Mars Volta fans - New album details

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ForeverCreamin', Oct 23, 2007.

1. I was just looking around and found that details of the new Volta album are out so I thought i'd share the link with you guys, I know there must be a lot of volta fans on the board
    http://web.nme.com/news/31978

2. Why thank you, good sir! I know quite a few people, including myself, who will be interested in this (if they haven't found out already). +rep.

3. Awesome... I can't wait to hear something from it. I wonder what this one will sound like... I wasn't too fond of their last album Amputechture, it didn't seem like they put as much effort into the songwriting process. It had its moments, but wasn't something I would want to listen to again and again. They've yet to outdo Deloused in the Comatorium. I hope this one is good... John and Omar are two of my favorite guitarists. I've also heard that their new drummer is fucking insane.

4. Yeah man I definatly hope this album is better than Ampetechture, it was a good album but just not really a good Volta album. I reckon Deloused will never be beaten, but im open to be proven wrong by this next album, cant wait. Hopefully means a tour as well :hello:

5. Thought i'd bump this thread because I just found some new information on the album for anyone who's interested.
    ----------------------------------------------------

The Mars Volta get spooky on new album

Band's new opus influenced by 'Ouija' board

46 minutes ago
    The Mars Volta have spoken about their spooky new album.

The follow up to 2006's 'Amputechture' is set to be released on January 28, and is entitled 'The Bedlam In Goliath'.

Speaking about the lyrical tone of the album, frontman Cedric Bixler-Zavala said he was influenced by a trip guitarist Omar Rodriguez-Lopez took to Jerusalem.

Bixler-Zavala said: "He brought me back... what you'd call a Ouija board in the States and we started playing with it... we used to get the band to play it a lot after we'd play shows in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to do."

The band called the gift 'The Soothsayer'. Bixler Zavala said: "It serves the same function as a Ouija board but it's just a little more archaic... This version of it had a sort of love triangle that was attached to it - the poems we found with it sort of described a mother-daughter-and-other-man love triangle, and what I came up with from it was we were being contacted by at least three people on the board that would come up as one person.

"We wrote down a lot of messages they gave us, and we used it in the lyrics and we also tried to fasten the lyrics into sort of like a good luck charm, by putting positive elements into it."

The band eventually encountered a lot of "bad luck" and decided to throw the instrument away.

Rodriguez Lopez buried the object and was sworn not to tell anyone in the band where he had hidden it.

He said: "Because such a strange impact was left by using the board, we decided to make a record based on... the stories we were getting from the things or spirits we were contacting.

"The album is basically a sort of ... it's like the 'Ghostbusters' when they want to catch a ghost, they throw out this little trap on the floor, and they open it.

"(The) record serves as a bunch of little traps, so when the record comes out, people will have those traps, and they can play the game and try to reverse the bad luck we've had come from it. It's our way of creating a little infernal machine, but we've reversed it, for good luck."

The album includes 'Aberinkula', 'Metatron' 'Ilyena' and 'Tourniquet Man', as well as the first single 'Wax Simulcra'.

Of the sound he told MTV News: "It goes in different directions and has different moods, but for new people who know nothing about us, there are those shorter songs, and I think that might appeal to some people.

"It was never done in any sort of 'Let's get on the radio' intention, but it does help, I guess. The whole album is completely interactive for the listener, and there's something concrete to sink your teeth into. There is a story there, even if it is vague sometimes."

6. they peaked at De-Loused in my opinion..Frances was alright and Amputechture was disappointing to me....however i still consider them a favorite band of mine just becasue of how genius De-Loused was...a truely remarkable album (not to mention Flea on the bass...:smoke:)...but i honeslty dont htink they'll ever do better than that album

i'm going to check their new stuff out regardless though because i know they have a lot of talent....now just have to see whether or not they decide to use it instead of a bunch of filler noise

7. The album leaked on youtube. But I can't stand Cedric's voice anymore, it makes my ears hurt. It doesn't seem like they are trying very hard anymore, lyrically or musically, to deviate from their old albums and sound. I mean, using a Ouiji board to write lyrics? What happened to the writing about real people that made Mars Volta different from other bands?

8. I want to go to San Francisco for New Years Eve.. Seriously. I need to get the fuck out of here anyways, and this sounds perfect.
    Thanks! <3