martial arts

Discussion in 'All Sports' started by shorinryukid, Jun 19, 2008.

1. hello everybody, havent posted much other than in the recreational section. so i thought id see if anyone else practices martial arts.

i study shorin-ryu full contact martial arts by the way (if you couldnt tell by my screen name):smoking:

2. I studied Tae Kwan Do for quite a few years. Some of our practical instruction, especially higher up, incorporated a lot of judo, Grappling and whatever the name of the fighting style is of the Israeli special forces, I can't ever remember the name.

I still try to practice every so often, but I can't make it to my Dojo anymore and I cant' find a good sparring partner to keep up the chops:-/

3. not sure how its spelled but its krav maga and its intense.

we do some different stuff like pain training. eventualy you can spar bareknuckle when your higher belts. i only wear gloves and the foot/shin guards (head gear sucks). and plan on goin bareknuckle next year in the tournaments. sparrings the awesome.

yeah i havent been able to make it in a while either cause of work but ill be goin back in a couple months. i really dont mind the break because started takin karate for the work out (our work out will get you strong quick) and i work on a farm so its not like im slackin lol

any body else practice it?

4. wud up, im glad some here is into martial arts. i have been doing martial arts for about 5 years nd have tought karate for about a year. i earned a black belt in american freestyle karate and have done traditional japanese shotokan for two years.i also travel alot to comete nd prety much jus live @ the karate studio i work @. anybody else go to the kumite classic in PA last month? and tai boxin is the shit btw.

5. thats sweet dude do you own the dojo or do you just work at it. yeah i would live there if i could but works keepin me busy. we hold our tournaments in canada which sucks but thats where the shian (not sure of spelling) lives.

what type of stuff do you do you do in your style. that freestyle makes it sound like you probably do some crazy moves:smoke:

6. I just got my blue belt in brazilian Jiu Jitsu. I took Goju Karate for a while, i moved away before i got my brown belt.
    I really like the jiu jitsu though, grappling really took a hold of my interest.

7. i would love to learn some jiu jitsu. i dont think itd be my specialty though cause when i fight i like to stay up right and just bang. thats why i love shorin-ryu. when you spar its two minute rounds of just throwing kicks and punches.:D

8. I train BJJ and do a little muay thai/boxing as well. Lots of fun, great workout.

9. I have two friends who are blackbelts, not sure which art. One of them also spent a few years training with katana and recently bought a pair of bokken. Hes teaching me :)

10. its worked for me, i love jiu jitsu just cause of my stature. im only 5"7, pretty short, so the ground game is much easier for me to adapt to.

11. i would love to take muy thai and i love martial arts

i was in haidong gumdo and got up to atleast a purple belt...dont really remember, it sucks though i planned on taking a break but i ended up just quittin it was fun but i hate being commited to something that you gotta go to like every wednesday or whatever..
    oh btw haidong gumdo is korean swordfighting

12. im the same height but i love to stand up and just throw punches. i hit extremely hard and kick even harder. its kinda a surprise cause if you didnt know it you would never expect it.

any body else

13. I got a buddy who does mma. He trains in BJJ, boxing and muay thai. I'm pretty sure he is a purple belt, maybe brown in BJJ. Back when I was younger my dad's friend gave me some boxing classes. He used to be a boxer and even fought Butterbean on the USA network when they used to have Tuesday night fights but he lost. I'm thinking about doing some BJJ but don't really have the time or money for it right now...

14. I get down with Capoeira, man! Ha ha! I know that's a pretty big shift from what everybody here is practicing, but it was my first love for martial arts, and I've been in it for 4 years coming. :)

15. hey man capoeira is like the stoners of the martial arts world, very stealthy. to many flips and shit for me but its martial arts non the less.

plus im sure itd be more fun to do while stoned cause im assuming its not intense but you know what happens when you assume.

im surprised this many people responded anyone else:smoking:

16. thats cool i love mma WEC kicks ass. FABORS the shit. id love to get a ground game to go with my stand up and do some mma but on an ameture level

17. Is that Carl Sagan in your sig? i fuckin love that dude!!!
    I just finished reading "the Cosmos" last week, great stuff

18. I got up to purple belt with two stripes in brazilian jui-jitsu. I also practice aikido, judo and king fu. I had to stop right before I got my black belt cuz I shattered my arm and was in a cast on and off for a year.

19. Ha ha, true to an EXTENT! lol

And yeah, Capoeira Angola is an AMAZING art when stoned, as it is more fluid and dance like, all about improvisation and spirit. Capoeira Regional/Contemporeana, however, is NO FUN stoned.

When I first began Capoeira, we learned Angola style (Which you can see the parallels to if you search "Angola" and "Regional" Capoeira on YouTube!) and I loved getting baked and going to class. It went hand in hand, I felt the rythm more, Was quicker in my improvisation and more into what the other Capoeirista was doing... It was awesome.

Then came Regional about 6 months later, we learned the basics, and I got stoned and went to a public Roda (Circle where the game is played... Go to YouTube and you'll see.) at one of the colleges, hopped in to play, and caught a Meia Lua de Compasso STRAIGHT to the face... Stoned, in front of like, 40 people.

It was almost the funniest situation EVER! lol

But point being, Regional can get VERY full contact at times, never, ever good for me to do stoned! lol :smoke:

20. Yeah man, most definitely! I love "The Cosmos"! I've read the book, and I own all 13 episodes of the show! He is my effing hero, for so many reasons.