Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

marijuana used to treat add or adhd

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by riffletoke420, Dec 22, 2009.

1. okay so just so all you know i have chronic add im on ritalin 30 mg. they do not help me at all i strugle just to pay attention now when i go to school stoned i feel as if i can do the work without the strugle and i tend to eat more and on my medicine i am never hungry i never eat anything it makes me feel like a zombie in a way things are so boring on ritalin i feel speeded at first but then i pass out weed is a great treatment in my opinion what do you guys think. :smoke:

heres the link to the data i recived.

Marijuana treatment for ADD ADHD | ADDER WORLD ADD ADHD Positive Thinking

2. #2 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    ---

3. sugar or caffeine dont really affect me but it does tend to make me a lot more hyper but thats only if i drink for say oh two monsters.

4. #4 SpiceMadeOfLife, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
    I have fully documented adhd from when I was a kid. I used to take ritalin in increasing dosages when I was a kid, then I moved onto concerta, which lasts for 12 hours at a time whereas ritalin only lasts 4 hours per dose.

These medications didn't effect me negatively at first. they worked like a charm in fact, I was getting all my shit done on time, it was great. But as I got older and developed more of a personality I found that the meds had a draining effect on me. I didn't really feel the need to smile at all, and I felt awkward whenever I laughed or shared a joke with someone. It made me really irritable and I eventually stopped taking meds altogether.

Since starting to smoke weed I didn't really believe it could help with me with my adhd. However lately (before the christmas break which already started...nice :)) I've been smoking before doing my homework (art student, gotta love painting and drawing and shit for homework), and I gotta say I actually found myself to be extremely focused on my work, without any of those stupid side effects. It makes work more fun, and you can sometimes think of some really crazy ideas to incorporate into the work.

5. #5 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    ---

6. @anubis.

I have adhd i take 20 mg Methylphenid which is ritalin. You should try to get ahold of some and see how it affects you in a 10mg dose then up it to 20 and or more and see if you feel anymore focused. If you lose all focus and run around starting 10 tasks at once then you dont need it. If you feel more calm and focused then you probably need it otherwise its like taking speed. The way you describe yourself it sounds like you could benefit from it. Go ask a doctor and take the questionaire and youll get some.

7. Damn Anubis I feel all of that shit all day every day, never been diagnosed with anything, never taken medication. I always thought that's what everyone thought

8. #8 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    ---

9. #9 ztc, Dec 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2009
    I have taken Vyvanse before it helped a TON it kept me going strong all day. When I can be focused automatically I can be a much more efficient person, I can work much harder. I like that person.

Anubis - Do you find mistakes in print easily? Or do you notice "qwerks" in things easily? I seem to always find small mistakes.

10. #10 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    ---

11. #12 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    ---

12. adhd can suck ma balls

13. #14 Anubis578, Dec 22, 2009
    ---

14. Hi guys- Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in. I work in education as a teacher's aide. A few years back I had a 7th grade kid who was ADHD and failing badly. He started coming to school reeking of pot now and then. I never said a word and neither did the teacher. :rolleyes: He was doing his best work on those days and his in-class behavior improved. He passed with a very low "C". He also moved that summer, so I don't know if the upward trend continued.

Personally, I think that in most cases, 7th grade is a bit young to use any drug, but in this case it helped.

Granny :wave:

15. yeah i've been diagnosed. same stuff as everyone else here. got on medicine, made me feel like.. nothing..like i was just floatin along in a body. started smoking, more focused on school, work, etc. Still have that goddamn immunity to caffeine though.

Oddly enough, caffeine affects me (what i assume is) a lot when I'm high, I don't know if what I'm feeling is what people without ADHD feel when they drink stuff with a lot of caffeine in it or what.

16. #17 Anubis578, Dec 23, 2009
    ---

17. i agree, i am diagnosed with aspergers syndrome which is autism on a minor scale basicly it makes me a social zombie unable to read body language or vocal tone i was procribed adderall (worst thing ever.) and prozac and then abilify replaced adderall, abilify actually worked to a degree but it wasnt untill i started smokeing cannabis regularly (note i dont need to smoke that much, im still figureing it out but it seems that about between .3 and 1 gram a week is all i need) that i felt ..for the first time in my life.. normal. most people cannot imagine what its like to have, for 17 years felt .,. its hard to explain exactaly but i always felt like i was diffrent

18. #19 Anubis578, Dec 24, 2009
    ---

19. I've probably had ADD my whole life, but as an older teen and young adult I self-medicated with marijuana. It allowed me to focus for hours at a time and stimulated my creativity. Primary side-effect was the anxiety around the consequences of getting busted.

Fast forward to 2002 when I lived in California. I was able to get my physician to give me a MMJ recommendation and I was legally able to procure good quality medicine. This was a real blessing. The primary side-effects then were that by the end of the day, if I'd had several doses, the focus and creativity was no longer there. But this was still a very productive period in my life. Work was exciting, I quit smoking tobacco and got in shape physically. Slept well and woke up early every day without an alarm clock.

Now, several years after having moved to Arizona to be closer to my wife's family, legal MMJ is no longer a reality and I eventually got a proper diagnosis for my ADD. I've been prescribed Adderall XR which I've been taking only on work-days for about a year. It is also effective for my ADD and a single dose in the morning lasts all day. But the side effects suck: nasty dry mouth, a tendency to gnaw on my tongue, irritability at the end of the day and difficulty going to sleep. During the work week I end up staying up late, waking up tired and popping a pill that gets me going. By the end of the week I'm spent, but I sure do get a lot of work done.

What is especially interesting to me is that in Arizona I can see a nurse-practitioner (doesn't even have to be an MD) who can diagnose me with ADD and prescribe for me a powerful psychcostimulant, thereby allowing me to legally purchase an expensive pharmaceutical product at the local drug-store (fortunately covered by medical insurance). But no doctor is allowed to recommend or prescribe marijuana, and it is a felony for me to purchase, possess or grow this natural plant that safely provides similar benefits with fewer side-effects at a lower cost. I understand the market and societal dynamics that have (unjustly) gotten us to this point, and across the nation things are changing in the right direction, but it's still ridiculous.