Marijuana task force gets to work

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by claygooding, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Marijuana task force gets to work

When Colorado voters passed Amendment 64, legalizing the personal possession, use and home growing of marijuana, the state faced the challenge of developing the rules and regulations so the amendment can be implemented.

The first step to deal with challenges came when Gov. John Hickenlooper created the 24-member Amendment 64 Task Force on Dec. 10 because, while voters legalized marijuana in Colorado, all aspects remain illegal under federal law.

“The task force met for the first time Dec. 17 and since then, we have set up five working groups, each tasked with investigation of a specific area dealing with implementation of Amendment 64,” said state Rep. Dan Pabon,
    D-Denver, who is a task force member. “All the meetings of the task force and the working groups are posted on the state Department of Revenue's website. All those meetings are open to the public and there is a public comment period at every meeting.”

Pabon said working groups tackle one of five major subject areas: local authority and control; consumer safety and social issues; regulatory framework; criminal law issues and tax; and funding and civil law issues.
    “One or two task force members heads each of the working groups,” the state representative said. “Then, each working group calls on experts in the specific fields to help us develop our recommendations because we want to get it right, because this will be a basis for the framework for the future of these issues.”

Pabon is a member of the regulatory framework working group. He said the committee is like the hub of a wheel with the other working groups as the spokes, since the recommendations will be the basis of determining what is legal and what isn't.

“This has been a fascinating challenge,” he said. “Our first challenge was to educate ourselves so we can understand the nuances of a new industry. There is very little precedent to draw on but we did look at the regulations dealing with liquor, gambling and medical marijuana. These regulations have been tested by time and they became sort of a template as we looked at what worked and what didn't to help us as we sought to create rules for issues that didn't exist prior to the November election.”

The Regulatory Framework Working Group meets almost weekly, and Pabon said it is usually standing room only at every meeting.

“I expected there to be two groups on opposite sides of the issue, but it was refreshing to see there is a lot of common ground,” he said. “The common ground provides a good starting point as we work to develop our recommendations.”

The task force also faced the challenge of being required to develop the recommendations and present them to the state Legislature not later than Feb. 28.

The Legislature then must take action and pass the rules and regulations that are required to be in place not later than July 1 so all the aspects of Amendment 64 can be implemented in January 2014.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oInQm0CAmFY"]Video[/ame]

2. I just jizzed my pants a little.

3. I'm hoping that wa and co will set a sq foot limit om growing.The way I envision marijuana growing is for small say maybe up to a max of 10,000 sq feet of growing area.This will allow for many growers to profit and stimulate the economy.I'd like to see it like our wine producers here in this state.Can you imagine a pot wine tour combo lol.

4. It's a plant, stop wasting tax dollars trying to regulate it and let people enjoy. It's NOT liquor, it's NOT gambling, it's NOT ruining peoples lives. It's bettering them.

Jesus, even NORTH KOREA understands this, how are we that fucking ignorant?

5. Just because it's not technically illegal in nk, you really think those people are puffing away?

6. ^^^yup,,every village in South Vietnam had a hemp field and the people used marijuana before we ever got there.

7. North Korea doesn't understand shit.

8. Yes, they really are. It grows on the streets, in the fields, naturally. People pick it, and smoke it publicly. Soldiers even smoke it in their off time.

9. It is not/will not be legal to homegrow in Washington.

10. If I502 is to be amended it must be through another initiative and voted on by the people at the next election(2014).

It means gathering signatures and getting the amendment on the ballot but it can be done. It may not have enough incentive to add it in 14 but by 16 if people are tired of the greed by people that want to make the same profits legally that are made illegally then grow your own is the best market check valve to keep sin taxes and production/distribution costs competitive.

11. Wow. NORTH KOREA of all places understands that criminalizing marijuana is absolutely pointless, yet it's fought tooth and nail in areas that are supposed to be "progressive"; the irony. A dictatorship where people can barely be classified as free, allows its citizens the little pleasures of life. Yet here in the U.S. where we have far more freedom to live as we please, something that would clearly benefit our economy, heal many, and relieve stress for many is demonized to uphold capitalistic greed of opposing corporations that would suffer through marijuana's legality. How sad.

12. Suddenly north korea doesnt seem so bad.

13. Why put a limit on the size of a grow op? The bigger the better for everyone concerned.

14. They freed the weed but enslaved everything else.....how fucked up is that?

15. As the size goes up the quality goes down. To keep the same quality more overhead will be needed..

16. Thats not true. The quality can be maintained by someone that knows what they are doing. Its just a plant, not fissionable material.

17. I've lived here for 29 years & smoked 14 of those years & am beyond stoked that Colorado is setting the precedent. For once I am proud of my state and neener, neener, neener'ing at Cali lol

18. I always thought Cali would be leading the way on this but I guess they've given up the reins to CO and WA.

19. Isn't that soo funny, How stupid our government is, our how stupid they think we are.

Please Read ------

As Taxpayers regardless of federal law, no fed or any official should be able to disagree with a states laws, as all states are classified as independent, as well as the taxpayers are the ones paying for our own Government to waste our money on shit like this, And I really should send Obama giant rage mail, and get thrown into Guantanamo lol ill have to be professional to not be arrested...

We all know the real reason why weed is outlawed, the government still turns the other cheek as if Americans have not found out about that.... "Scheme" for a company too greedily sliver its way too indefinite profits. Even though as far as paper goes, its no longer a high-end product, therefor considering the real "reasons" why Weed was outlawed, and why out Government pursues it with a passion, kinda makes me smell conspiracy, Too many coincidences, The truth is guys, Weed has so many uses, not just in fuels, or clothing, or foods, or as medicine.............. Weed is the proof of god, one plant that can do all. (in a sense) No matter how much World Governments try it always survives and always comes back harder and faster. Yet they would rather waste BILLIONS in raiding potheads/cultivators.

Yet they could save all those BILLIONS, and then accumulate another indefinite amount in taxes....... Putting the product over-the-counter at some state regulated shop, or federal.

Its sad that, our government is really that oblivious too the American Life.
    Do we even have a government? I think we just have people who say they're in control and make the decisions, One Nation Under God. Now its; One Nation Under Control.

A revolution is really going too happen; Now the feds are using OUR TAX MONEY, too arrest TAX PAYERS, who are following, and abiding by there States, their lands rule, and law, but the government is allowed to go against the people, as much as they can before people start cop killing again.