Mars vs mars 2?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Aegishjalmur, Nov 5, 2015.

1. I apologize if this has likely been covered but sifting through info to find what I was looking for was getting exhausting.

I've been looking at the new Mars ii panels, but couldn't help but notice that you can still find the early models of the mars hydro lights for considerably cheaper, still claiming 5w diodes.

What is the advantage of the newer model, and is it worth the increase in price?

I'll be using a 4x4 tent, starting with just a couple plants and later expanding to the maximum of the tent. I'll likely use several smaller lights to increase coverage and flexibility.

2. I've never used the older reflector version but if you're looking to fill up a 4x4 tent, I suggest a Mars II 1600, equivalent, or better.

3. I don't mean the reflector version but for instance, Amazon has the older Mars Hydro 300w for only 90. Five of those or so would probably suffice but I'm wondering if the Mars 2 models have some significant edge over the earlier models.

4. Oh, I see. I didn't even know those existed. Looks like MarsHydro doesn't even sell them anymore. I really don't know about the differences. If I were in your shoes, and since your budget sounds to be around $500, I'd go with a newer technology (Mars II or other). I bought my 1600 for $565 earlier this year. There would probably be a benefit of better coverage with 5+ lights but it would be a pain in the ass to hang and adjust them all. Either way, I don't think those are any special deal.

I'd go ask SmokerSara, she's a Mars rep that's active on this site. Might as well get all the technical info from her to add to anyone's experiences that you can learn from folks here.

Just know that the "300w" is just in effect a model number, not the power draw. It's the maximum potential draw if all diodes were run at max, which they aren't.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ill PM her. Well, my plan was to use a smaller light on just a couple plants in the corner and then expand with more lights so spread my expense over time. I figure it makes more sense than ending up with several smaller tents.

6. sorry being late here, hope my answer helps[​IMG]

7. I hope folks don't mind me jumping in with related MarsHydro question. I noticed recently that the MarsHydro Reflector Series lights were updated from 3w to 5w diods, similar to the Mars-Hydro II lights. Consequently, do the Reflector Series lights now perform similar to the MarsHydro II lights? Thoughts?

8. What answer? in pm? These can I have the infos too? I was wondering the same thing

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yes, This is the old post, if you want to know something I can pm you.

10. I would like to know the PAR readings at 1m from the 600w white pannel and the 96 reflector, and the marsII smallest pannel

Also, I would like to know if there is any possibility of opening the device to dust out the heatsinks and fans without breaking the guarantee, I own a 600w white pannel, I just got it about 2 weeks ago.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sorry, we didn't test the par value at 1m, but we test the par value at 18", is that ok?
    Yes, you can open the device to clean the heatsinks and fans, it won't void your warranty, just be careful in case the the fan blade hurt you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Oh, usually the mesure lumens at 1m so I thought they did PAR at 1m too, 18'' would do :) I just would like a data to compare them.... one from a meter would be useful, to know about light penetration too, it is an important information

• Like Like x 1
  13. I just sent you a message:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  14. why can't you just post here for everyone to see ?
    what is so secret ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes, here is the par value chart
    Mars300.jpg

16. #17 smokesara, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    Sorry, if you want to know I can post here.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oh. that is Mars 300w Par value