Mars Hydro COB Light Overview

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by M9Prime, Aug 23, 2017.

1. #1 M9Prime, Aug 23, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    As some of you know It was a close race for the Mars Hydro COB light, and for once in my life i've come out on top! After waiting approximatly two weeks for them to be built and shipped to me, It's finally here and on first impression i've very impressed with thequality that they've put into them.
    [​IMG]

here's a little about the specifications of the light:
    The Light is 4.75 Inches Thick from the lense to the top of the driver 7.5 Inches Long 7.5 Inches wide
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Spectrum: 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, and white
    Par Value: 357umol/m2/s
    Lumen:8615Lm±5%@AC120V 8508 Lm±5%@AC240V
    Power draw: 110W + - 5%@AC120V 108W + - 5%@AC240V
    Input Voltage: AC100-240V AC277 for North America only
    Ampere: 0.987A/120V 0.46 A/240V
    Core Coverage:2.5ft*2.5ft
    Max Coverage: 4.5ft*4.5ft
    Light Size: 290*220*210MM
    Package Size: MM
    Net Weight: 3.4KG
    DB: 0dB
    Frequency: 50-60HZ

On to the unboxxing!
    The packaging is very solid, everything is in foam and no room for anything to rattle or come loose during shipping. as you peel away all the wrapping and finally open the box you're met with the Warrenty Card that comes with all Mars Hydro Lights, followed by very sturdy adjustable hangers that dont usually come with lights ( usually come with the metal wires/carabiner these are much better ). Under the hangers are a few pieces of hardware to assemble the hanging arm onto the light itself.
    [​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Hardware consists of:
    One very strong C arm ( 4 bolts with 2 lock washers and 2 regular washers per unit aswell as a nut )
    and heavy duty Loop ( 1 lock washer 1 regular washer and nut for the loop )
    Light Itself
    every bolt is a thumbscrew as well as a Phillips for proper tightening.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All accessories aside, now onto the light itself! It's encased between two large blocks of foam that can take a beating if it needed to, when pulling out the light you instantly notice the full lightweight metal construction and how sturdy the light feels.

The driver is mounted with a plate under it not directly on the heatsink itself which I find as a plus for reduced heat creep. The Driver has a very long cord with a replaceable link if anything were to happen to the cable itself which is a plus.[​IMG]

The COB itself consists The Main COB light and smaller LEDS of Red and Blue ( 4 Blue 12 red ) and the Lense is wide for better coverage.
    [​IMG]

When I saw the advertised coverage of this light i was a bit skeptical, and for the 4.5x4.5 I still am but in a 3x3 I can see it being very productive while vegging. The second I plugged it in I can feel the intensity of the light and could compare it to a 90W Quantum Board but more powerful. [​IMG]

I will be running this Light in a 2x3 ( rated 2.5x2.5 for flower ) Tent All on its own for a Pyramid seed tutankhamon.
    So this was my little over view on the unboxing of the MARS HYDRO COB LIGHT.

stay tunned for my journal on this light coming this weekend! @smokesara

• Like Like x 5
  2. Thank you so much @M9Prime
    Very detailed, waiting to see it's performance

3. 2 weeks? Seemed longer than that? Maybe not.. good luck.

4. 17 days. To be fair it did come last Thursday but i was away on business and had to have it held for me. Shipping was 3 days according to the tracking.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. The contest ended a month ago :eek: that's a long time lol.
    Will be interesting to see what it can do tho.

110 watts in a 4.5x4.5 = 5.4 watts per square foot. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  6. they weren't built as of the time of the contest.
    yeah thats a stretch hah, i can see a 2.5x2.5 not a 4.5x4.5

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah 2.5x2.5 is like 20+, which is decent.

• Like Like x 1
  8. About the COB, we decided to remove the handle, so in the future when you received the COB, it won't have the handle with the COB any more.
    upload_2017-8-23_17-25-41.png

Because we had installed the handle before by ourselves, we found that it is a bit tight squeeze, you can hanging the COB like this:
    upload_2017-8-23_17-26-3.png

And can adjust the hanging angle

9. Build your own. Or get quantum boards. Don't fall pray to rip off companies. This is old overpriced tech.

Word.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The Cob LED market is exploding right now and they're the only mass producer of one, its hard enough to get a Quantum board and now to meet demand they're jacking up the prices of parts and thats coming from someone who has two 260w's. , this isn't a panel board .

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nah but if you're investing then personally I'd go the QB route or Chilled if I had the cash or build a kit. Mars quality control based on my own mars burple board and the bs re draw leaves a lot to be desired. Better options for your $$$

• Like Like x 1
  12. i would too, but good luck getting them without being out of stock and having to wait like i did for my QB.
    these are mass produced not Blurple though it does have a few reds and blues. but its easily obtainable and does the job pretty damn well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Now there are many people using COB, it is not old tech.

14. Right, considering during plants growth, they will need blue light during the veg, and red during flowering, that will help plants get better yields. so we add the red and blue chips to supplement red and blue light

15. Mars Hydro COB don't have fans, it installed with fan radiator, so you don't need to worry about the noisy.
    upload_2017-8-25_9-28-2.png

Furthermore, the COB carries carries IP65 enclosures which offer complete protection against particles and water.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Whoever decided it was a good idea to add blurple to them cost your company a lot of money. BTW, your product tester is well aware of the light spectrums needed to grow..

17. If you're talking about the mars1 or II series you're basically talking ancient history in the led world. Those lights did have marginal reliability. I don't think mars would argue that with you. They did the right thing as a company though and backed up all the repairs. They learned from their first lights. These new lights are meanwell powered cree cobs. Can you not see a difference? Those are the top quality parts in the industry as far as I know. That's not the lights they were previously building. Give them a little credit. They are stepping up their game for sure.

Cobs are not dead at all. There's many dedicated home builders around. There's new rounds of releases like the gen6 citizens and the 1818's. There's new brands coming around like luminus and nichia making top end products. Cobs aren't going anywhere.

That's coming from a qb board builder.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Exactly. The performance of this cob is significant better the the competing cob in this price range of mass built lights. It's a great starter cob.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm not sure that most people know that the samsung 561c diodes that the quantum boards are based on are miniature cobs. There's not 1 led on that little rectangle. There are many that are printed on there like a cpu. They are a cob based manufacturing process just a smaller die size in the end. The typical cob size is 30mm round.

COB stands for chip on board. It's an acronym for a manufacturing process that prints many miniature leds onto a small circuit chip like a cpu but leds instead of transistors.

20. I 'll take your QB..LOL