Marijuana: The truth about growing your own pot

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Marijuana: The truth about growing your own pot

So you want to grow pot. Or you're worried the neighbors will.

Marijuana is the botanical conversation piece that just won't go away. Reactions to it run a wild gamut: It's the evil weed or a source of future state tax revenue and entrepreneurial ingenuity. Or it's the only path left to freedom from pain for some people, and journalists should write about it with the same seriousness that they accord blood-pressure medicine.

If you're 21 or older, Amendment 64 allows you to cultivate up to six marijuana plants in an "enclosed, locked space" in Colorado. (This is still illegal under federal law.)

Sounds simple. But growing marijuana isn't easy, those who do it professionally say.

Until 2014, it's illegal to sell plants to those without a medical-marijuana card.
    Growing cannabis from seed is possible but impractical. Such activities are subject to federal prosecution.

One thing is certain: Legalization is changing the landscape of our state. Maybe not our yards, but surely our headspace, our parties, our neighborhoods and our lives. If we understand the plant, it will help us talk about that change using facts rather than fear or naive enthusiasm.

We went to experts with the questions we felt any gardener and homeowner would have. Our interviewees for this story and video were Kayvan Khalatbari and Nick Hice, co-owners of Denver Relief, a medicinal-marijuana dispensary whose growing facility is home to about 1,900 marijuana plants.

An overview of the basics
    Question: Where can Coloradans grow marijuana plants? Can people just stick them in a sunny window next to basil and aloe?
    Answer: A big thing to remember with marijuana plants is that they need to flower to produce THC ( tetrahydrocannabinol, the chemical that gets people high) and other medicinal cannabinoids. In order to do that, they need 12 hours of light and 12 hours of total darkness a day.

So the best place to grow marijuana is in a room in the basement with a locked door so light doesn't inadvertently get in when the plants are "sleeping." If you don't have a basement, a small closet with light-leak protection around the door will work.

Q: Is special growing equipment required?
    A: All sorts of prepackaged items are available, like grow boxes or grow tents, that are probably best for a small space like a closet, or fo r someone who doesn't want to get into growing marijuana too intensely.

But if you're trying to get six plants to be as robust as possible, you probably need to install something that's more permanent, like a 400- to 600-watt lamp with a hood assembly that comes with a ballast, which you place at least a forearm's length above the plants.

Keep in mind that the ballast is going to get very hot, so you need to have adequate cooling in the room as well, like a portable air conditioner with a thermostat. You don't want the room to get above 80 degrees because the hotter it is, the slower the plants grow. The ideal temperature is 75 to 80 degrees when the lights are on and 68 to 74 degrees when the lights are off.

You also have to watch humidity, because every time you water plants in a small space, you're going to get high humidity. It should be below 50 percent to prevent bud mold or rot.

[​IMG]
    Dan Ericson trims the "sugar leaves" - the single leaves close to the bud - off a pot plant, readying it for the drying process. Then he'll hang the plant upside down for a week to dry. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post)
    You can measure humidity with a hygrometer from a hardware or grow store, and reduce it with a dehumidifier or air conditioner.

Q:How would a home grower comply with the rule that limits them to three plants in flower?

[​IMG]Dozens of medicinal-marijuana plants grow under special lighting at Denver Relief. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post)

A: That means you can grow only three plants if you don't have two separate growing areas. The reason having only three plants is bad is that you want to keep a rotation going. Or else every time you get done harvesting, you have to go back to a store. If you want a continual supply, you want the perpetualness of having a vegetative stage and a flowering stage going all the time.

Logistics and costs

Q: How much does all this stuff cost?
    A: Most grow boxes are $200 to $400, but if you want one with HVAC temperature-control capabilities, it's pretty pricey - close to $1,000. You can find grow boxes at most local hydroponic stores or grow shops.
    A light system and building materials will run $350 to $1,000, and electricity costs per harvest are $100 to $200.
    Q:Where would a home grower get seeds?
    A: I actually never recommend starting a marijuana plant from seed, because you have to determine whether the seeds are male or female, which is difficult. Only female plants produce the flowers that are most desirable in terms of cannabinoid content. Male plants are pretty much unusable (for smoking purposes).

