Mars Hydro New COB light

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by smokesara, Jun 27, 2017.

1. I saw your first post and was thinking that would be badass to veg in my little closet with.. beats all these little screw in bulbs.

Is that all you need or what else what you need? Never paid attention to any diy stuff simple or not lol

Grow journal

2. bet it would flower say 2x2 no?
    Yeah I replied to your other post on this.....dude you are all over this tech.

3. what guage wire from driver to board and how far a run from board to driver?

4. What are you using as a heatsink? Just wondering because i may do this and build a new flower board

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5. QB120 Quantum Board
    "High efficiency boards designed for DIY projects. Can be powered from 10 to 60 watts. Ideal for use as supplement light, veg light or for small plants. No Thermal Interface Material or heatsink is required.

NEW 24V Design"

I plan on using a piece of sheet metal to make a reflector along with a piece of angle aluminum to mount the driver to on top. That should suffice as a makeshift heatsink since the board requires none.

6. It's simple as simple can be. The driver connects directly to the board. One board one driver. Positive to negative. The driver is max output of the board so you may need a fan blowing on it if you use the same driver I bought but I wanted all 60 watts it can put out. There is 5.5mm dc connectors on board if you want to buy some otherwise you can solder the wires to the connectors right off the driver for best connection.

7. 2 of them would flower a 2x2 well. That's 4 square feet. 2 of them is 120 watts. That's 30 watts per square. So for $125 if you bought the same two drivers and boards you could smash a 2x2 with some of the highest tech best led's out. HLG just built these. I'm pretty sure they've been out a day because I looked at their site yesterday and they weren't there. That's why I wrote the post in the lighting section.

4k is perfect spectrum to do start to finish or one that works for veg and bloom.

I have to ask that we talk about those panels there in my thread about the 120QB since I feel bad for spamming mars new cob light thread which I am also excited about.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. I should be getting her in a few weeks can't wait to see how it does aswell

• Like Like x 2
  9. Go mars. I'd love to see them gain some market share. I think there's a lot out there especially if you use top quality components there's a lot of markup on prebuilt stuff. They've definitely got a following with the lights they've put out so far. The mars 300 is almost legendary as far as budget micro grow led's that anyone can afford that actually put out good bud. I'd like to see them do something like that for the cob market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. the fact that Mars is here and seemingly at the ready says a lot for them.

11. Agreed

12. Mars Hydro COB, now we can arrange the shipment to you @M9Prime
    0KLPEXP]4]{CZ9%EL4X5ALD.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. They look awesome! Can't wait to see what they can do!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vero 29 is not better than cree cheaper yes but not thst good quality

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. What he means is the same thing I was suggesting earlier. The main difference between the cree cobs and the vero29's is the veros are capable of 100 watts+ and most crees run significantly lower output but yes a little more efficient. It takes two cree cobs to build a fixture that can put out as much light as the single higher power veros. Again the vero isn't quite as efficient but its because the power output is so high not necessarily because the cob is inferior quality. All leds have a sweet spot in efficiency range. They can usually be ran at two to three times that power level but the higher you go in power output the lower your efficiency in making light. More of it becomes heat at higher levels. It's not a huge drop off usually but maybe 5%-10% or more.

It's a balancing act I guess.

If you're building a light fixture that consists of a single cob using a vero instead of a cree can potentially be near twice the power output for the same amount of parts. All you need is a more powerful driver and slightly larger heatsink. You could potentially fill a given space with 4 cobs instead of 6 or 8. That's a big cost savings for similar power output. There's always trade offs as well like more cobs scatter light better but of course spending more money can always make a better light. The trick is to find the sweet spot in cost per fixture and light output.

Of course you could just add a second light. By the looks of their design they are going for a independent single cob fixtures. I like this approach. It's actually very unique. Everyone is building fixtures for a certain footprint. Having the cobs independent makes configuring the light footprint for custom areas much easier.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I've been wondering that same thing myself.

17. Wouldn't be a problem if u ask me. Would protect light if u foilar spray and keep dust and whatever else out also. U having heat problems with your system ?

Sent from my VS425PP using Tapatalk

18. Now pre-order Mars COB light on Mars Hydro website is accepted. The COB carry IP65 enclosures which offer complete protection against particles and water. This COB using Meanwell driver, cxb 3590, and around the COB had add red and blue chips, which are Osram and Cree chips. Fan radiator help your tent running cool without any noisy, Available for US: Mid Sept. Other countries: end of Sept.
    Mars , Led grow light , Mars Hydro
    upload_2017-8-18_17-20-21.png