Marker Indication Assignment-GQ Covers...but with Bugs!(Illustrations/Design)

Discussion in 'The Artist's Corner' started by nps4474@yahoo.c, Oct 26, 2007.

1. [​IMG]
    So we had sort of a weird but fun assignment for my marker class, to create up some mock-ups for magizines we all know, the trick being to add some sort of surreal, or bizzare aspect to the work. Since I'm such a fan of insect macro photography, I decided this was the logical choice. The figure/bug images are hand-drawn, then scanned and text and design elements added in Photoshop. (They went over pretty big in my class critique, the proffesor gave me a 97/100 on all three :hello:) Hope you guys dig them.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. This is great stuff, NPS! I'm truly impressed.

By the way, what's going on with your new camera? Have you picked up the refund on your A100 yet?

3. very cool nps. i can see you're getting really comfortable with those markers. keep it up.

4. Thanks to both you cats,

Palmer your "Garden of Eden" pencil sketch is outstanding as usual, looks to be semi Art Nouvo or Arts and Crafts Movement inspired?:wave:

Durchii, Circuit City FINALLY sent me a brand spankin new Sony Alpha-100, they say its an upgraded version, but I dont notice any difference. Anyway, I havent really had a chance to shoot as I just got the thing Fedex last week. (Aside from some Kush macros I posted in the Seasoned Tokers area), dude, it was getting one of my limbs back though, I really missed the fucking thing!:D

5. thanks NPS, you are indeed correct in assuming its art nouveau inspired. A lot of things i've done in the pasted 2 years has. I've also decided to name the piece officially as "The Second Metamorphosis"

6. I noticed 2 things wrong. at least i think so.

It should be "Everything you need to know, wear, and buy"

and where you say Orlando Blooms "lord of the flies"... in case you didn't realize... lord of the flies is actually a book. so people may get confused, although it is clever.

other than that the art itself is supreme. good work

7. Thanks,

I did realise Lord of the Flies is a book, I think I was purposely using it because Orlando Bloom was in a recent film trilogy called "the Lord of the Rings", but since I have a fly/insect/wasp/bee motif going, I would flip the script as it were, superimposing, or rather, transposing one title for the other in an effort to raise attention through the use of some mild literary humor rappartie'. (Plus I was blatantly ripping off an actual GQ cover:D)

The comma, I believe, was either left out cause I don't really give a shit about grammer in mock-ups, (thankfully neither does the prof) OR, I scanned the shit poorly and the , got cut off.

In either case, thanks for your compliment, welcome to the City.:wave:

8. been here :D just been banned so many times due to age violations. but whatever ill just make another account if it happens again.

to the mods: im 19 years old. ;)

9. Just to be picky, I was always taught in school that you never place a comma before the word and.

10. and i was taught that both are grammatically correct. whose publicly paid education is right? Then again, you being in Canada would be more likely to be taught British grammar.
    Doesn't really matter.

11. Those are really cool man!