The best thing to do is to buy a clone - a cutting from a proven plant. People who have red cards (medical-marijuana cards) can buy clones from medical-marijuana centers and grow their own plants. If you know somebody who grows, it is legal today (under state law) for a 21-year-old (or someone older) with a marijuana plant in Colorado to give another 21-year-old (or older) a clone from that plant. But if you don't know someone who grows, I don't see an option to legally purchase seeds or clones in this state before 2014, when retail marijuana facilities open.

Cannabis botany 101
    Q:Tell us about the different strains of marijuana. How would people choose one?
    A: There are three types of cannabis - indica, sativa and ruderalis.
    Ruderalis is a ditch weed found in Europe with low THC content. The marijuana we're familiar with is indica and sativa. Indica has higher CBN (a type of cannabinoid) content, which relieves pain and makes you lethargic.

Sativa has the highest psychoactive content, is energizing and provides lucid thought. Most everything available today is a hybrid (and) carries the characteristics of both indica and sativa.

Indica-dominant hybrids are good for growing indoors, because they only get 2 to 3 feet tall from the top of the pot, with a diameter of 12 to 18 inches.

Q:Isn't hemp a type of marijuana? Can that be grown in a house?
    A: Hemp is basically a cultivated variety of sativa. For several thousand years, it has been bred for tall growth, fibrous stems and low THC levels. It still has the medicinal cannabinoids, but you need so many hemp plants to get valuable cannabinoid content - more than 100 - that it wouldn't be worth growing at home.

Care, air and food
    Q:What's next after obtaining clone plants?
    A: Place the clone in a pot filled with a planting medium. Although potting soil would technically work, we use a soilless growing media made from coco fiber, worm casings, perlite and vermiculite because it's developed specially for marijuana, even though (manufacturers) don't admit that. You can get premixed versions at grow stores - Royal Gold Tupur is a good brand.

A lot of people use hydroponics, where plant roots are free flowing in what is essentially a circulating water bath. But that can be a problem for inexperienced growers, because if you accidentally add too many nutrients to the water, you can burn or kill the plants because the roots suck the extra nutrients right up. Soilless media act as a buffer to protect the roots.

Q:What type of container is used?
    A: Many people use 5-gallon plastic buckets, but those create problems because the roots just wrap around themselves and form a large root ball. If you use a 3- to 5-gallon fiber pot, the root sticks through the pot and (the plant) air-prunes itself, while feeder roots grow in the pot. That gives the plant a larger nutrient intake.
    Q:How are the plants fed and watered?
    A: Most nutrient products in hydroponic stores come with very easy-to-understand directions and a "recipe" and schedule on the side of the package that you can follow. You should also water the plants every two to three days with tap water that has sat in a container for 24 hours to let the chlorine evaporate.

In addition, because you aren't growing the plants outside where carbon dioxide is abundant, you must supplement the indoor air with it. Many small-time growers use CO2 tanks (similar to those on a soda fountain machine) with a regulator valve. You can get these tanks from grow stores or beverage suppliers. You can also buy automatic controllers for the tanks that release CO2 at the ideal ratio of 1,250 to 1,550 parts per million.

Getting to harvest
    Q:What gets done with the plants after they've been potted?
    A: Start with clones that are 4 to 5 inches tall, and give them 24-hour light until they reach 9 to 15 inches. If you keep temperatures below 80 degrees, this takes four to five weeks - less if you're growing hydroponically.
    Then you want to throw the plants into the flower cycle (12 hours of light followed by 12 hours of dark). During the second to third week of flowering, prune the bottom third of the plant so it puts its growth energy into the top once buds form.
    Q:Then what?
    A: Most plants are ready to harvest after 65 to 70 days of flowering. A good way to tell if the plant is harvestable is to get a 45x magnifying glass from a grow store and check out the trichomes on the flowers. Trichomes are the translucent resin glands that contain the cannabinoids. When they turn amber or a milky purple, you know they're ready. This sounds difficult, but it's actually pretty easy for the layman to do.

