Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana use and depression... related?

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by howdy890, May 21, 2008.

1. I just thought I'd bring this up here to see if anyone knows of any stories or has any extra information about the use of marijuana and its effects on depression (and any other mental health issues)...

I studied drugs and related health issues, but could never find anything about drugs and how it affects depression. I have been told by some people that marijuana can trigger off depression in certain people, depending on their genes (for example, if someone has a family history of depression, marijuana use can trigger that off easily).

I am interested in this, because I know someone who had depression in their family genes and they got depression after having used marijuana a couple of times.... don't know if this is just a coincidence or not?

I'm not posting this to discourage people from using the drug, because I know this is a drug used based site, I just thought I'd post it to see if anyone has any experience or info on this topic...

Thanks.

2. I have a big history of mental illness in my family, depression, axiety, bipolar, and I have most of the symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder and clinical depression and have been prescribed all kinds of medicines, the only one that actually helps is marijuana, you try and be depressed after smoking a bowl, you will find something to laugh at, that little bit of laughter keeps me going. Also there is depressions linked to physical ailments like back pain, I have chronic back pain, and it all goes away after a good smoke sesh. Pretty much, MJ has been nothing but positive, and if anythign were going to swing me into a harsh depression, it would be the sober times. Hope that's helpful.

3. Yeah that does help... I can certainly see how it would be of medical help with depression.
    I think there was actually another thread with someone asking if it's possible to be prescribed medical MJ for depression...

I also have a big family history of depression (and possibly other things)... so that's mainly why I posted this...

Is it possible for MJ smoking to increase the likelihood for someone like you or me getting depression?

4. Exactly. I have bipolar type 2, the depressive side was pretty much unbearable. Until I discovered marijuana. :hello:

5. It all really comes down to being psychological. Herb has done nothing but enhanced my ability to feel happy.

6. Statistically, marijuana users are more likely to be depressed. This does not, however, mean that marijuana causes depression at all.

For example:
    -I think it would be safe to say that most marijuana smokers are younger. Younger people might be more prone to depression.

-it is possible that depressed people are more likely to start smoking marijuana, increasing the number of depressed smokers

Those are just two examples, but you get the idea. All current studies have shown, of the ones that I have read, is that a higher percentage of smokers are depressed when compared against non-smokers. None have actually proved that smoking causes depression(again, of those I have read), and I don't believe any ever will.