Mario Party 8: suckage

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Peppie, Apr 27, 2009.

1. I recently started playing Mario Party 8 on the Wii (I know, I know, i'm kind of late but I don't care). I haven't played a Mario Party game since Mario Party 3 so I was sure I was in for a surprise. Let me describe my feelings upon inserting and playing the disc.

Disc Loads in Wii Menu: Oh sweet, looks pretty fun.
    Title Screen: Hey there's Mario, and Luigi, and Waluigi, and Birdo, and Wario, and Peach, and Toad??
    Game Menu: Who the fuck is this dude in the hat? What the hell? Is he voiced by some Indigenous tribal chief? Holy shit his hat just talked! What the hell is all this carnival bullshit?
    Playing a board: what the fuck? Everytihng is happening so fast. I feel like I'm on speed. These boards suck. Where the hell is Toad to lovingly accept my 20 coins. Now I have to buy hotels or race to the finish to get a free star. This is boring as fuck.
    Mini Game: Alright this is pretty cool. The wii mote comes in handy and is actually pretty fun but the mini-games lack some originality.
    Back to the Board Game: Damn, Bowser is such a pussy.
    Ending a board game: Wow, I won and that's it. No evil bowser got to be fought and defeated, I simply earned a title.

My analysis of Mario Party 8 is that Nintendo got sensitive and decided that they should make the game fun and make everyone a winner. By doing that, they took out all originality and made sure that only children fucked up on too many sugary products would enjoy the game.

It seems that MP8 was designed solely to continue the series. Also, I believe that Nintendo was banking on the Wii-mote interaction to be a high selling point. Honestly, it's the only thing tolerable in an otherwise insufferable attempt at a game.

2. haha dude, thats what the last 4 or 5 mario parties were like. I remember when the first one came out, damn that was a sweet game. It sucked to get blisters on your palm from rotating the joystick as fast as possible though :)

3. Yeah dude, Mario Party 1 was badass but I remember playing Mario Party 2 and that game was really nice. I liked the amount of boards on MP1 but MP2 had some awesome stuff.

4. Peppie,

Take my advice. I've been following Mario Party from the beginning. The best modern Mario Party game that you could play on your Wii is Mario Party 6 on the GameCube. Starting with 7, Nintendo started making the rules more and more family friendly (i.e. taking out the "gambling", etc.)

Party 6, however, is still quite strategic and the boards are great. It also has the best mini-games and, I'm not kidding, the best graphics out of all 8. 4 and 5 are quite slow and boring, and 7 is where it started to really go downhill like you're describing.

If it's convenient for you, see if you can snatch a used copy of 6. You don't need the optional microphone (which is used for some of the mini-games and some side modes), but if you can find a cheap one it'd be nice.

Basically, try 6. It's by far the best one. Oh, and make sure to play it with a friend or two blazed. Single player Mario Party always sucks. :smoking:

5. Can you still use the Wii-Mote?

6. No, for any GameCube game you're gonna need GameCube controllers. So, if it's too much effort to buy all this crap then don't worry about it, though there are plenty of great games for the GameCube and they're pretty cheap at GameStop now used.