Another option is, if about 80 percent of the flower's pistils turn orange or darker brown rather than white, then they're ready to harvest.
    Processing the harvest
    Q:OK, say a home grower successfully gets three pot plants to the final flowering stage. They're healthy and producing buds. How are they processed?
    A: When a plant is fully mature, some people cut it off at the base, then cut off the fan leaves and hang it upside down. After it's dried, they'll trim off all the outer "sugar" leaves (the single leaves close to the bud).

What we think is best is to take down the plant and cut off all the leaves at once. If you leave the sugar leaves on, they may make the marijuana harsher. We trim so the (flower) bud has a clean egg shape, and use (the sugar leaves) to make concentrates to smoke, vaporize or cook with.

Then you hang the plant upside down for about a week, until the stem snaps rather than bends. Conditions should be about 68 degrees with 50 percent humidity. If the plant dries too fast, it locks in the chlorophyll, making it taste like plant material instead of marijuana. If it gets too humid, it can mold.

More questions, more answers
    Q:Where can people find legitimate, affordable pot-growing help?
    A: There's a 1,200-page book that is beyond most other books and pretty much says everything you need to know about marijuana growing: "Marijuana Horticulture: The Indoor/Outdoor Medical Grower's Bible," by Jorge Cervantes (Van Patten Publishing, 2006). Our guys still keep it on hand, and they've been growing for 15 years.
    Q: Can THC be topically absorbed? Could people who grow fail a drug test if they touch their plants?
    A: You shouldn't have any issue with handling the plant, but the scent is very pronounced, so you may smell like marijuana.
    Q:What are the dangers for those who grow?
    A: Be discreet. You wouldn't tell everybody you have $2,000 just sitting on your nightstand, so don't tell everyone you have $500 to $1,000 worth of marijuana in your basement. Putting a lock on your growing-room door and installing a home security system is not a bad idea.
    Q: This is not something somebody who's not fully committed should do, is it?
    A: It is a daily, daily beast to take care of these plants. If you don't acknowledge something it's asking for for a day or two, you can lose two weeks of growth. Even if you do not mess up, that doesn't mean you're going to grow good marijuana.

Edited from an interview with Kayvan Khalatbari, principal of Denver Relief Consulting.

[​IMG]Nick Hice, cultivation facility manager at Denver Relief, harvests several of the plants, getting them ready for the drying process. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post)

One thing I would add,,there are alternative lighting systems that do not produce the heat or use the electricity the lights these guys are using,,and they are growing medical marijuana strains,,you may find a some bag seeds that grow good enough marijuana to fit your needs.

Also,with feminized seeds you can start from seeds every time and by the time a clone roots and starts growing again the seed plant is just as big or bigger.

Have fun endorsing or opposing their methods,,,marijuana growing is addictive,,even more than smoking it,,,once you have gotten good at growing,,and an empty grow room is the most depressing room in a house.:smoking:

2. awesome post. I just moved to Colorado and can see this guide being very useful when I get settled. someone should sticky it?

3. Yeah bud is not hard or expensive to grow. Big growers know this but they'll tell you otherwise so they can continue robbing you.

For less than $400 you can have a complete 400w grow set up including everything but the seeds/clones.

That is if you build a couple things yourself:

Build your own better box cheap instead of paying a few hundred for a prebuilt.

If you have the skills make your own hood out of sheet metal (if not learn). I made an air cooled hood every bit as good/nice looking/functional as something you'd see in a grow shop for $250+ out of a $1 piece of shiny sheet metal and an hour or two of my time.

I think hes a little high on the electric costs as well unless Co has much higher rates than the 0.10/kwh I have here.

Grow your own and enjoy those ~$10 ounces. :smoking:

4. #4 claygooding, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
    I would give anyone this advice,,do not grow to sell,,unless you have a license to produce commercially,,stay small enough that you have very little excess and avoid the temptation because with a legal limit of 1 oz that will be 90% of your customers,,so to make a living at it you will have a lot of traffic,,traffic is what gets most dealers busted,,you just can't hide it.

