Martial arts. Oooh, Aaah.

Discussion in 'General' started by Knucks, Nov 4, 2003.

1. So, do any of you train in any kind of martial arts? I'm sure there are a few of you.

For me, I've only done Tae kwon do, and it's only been about 2 years. I love it. I've never liked sports much (with the exception of hockey, used to goto quite a few games), but this is something I see myself sticking with for a while.

Since i've started my training i've become stronger, faster (much more faster, lol), and extremely flexable. Before I couldn't even bend over and touch my toes. Now I can kick my foot higher than my head. Cool stuff, lol.

There are alot of other martial arts i'd like to try. I have to try some form of Kung Fu. Iado sounds fun because i've always wanted to fight with swords.

If you have alot of stress I think any form of martial arts would help. When you're out on the floor you focus all your attention to whatever you are doing. It's nice to have something where I can forget about the daily troubles.

Welp, the sleep meds are kickin in and I don't think I can ramble off anymore tonight, lol. And if you've read down this far, then you must be bored too.

2. My father has been training/teaching Aikido for the past thirty some odd years, hes a fifth dan and teaches at the University of Oregon

3. Being a girl, my dad wanted me to be able to defend myself. I started taking karate at 5 but quit at 10. At 12 I started studying Jeet Kun Do in San Francisco and I still go about 3 times a week. I love it. I also started with kick boxing about 3 years ago but don't compete like I do in other contests.

4. Tae Kwon Do- 2nd Kup Red Belt- was supposed to be taking 1st kup grading this december but I've been out of training for months due to a torn hamstring that JUST WON'T FUCKING HEAL!!! Ah well- back soon hopefully. Want to take up Wushu Kungfu next year when (or whenever) I get my blackbelt and perhaps teach myself a couple of tricks beforehand- aerials, back hand springs etc. What I really want to learn though is Hwa Rang Do as it's supposed to be very comprehensive.

One thing you gotta say about martial arts- when you start they're a bit boring- the better you get the more fun it is.

Oh and how is jeet kun do? Allways wanted to learn that but there's nowhere round here that teaches it.

5. Exactly.

Oh, what style of Tae Kwon Do do you train in?

6. Jeet Kun Do is great. I love it. My teacher is chinese and studied with Bruce Lee when he opened his first studio in Oakland. There were times when i was the only non full blooded chinese person in the school. But right now its split about 50/50. With Jeet Kun Do we are taught how to react naturally to difeerent attacks not being set to one discipline and one movement.

7. I have a friend who is really into karate, so is his younger brother and older sister. He's 17 and is extremely good. He's a 2nd degree blackbelt, im not sure the exact form of karate he is taking, but he has been studying it for over nine years. He had to open his own karate school and hold a class to get his second degree black belt, its a lot tougher than most forms of karate belt ranking systems. His teacher is only a third degree and he's been doing it forever, and let me tell you, the guys insane! He can like, break cinder blocks with his head, haha... My friend sister actually competed in the olympics in sydney austrailia, im not sure what events she competed in, but she got a medal im pretty sure...

I'm not really into karate, but he taught me some disarming moves and like, pressure point holds that are really slick, but i don't think i'd ever be able to use them in a REAL fight..

8. I have over 6 years of training in Kenpo, and less of the following:

Arnese
    Tae-Quan-Do
    Boxing
    Knife fighting
    Capoeti
    Staff fighting

9. i should mention, however, that I'm not very good in:

Capoeti
    Staff fighting
    Tae-Quan-Do

10. I almost feel bad mentioning it with all of these other nice arts; I took Tang Soo Do for quite a few years when I was a teenager(It's a Korean style). I reached red belt with one stripe and was three steps from black. It was just starting to get really interesting too.

It basically saved my life in high school. I probably wouldn't have graduated if not for it, and can only imagine how much trouble I would have been in without the discipline.

Tang Soo Do is so defensive, though. Not much offense at all. I'm twenty-two now and I really, really want to start studying somewhere again, but I'm gonna be moving to New Jersery in a couple of months and don't want to start here. It's frustrating.

BTW, stoner chicks rock.....stoner chicks who take martial arts fucking rule. C.H.S., lets spar sometime, mwuhahaha.

11. I do it through the T.A.G.B.- the Tae Kwon Do Association of Great Britain- I don't know much about styles in Tae Kwon Do.

Dammit I really wanna take Jeet Kun Do. I decided to read a little about it and there's a club a few towns over- hopefully I'll pass my driving test soon and get my arse over there to start it.

12. Yeah I think you will dig it baby. You can buy Bruce Lee's book on Jeet Kun Do on amazon. It's a great read and in bruces words as well.

13. I used to take a mix of Kung Fu and American Karate. Then I took Tae Kwon Do for a month or two and didn't like it. My dad and my brother are taking Small Circle Jujitsu, which is a lot like Aikido and can really fuck people up. Next semester, I might take Isshin Rhu or Jujitsu to get some extra hours.

14. And Wally Jay, the originator of Small Circle Jujitsu used to have Bruce Lee over at his house to train all the time. My dad and brother got to meet Wally Jay and his son who is now the head of the Small Circle Jujitsu thing.

15. I doubt there is any such thing as a jkd contest.

16. A friend of mine just got his black belt in sumkinda karate. He had his pic in the paper with a little japanese guy.

17. Dont you know bruce lee didnt believe in tournaments and contests? If you were really using jkd on other schools then people would be hurt.

18. got you there haha

Grasscity Deals Near You