Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Martial arts + marijuana?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TurtleSocks, Aug 7, 2012.

1. I just got back from a session and my professor just so happened to bring up the topic of martial arts and marijuana. (Coincidence right?) Anyways, I learned that he's kind of against the combo but he talked more about being stoned while in a fight and not so much of being stoned while training. I don't want to talk to him about it but I want to respect his opinions while still finding a way to try it out. Should I just forget about it?

2. For me, i hate smoking before going to krav maga or gym. If i smoke its to relax, not work. Personal preference though.

3. If you feel like you can handle your high at this point, go for it. If you can't that's cool we've all been there.

Doing physical things is very easy for me while high, even more enjoyable. As I smoked more I found it easier to control.

4. Has someone mentioned Sativa vs. Indica for doing work or fighting? I think that might play a big part in whether or not it'll be enjoyable. Maybe try it with an "energizing strain"

5. I do mma and smoke almost daily. i go to the gym 2-3 days a week, one for boxing then i alternate my other day between thai and bjj.

You should be iight, just dont smoke before your gonna be sparring, especially if you haven't smoked much in the past. (i smoke up until about 2hrs before i have to go to the gym normally.)

6. Ok I do kickboxing and BJJ and I've done BJJ a little stoned before it would usually wear off pretty quick but leave me feeling really loose and calm when rolling. But tonight I went to kickboxing stoned for the first time and I kinda overdid it and I felt powerfully stoned the whole class. But it was amazing I felt like I could slip through punches like nothing and I could see all of my opponents moves.

7. Don't do striking whole high it doesn't work out so well. But bjj makes so much sense while high. I would say while high I double my grappling skills.

8. i train in muay thia and no gi jiu jitsu and smoke weed erryday. i'll smoke before i go to the gym
    but i just end up feeling sober after like 20 min cause i get in the zone lol. it definitely wont have any huge negative effects, but it would reeeaaaallllyyyy help if you bought a vaporizer, its much easier on the lungs.
    smoke after training as well, its quite nice :)

9. Martial artist and ex-amateur kickboxer. I love getting high before any type of workout. Running especially. Gets me focused in on what I need to focus on and seems to just make things easier to accomplish.

Lifting I feel a much greater muscle-mind connection, which allows me to push even harder in the weight room. Even before martial arts class, it makes the workout much more enjoyable, and if we do some fighting I feel much more in tune with myself.

But this is something I have been doing for 17 years , and smoking for the last 3 years. If you're new to smoking, it might be very overwhelming to workout. Or if you're new to working out or the martial arts, you might make a mistake or be overwhelmed by trying to focus on the workout and how your body is moving. There is a lot of stuff you have to think about when even doing basic things in the martial arts, much like any other sport I'm sure, and you might not be able to keep your focus on all those things.

10. powerfull joe rogan

11. Weed can indeed make one's athletic performance more efficient and fine-tuned. I say this without having done martial arts, but the psychological barriers associated with the final few reps of a tough set of weights definitely go away when I'm pretty high. (but obviously not totally blazed or you'll be sedated and lazy) It's easier to push oneself in that sense, and it applies to cardio too in my experience. And as for clarity of perceptions, they seem very clear and well-defined at the right level of high. I love toking a half bowl to motivate a workout and rewarding myself after with the rest of the bowl. Also, weight routines that normally take 65-70 minutes can somehow be done in 45.

12. When i move to chicago this summer i want to learn kali. Anyone else here doing a martial art or plan on learning a new art?

13. When training, only smoke up afterwards. That's how I go about it.

14. i smoke and train, just not at the same time (well, at least i try not to). If your confident in your ability to do what you normally would sober, go it. Just ease into it, dont smoke a gram and go train, more like .4-.5 half and hour to an hour before you train. If you do it enough you can smoke as much as you want before you train but i prefer not to as i like to smoke after to relax and i dont like intensive exercise when stoned.

15. I do Choi Lei Fut and I can spar better stoned so yea try it

16. I believe anybody can do anything they want high its just having the right mindset

17. Precisely. Being high and workin out is my favorite.

18. smoking after training is over is fun, keeps your digestive system in order, helps you relax, etc etc etc, i support that. but doing heavy training and fighting while high?? haha fuck no. i get so lethargic and slow, the last thing i wanna do when i'm high is fight. i suppose u could if u really wanted to but i'd bet that you'd be far better off doing the heavy physical parts sober. maybe that's what u really meant when u asked the question i dunno, i am assuming u mean fighting while high, but maybe u just meant training. either way, that's my 2cents

19. Depends on the person in all honesty. When I smoke before fighting or training, it gives me much better mind/body connection, allows me to be more alert and focused, and gives me motivation to workout (if running /lifting).

All depends on how weed affects you personally.

20. I find with martial arts, training high sucks all around. It kinda blows your high because your technique gets sloppy which is annoying and that kinda fucks up the whole experience. I recommend smoking as a reward for an awesome training session.