYBE if it had some reaction with cream or milk, but besides that I don't know.

4. google bhang tea.

5. #5 dirtykingpin713, Dec 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
    [quote name='"Johnny88"']My friend told me that if you put bud in a tea bag, put it in hot water, etc. You can drink it and get high, like an edible. I don't believe it, I thought that the THC had to be absorbed with oil or butter.

Has anyone ever heard that before? does it work? I'm not about to waist a g to find out it doesn't work lol.[/quote]

First boil about 1cup of water for a single serving. Then put your plant material in a tea bag, steep for an hour to an hour and a hour and a half while shaking gently every now and then. After that you add one table spoon butter or cannabutter (if you want it to be danker) and enjoy. I've done it before and me and my friend split 1cup tea made with 1.5g of blackberry kush. It was pretty nice. Bhang is something else and not actually just tea. I have a recipe for that if you would like me to post it

6. namaste-

I would love to see your recipe! :)

7. Ingredients:
    2 cups water
    1 ounce marijuana (fresh leaves and flowers of a female plant preferred)
    4 cups warm milk
    2 tablespoons blanched and chopped almonds
    1/8 teaspoon garam masala [a mixture of cloves, cinnamon, and cardamom]
    1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon rose water
    1 cup sugar

Directions:
    Bring the water to a rapid boil and pour into a clean teapot. Remove any seeds or twigs from the marijuana, add it to the teapot and cover. Let this brew for about 7 minutes. Now strain the water and marijuana through a piece of muslin cloth, collect the water and save. Take the leaves and flowers and squeeze between your hands to extract any liquid that remains. Add this to the water. Place the leaves and flowers in a mortar and add 2 teaspoons warm milk. Slowly but firmly grind the milk and leaves together. Gather up the marijuana and squeeze out as much milk as you can.

Repeat this process until you have used about 1/2 cup of milk (about 4 to 5 times). Collect all the milk that has been extracted and place in a bowl. By this time the marijuana will have turned into apulpy mass. Add the chopped almonds and some more warm milk. Grind this in the mortar until a fine paste is formed. Squeeze this paste and collect the extract as before. Repeat a few more times until all that is left are some fibers and nut meal. Discard the residue. Combine all the liquids that have been collected, including the water the marijuana was brewed in. Add to this the garam masala, dried ginger and rosewater. Add the sugar and remaining milk. Chill, serve, and enjoy.

And here's the cannatea recipe-

Ingredients:
    Cup
    Weed
    Water
    Butter or cannabutter
    Heat

Directions:
    Like other herbs, weed may be made into weed tea. Boil the water first and pour it over the weed. Let it steep for longer than you would for common black tea; approximately an hour and a half. Add 1 tsp. of weed butter (cannabutter) or regular butter. Remember: you need the butter in order for the THC to be absorbed into your system. It is fat soluble, not water soluble. The effects are similar to eating it. It is easy to make weed tea and can be combined with mint or any other herbal tea flavors to enhance it's taste.

I just copy pasted them from my cookbook so if some words sound weird that's why

8. This thread comes up a few times a week it seems (sometimes, a few times per day!) [​IMG]

Long story short, you're relying on the fat in your milk to do the job... why not use pure milk fat.

In other words, you should be using butter, preferably after you've clarified it. [​IMG]

A diluted solvent is very ineffective compared to one that is more concentrated, or pure. In any given amount of time, you will promote much more bioavailability (more potency available to your body) in a pure edible solvent, compared to one that is very diluted.

It's just as easy as making your tea, and especially if you only have a little time to spare to make your edible, you need to be sure you're using the best materials possible, to compensate for your brief processing.

The best 'bhang' or canna milk is made using old secret family recipes, which start with pure milk fat, or ghee.

The best bhangs are not the 'quickie recipes' you see in the stalls in India and Balngladesh, which they sell to tourists and locals who don't bother making their own.
    And even then, the best 'quickie' recipes, still rely on having the hash or cannabis soaked and stored with a light coating of oil, before use.

More details below [​IMG]

An excerpt from a similar thread about making 'tea' with cream, rather than milk (and cream has a lot more fat than milk, but still only makes up less than 50% of its total content [​IMG] )...

"Teas made this way (with milk or cream), have widely been for a long, long time, one of the very most disappointing edible/drinkables, because when you get right down to it, the old fashioned water-butter methods of making canna butter (and even waterless methods for making canna butter, using unclarified butter), are considered very outdated and ineffective.

So if pure milk fat, or butter mixed with water is ineffective, just imagine how much potency you miss out on, by processing in an impure oil source such as cream. [​IMG]

The oil in this case is your edible solvent, and cannabis glandular material is not considered water soluble. When your solvent has so much water contamination, it drastically reduces its efficiency, as a solvent.

It's why the water-butters of the old days required between 15 - 24 hours of heating for the best effect... Your milky-tea made this way, will too.

When working with inferior ingredients, you need to compensate for the loss in potency, by multiplying the amount of material you use. However much material you need to feel satisfactory just one time, when processing improperly, that same amount of material may have provided you several, stronger, more powerful doses, with the correct processing. Consuming partially raw or under-processed canna, requires much more material to do the job effectively.

So do yourself a favor, and if you are compelled to make a 'tea', just use clarified milk fat first (ie, clarified butter), make a small, but MUCH more potent portion of oil, then just whisk it into some warm milk that has either been pre-brewed with your favorite tea, or blended with your favorite hot cocoa.

You'll have much better, longer-lasting and stronger effects with the same amount of time and effort, when processing in a more pure solvent, than you can have by processing in a solution that can barely break down glandular material in under a days time.

Of course, making a small portion of oil leaves you with a few more options, as well... [​IMG]

(A spoon of cocoa, a spoon and a half of powdered sugar, a few drops of milk and your oil, and you have some good, quick canna truffles... )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good luck, and Happy Turkey day [​IMG]

PS - and if you're going to do it, avoid the tea bags... [​IMG] They only hinder the process, they keep the material packed together too tightly, and they don't allow for nearly the level of exposure to oil that 'loose leaf' cannabis can allow. Just strain out and discard the excess material after the fact, and you're golden. [​IMG] " - BKS (in 'Pot Tea thread')

PPS - Don't forget to decarb/activate your material.. especially if you wind up going with the milky tea/cocoa. Decarboxylation is the process of removing the carboxyl group in the form of carbon dioxide and water vapor, this is only easily done in a dry environment, or in oil (similar to a potato, becoming a chip) but it can't be done in even close to a reasonable amount of time, or before the cannabinoids degrade, when submerged in water.

Check the CannaPharm Sticky for more details (length of time, temperature etc.) on activation, and processing your butter/oil.

Good luck, and have fun! [​IMG]