Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marinol in a non MMJ state

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by ModderXtr, Jul 10, 2009.

1. #1 ModderXtr, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
    Cant seem to find much, but Im looking for a doctor who is more open-minded towards the topic of MMJ and Marinol in Texas. My GI wont prescribe Marinol to me as an appetite stimulant (110lbs) because he believes that things like azothioprine (carcinogenic immunosuppressant) will have a greater efficacy at treating my Crohn's disease instead of just treating "the symptoms" via Marinol/cannabis.

Fuck him.:mad:

/rant

2. #2 JCrohn, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2009
    I have crohn's disease...i vaporize every day.

Weight before med rx: 132
    Weight so far after 4 months of being on med MJ: 148.

Do the math....but texas is gonna be hard to find anyone level headed. (as far as doctors go)

Used in conjunction with the herb, i think meds/ the herb is the most effective way to heal you.

3. Oh I know cannabis works wonders for my Crohns/appetite (Im lucky to eat once a day without cannabis though) I found that out quite some time ago actually, haha.

But currently, mandatory UA's every 'X' amount of weeks means I probably will not get any where near as much green as I need. :( Nor am I too keen on taking this azothioprene because the list of side effects is longer than my arm, and they're all the things Im looking to get rid of - not experience 2 fold.

4. Marinol does not have the same effects of marijuana. You could possibly try going the doctors route and see if it works. If the side effects annoy you then you could complain and then he may try prescribing you Marinol. Hope you have good health insurance, Marinol is really expensive I've heard.

If he still refuses then you should probably look for another doctor if you think Marinol really could help you.

5. I'm quite aware of the differences between marinol and the whole plant. I'm only looking for marinol so I can have an excuse on the aforementioned UAs I have to take as part of my deferred adjudication on my paraphernalia ticket. I wouldn't be buying bottle after bottle, just one every now and then so things seem legit. (Generic is cheaper anyways, marinol is just a name brand)

If I had to detox every weekend, I'd only be able to smoke a handful of times a week at best, which is far from enough that I'd need.

6. get some marinol man

7. what part of texas are you in

8. you should look for a doc named lamey he is kinda over by the xmas store he is a pretty cool guy that is all about helping the patient his location is cameron and clayton area ,,,,,, I love austin

9. I live in Texas and my grandparents do too. My grandpa has marinol, I don't recommend getting it though, It is so terrible, He can barely function (in a bad way) and it doesn't have the same effect as normal marijuana. Just get it illegally and vape it. The law in Austin isn't very bad and as long as you smoke inside and are smart you wont get caught.

Marinol is a terrible thing :( I hate seeing my grandpa on it.

10. Not too experienced with med mj problems but know my pharmies; if marinol isn't working properly you should really try cesamet(nabilone)...its also a synthetically derived canibinol...it is alot stronger and from what i hear produces very similar effects to orally consumed cannabis...getting stoned as shit at higher doses being a side affect..

hope everything works out well for you and if you can't get your prescriptions straight marijuana really isn't the most dangerous thing out there as far as the law is concrned or so we like to believe..but as someone pointed out if you get it illagally and use it in your home the chances of anything happening are pretty minute.

hope this helps; good luck

11. #12 ModderXtr, Jul 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
    Can no one read? The marinol is to bypass random UAs I have to take, the whole plant cannabis will still be my treatment. Fuck pharmaceuticals.

I've already been caught, thats the entire point of this thread. :rolleyes:

Finally someone helpful. :) I can't seem to find him online though, what does he practice?

12. maybe im miss spelling his name he is a family care doc could be spelled lamy

13. As a heads-up, there is one company out there that CAN distinguish between Marinol's THC and natural marijuana's THC. Apparently, because Marinol's synthetic THC, there's a marker on it that doesn't occur in natural THC. So, hypothetically, the company you're working for could order this test to find out if you're actually taking the Marinol or smoking. However, this test is VERY expensive for companies to order, so the likelihood is that it won't be a problem, but it's something to keep way far back in your mind, just in case, because, unfortunately, Marinol's technically not the silver bullet against drug tests that it once was.

