Mars SP-250 LED Review

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by GoldGrower, Jan 3, 2019.

1. #1 GoldGrower, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    *******edit *******
    It turns out that MarsHydro have noticed the reviews I have been doing on their products and they have given me a discount code to share with everyone.

So if anyone is planning on buying anything from MarsHydro, please use my discount code & direct link. You get a discount, and I get a couple of bucks commission.
    Indoor Led Grow Lights & Grow Tents - Mars Hydro
    Discount code: goldgrower

[​IMG]
    Here's a link to the light SP 250 Best Led Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Sunlike Spectrum with IR, UV for 2'x4' - Mars Hydro for sale,buy SP 250 Best Led Grow Lights for Indoor Plants, Sunlike Spectrum with IR, UV for 2'x4' - Mars Hydro - Mars Hydro

Also, you can get in touch with @smokesara for further details on sales but if you have any questions on using it I'm happy to help

I haven't received it yet but its on its way. Review coming soon. I'll be growing these 4 autos under it...

[​IMG]

Shortcut to harvest number 1 Mars SP-250 LED Review
    Shortcut to harvest number 2 Mars SP-250 LED Review
    Shortcut to harvest number 3 (TBA)
    Shortcut to harvest number 4 (TBA)

• Like Like x 4
  2. I do hope you post a review on that bubblegum

cheers/

• Like Like x 1
  3. I have grown this strain about 5 or 6 times in the past and only one had that bubblegum gum smell. It was amazing though, I'm hoping this will have it

• Like Like x 1
  4. Female Seeds has a strain called ‘bubblegummer’ that is legit. Take from a hoosier.

It’s the closest to original bubblegum that I have ever found. Most bubblegum doesn’t even look like the real original bubblegum from Indiana, but theirs does and priced very reasonably.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm along for the ride! Can't wait to see how this goes!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Neat! Can’t wait to see it in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hi, GoldGrower, did you open a new thread for the SP-250 :) I am looking forward to see your grow journal :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Heya everyone I just want to start off with an apology for taking so long to update this thread with my first impressions. But I have been using the light for a couple of weeks now so have a good feel for it

When the light was on its way to me I was under the impression that it was set at 200 watts but Mars-Hydro have changed the model to run at 250 watts instead which I believe is a wise move. I wasn't sure whether my unit would be 200w or 250w but I now know its running at exactly 250w which I'm really pleased with

Before the light was delivered I had started 4 autos, these ones ...

[​IMG]

This is what they look like now...

[​IMG]

The first few weeks they were grown under the Mars II Pro Epistar 320 and the last couple they have been under the Mars SP-250

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This auto has only just started flowering and its huge, I'm not sure what's going on with it, I may run out of room with this one haha

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  9. So this is the set up...
    120cm(w) x 80cm(d) x 180cm(h) tent which is about 4' x 2.5' x 6'.
    I think the height and width of this tent is a perfect match for this light but the depth is a bit much, its not far off 3' so I'd really love to have two of these lights in this tent. But for this grow I'm going to stick with just one to see how it performs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Currently I'm very pleased with how well this light is performing for just 250 watts it's super bright, and I absolutely love the fact that there are no fans and it runs silent. This is a huge plus for myself as I have two tents with several fans running and I live in an apartment /flat so noise is a big worry for me.

The driver does get hot, I don't know the actual temperature but I'm able to touch it for a few seconds but can't hold on to it for much longer. So yeah it's pretty hot.

Just like HPS ballasts it's important to have them outside the tent and you can take the driver off and fit an extension to have it remote like lost HPS lights. This is definitely worth doing in my opinion but I won't be doing it on this first run. As it is the temperature is not a problem anyway but when /if I buy a second unit to use together, I do plan to make the driver remote

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The diodes are covered in some sort of clear rubber. I guess this is to insulate the front from the possibility of electric shock I'm not totally sure though. This rubber is quite sticky and already has a bunch of my arm hairs stuck to it. I'm hoping this doesn't collect dust as that will effect the light output. I'm told it's waterproof so I guess it's just a case of wiping it down with a damp cloth

• Like Like x 1
  11. #11 GoldGrower, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    I have a good quality phone to take these photos so it's adjusting for the brightness really well so unfortunately you can't see how bright this is. I'm so impressed with the intensity as its just 250 watts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another thing I'm really happy with is the colour of the light. I dislike the common purple LEDs because I'm worried about geting light leakes from around curtains or reflecting through my hallways and showing through another window. That purple light is very much associated with growing cannabis and dumb people make assumptions and rumours can start. This light is the same colour as regular household bulbs so any colour leaking out is just going to look like regular light.

This colour is not a fair representation of it, I'm not sure why it looks so yellow, it's whiter to the naked eye

[​IMG]

This is interesting, I've never seen an LED with such exact wattage, often they are way off their stated watts but this one is exactly what they say it is

It has a soft start which I really like, when you turn it on it runs at 200 watts and creeps up over several minutes before settling on 250w.

[​IMG]

The fan I'm using is a 4" systemair fan. These are good quality but it's a small one and I haven't seen the temperature this low in quite some time haha. Even with the driver being inside the tent, the temperature is really good

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Another thing I like a lot about this light is its so narrow. One of the problems with large panel lights is when I'm using Yo-Yos to support the plants I can't hang them in the middle where the plants are because the light is literally in the way. I have to hang them to the side, but this pulls the plants away from the middle. It's not a huge issue but it can be a little frustrating

This light fixes that issue because it's only a few inches wide so you can hang Yo-Yos along the whole length of it. I really like that a lot

• Like Like x 1
  13. What kind of diodes are on this board?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The brand is Epistar and I believe they are 0.3w each, but I'm not sure what the model is called, I'll try and find out

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sara's here! Thanks for your updating GoldGrower! And the clear rubber you mentioned is for waterproofing. And that will not effect your light output. :jump:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thanks for your description on the new light SP-250. And hope to see more growing feedback on this thread!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Well, I just checked with the factory for the chips. This model is not in the market. Because it is special designed/customized from Epistar Company. :jump:

• Like Like x 1
  18. I purchased the mars cob light, and I'm almost done my first run! It's great, but I need more light and room for my next run. Curious, why is this cheaper but more watts? Is the cob better/different somehow?

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm not familiar with those Mars COB lights, so I can't really compare the two. Perhaps @smokesara will be able to answer your question

• Like Like x 1
  20. Thanks for the reply, I am very interested to see how this one performs!

• Like Like x 1