If done correctly a closet that is 8' tall with an inside dimension of 4 ft X 4 ft(at least 16 sq feet) can produce enough marijuana for two unless both are wooden heads like me,,build a shelf so you have a 3' vegetation room and a 5' flower room,,buy 2 clones every month,,veg for 3 months then move into flower,,depending on strain your first harvest will take 5>6 months and you will be harvesting 2 four foot tall plants every month after that,,,that should produce enough buds for two,,plus cookies and hash made from the trim leaves as it is growing,,also,,trim leaves work good in a vaporizer since the heat only melts the thc off the leaves. And it tastes much better than smoking them.

PS:male plants do produce thc,,they do not cluster out like the females but males from good strains makes good cookies,,and vaporize also. You also have to use cfl's or LED's bedause of the heat from the old style grow lights,,or a hel of a ventilation fan to keep the heat from cooking the top buds.

5. Thanks for the closet tips lol.

Been trying in mine for about 2 years now and have had 6 failed harvest.i have all the profesional equipment,ive read on these forums for 6 month's before trying myself and have been reading everything here.your right it aint easy.cant just stop trying though lol gotta be able to be done if there is a will there is a way i hope lol.

6. You don't say whether you were growing hydro but if so,change to soil,,it is much easier than trying to keep the nutrients and ph levels correct in a hydro grow. I am using a peat moss potting soil with plant food and worm castings already mixed in sold at a local garden supply,,you can also use potting soil without the plant food and use the hydro nutrients,,just feed them once a week with the same mixture ratios you put in the reservoir for hydro.:smoking:

7. I can't wait till I move from my poor degrading state to Colorado. You know Ammendment 64 gave them a huge economic boost and if other states nearby were smart they'd pass similar bills. Great info on this thread, and after reading it I have learned something. Why only 3 plants in flower I wonder? Great job op on this info!!! :smoking:

8. yea im running that ffof ocean forest stuff mixed with promix bx and thinking of adding perlite.had no idea it was so hard to grow decent pot.got a new jack herrer#2 so hopefully things will go better this time.

but your right about your original post,they getting stuff together real quick,prices are dropping down quite a bit on craig'slist some people arnt even asking for paperwork anymore and just making fun of it but most still are.

9. Yes theres a lot to learn to grow great weed but once you have it down it gets a lot easier..i dont even have to check them everyday if everythings going smoothly

10. So many states are just itching to collect tax revenues. They won't do that if people are home growing. Plus the measly limits mean that for someone that needs more meds, it's not gonna be enough and they'll be over the limit immediately. They might choose not to risk it.

These states want people to buy from THEM, not grow their own. This is why so many MMJ laws are now set up so strictly and to have state-run dispensaries/caregivers. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. I disagree on that floating,,you can brew your own beer with a lot less work than growing marijuana and a lot quicker,yet people go to the store and pick up a six pack,,because it is there,,the same will be true on marijuana.

Also,,home growing is necessary as a market/tax control,,if producers and/or taxes get too high more people will grow,,

12. Yeah, and think back to alcohol prohibition ending. Did it go to State-run municipal liquor outlets where they controlled the revenues? Yep.

Don't try to re-write history here. It tends to repeat. ;)

13. He makes it seem more complicated than it is.

If you've got a spare room or a closet, your AC will take care of the temperature. Seeds are fine, you don't need clones. 250W is also plenty enough for a personal grow, if you ask me. A ph meter, some soil, a timer, and a 250W HPS light are about all it takes. You could replace the ph meter with test strips, or the old purple cabbage trick. If you grow the right strains, you don't need to scrub the odors (though that's really an issue for non-legal states I suppose). Some strains are also just a hell of a lot easier to grow than others.

14. No,,it didn't go back to state run distilleries but yes,,many states owned the liquor outlets.
    Also,,when they legalized alcohol the reason for alcohol being banned was not in order to remove another substance from the market,,hemp fiber was why marijuana was banned in the first plae and the corporations that paid for that legislation still want it banned,,,so in order to accomplish that the government is going to keep reefer madness in place as much as they can so as to keep production indoors and no big grows,,if they can keep marijuana legalization tightly enough regulated that outdoor commercial grows are not allowed,,they get to keep hemp banned.
    I ain't rewriting history,,I am watching it being made.:rolleyes:

15. I don't doubt it. This country was practically founded on hemp. Any industry that hemp would compete with would have a strong financial interest in keeping it illegal.