14. Did you have any luck? I need help and I am in austin also....

15. Hi hon, have you shown your doctor these?

Psychoactive Cannabinoids Reduce Gastrointestinal Propulsion
    and Motility in Rodents (full - 1989)
    http://jpet.aspetjournals.org/content/249/2/444.full.pdf+html

Central and peripheral cannabinoid modulation of gastrointestinal transit in physiological states or during the diarrhoea induced by croton oil (full - 2000)
    Central and peripheral cannabinoid modulation of gastrointestinal transit in physiological states or during the diarrhoea induced by croton oil

Modulation of peristalsis by cannabinoid CB1 ligands in the isolated guinea-pig ileum (full - 2000)
    Modulation of peristalsis by cannabinoid CB1 ligands in the isolated guinea-pig ileum

Cannabinoid CB1-receptor mediated regulation of gastrointestinal motility in mice in a model of intestinal inflammation (full - 2001)
    Cannabinoid CB1-receptor mediated regulation of gastrointestinal motility in mice in a model of intestinal inflammation

Cannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract (full - 2001)
    Sign In

Cannabinoids for gastrointestinal diseases: potential therapeutic applications
    (abst - 2003)
    Cannabinoids for gastrointestinal diseases: potential therapeutic applications; Expert Opinion on Investigational Drugs - 12(1):pages 39-49 - Informa Healthcare

Cannabinoids and intestinal motility: welcome to CB2 receptors (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids and intestinal motility: welcome to CB2 receptors

Cannabinoids cool the intestine (full - 2004)
    Cannabinoids cool the intestine

Differential Expression of Cannabinoid Receptors in the Human Colon: Cannabinoids Promote Epithelial Wound Healing
    (abst - 2005)
    Elsevier

Effect of a cannabinoid agonist on gastrointestinal transit and postprandial satiation in healthy human subjects: a randomized, placebo-controlled study
    (abst - 2006)
    Notice -- ISI Web of Knowledge [v4.6]

Endocannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract. (abst - 2006)
    Endocannabinoids and the gastrointestinal tract. [J Endocrinol Invest. 2006] - PubMed result

Effects of a cannabinoid receptor agonist on colonic motor and sensory functions in humans: a randomized, placebo-controlled study (full - 2007)
    Effects of a cannabinoid receptor agonist on colonic motor and sensory functions in humans: a randomized, placebo-controlled study -- Esfandyari et al. 293 (1): G137 -- AJP - Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology

Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in the gastrointestinal tract: a regulatory system in states of inflammation (full - 2007)
    Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in the gastrointestinal tract: a regulatory system in states of inflammation

Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in the enteric nervous system modulate gastrointestinal contractility in lipopolysaccharide-treated rats (full - 2008)
    Cannabinoid CB2 receptors in the enteric nervous system modulate gastrointestinal contractility in lipopolysaccharide-treated rats

Cannabinoids and the gut: New developments and emerging concepts.
    (abst - 2010)
    Cannabinoids and the gut: new developments and eme... [Pharmacol Ther. 2010] - PubMed result

The Cannabinoid 1 Receptor (CNR1) 1359 G/A Polymorphism Modulates Susceptibility to Ulcerative Colitis and the Phenotype in Crohn's Disease
    (full - 2010)
    The Cannabinoid 1 Receptor (CNR1) 1359 G/A Polymorphism Modulates Susceptibility to Ulcerative Colitis and the Phenotype in Crohn's Disease

Doctors were not taught about the endocannabinoid system, so they are not really to blame for their lack of knowledge. However, I feel we have an obligation to educate them. Granny list is a good place to start! (Click the MMJ Studies link in my sig)

Granny :wave: