Marriage

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Speedymotor, Jun 7, 2011.

1. How many of you guys are or have been married before. Did you guys feel that it held you down or did you guys still have the same freedom as when you were single?

2. try it and find out your asking a strange question

3. #3 Speedymotor, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Im asking a real question

4. Good question. Never been married though :/

5. Been happily married for 7 years now, going on 8 this October. Marriage is great, but you have to be with the right person for you, and you do have to work at it. There's no feeling of not being free, because I have no desire to be alone anymore, I'm happy where I'm at.

6. there's the answer

7. I think its a legitmate question, I've pondered it often myself. Personally, I am terrified of marriage :(

8. In no way whatsoever is that a strange question

9. that part seemed a bit strange mostly is why

10. never ever...

11. I was married for like 6 years.

My advice is to only get married if it is what you want to do. If someone tries to pressure you into it that's the sign to get out asap.

12. Well I've been married for 20 years to one woman. Been through a lot of ups and downs and to be honest I don't know if our marriage will last or not. It is good to have a person to go to bed with and to love and be loved. Also, for a guy it is good to have regular sex.

That being said, you are also subjected to her thinking. If she is negative and sees the negative in things and criticizes a lot, that can bring you down and have a real negative impact on your life.

It's hard because I genuinely love my wife, but have come to the point where I think her viewpoint is harmful to my well being. One of my 10 rules in life is you don't have to keep negative people in your life, even if they are family.

13. Very interesting. A little off topic but my mother is very negative and it impacts my well being. My girlfriend can be like
    this too. Definately not something i need. Bad vibes is a nono

14. Engneer put it very well.

The whole thing about freedom and marriage is an oxymoron. You shouldn't get married until you are ready to commit for the long term. There will be compromises, you are no longer only answerable to yourself. Your actions do have reprecussions for others.

My wife and I have had many ups and downs. Some caused by ourselves some by life itself. So far it has been an overall rewarding 32 years. :smoke: