Marijuana Sounds Too Formal

Discussion in 'General' started by Thejourney318, Jan 18, 2014.

1. I'm calling it. I mean, I used to often call it marijuana except when speaking conversationally. But really. For just regular, common usage, it sounds too formal. Sounds like a word used in mid-20th century anti-weed propaganda. "Marijuana is a menace to society!"

eh?

2. Marijuana sounds informal to me, Cannabis is more formal sounding to me.

3. There's like a million and one slang terms for marijuana anyhow. Use whatever you feel bro.

4. your opinion, man. cannabis sounds funky to me.

5. I don't really use that term too often, it's all situational for me. Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

6. Pot =  :devious:
    Weed =  :mellow:
    Bud =  :cool:
    Dope =  :metal:

I couldn't find one for marijuana.. I agree with OP

7. As long as I know you're talking about the plant Cannabis Sativa it's all good.

8. Marijuana- <_<
    Cannabis- B)
    Weed- :smoke:
    Pot- :hide:
    Herb- :love:

9. To the millions out there who grew up hearing pot, mj, marihuana, etc… I now prefer cannabis. It sounds to me less threatening and more like a valuable commodity ( OH indeed it will be. Wait till it starts getting traded on the Chicago Mercantile). T0 me, imo, cannabis just has a nice non-threatening sound to it.

10. grass, herb, and bud are my personal favorites

11. I hear ya, feel like there's no negative connotation to it.   I use cannabis most often now...and bud.  Everyone is different....can't stand the word loud though ha. 

12. Cannabis is the formal term. Marijuana, weed, grass, herb, reefer, ect. i'd call slang. Dope and pot are the most negative imo.

13. Using the word cannabis makes the person sound more educated, thus painting a better picture of the cannabis user.

14. That's what I am saying right along with you. As we become more active advocates we need to use more educated sounding terms and dress a bit more carefully than if at The Seattle Hemp Festival on 04/20/14. LOL

I encourage each person to join their state NORMAL organization and start advocating.

15. every time i call my dealer i ask for some dank cannabis lol

better than "  Yo man, ya got some motherfucking shit"

17. who says dope anymore when referring to weed? :confused_2:  maybe it's just me

i use different words depending on the context of the situation. mostly weed though, occasionally bud or herb :bongin: 

18. Just keep your audience in mind when reefering to it.

19. reefering intentional pun