Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana slows lung cancer in mice

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by maximus100389, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Hahaha nice!!!! Lmao

2. Haha, I know, right?

It's totally legit

3. who would have thought....

4. Me? I'm not laughing.

The article has misinformation mixed with truth. Too many will take the BS at face value.

And this isn't exactly new news! Way back in 1975, using human lung cancer tissue implanted in mice, they got exactly those same type of results! :eek:

[BOT] Anticancer activity of cannabinoids (Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 55, No. 3, September 1975, pp.597-602)

They knew this in 1975!

If we had aggressively followed this up, how many lives could have been saved? Would we have the cure for cancer by now?

"They hope that drugs mimicking the apparent anti-cancer effects of tetrahydrocanabinol (THC) could one day help treat patients. The team strongly discourage people from self-medicating by smoking marijuana, noting that doing so could potentially encourage tumour growth".

Let me get this straight- first sentence- they say cannabis has "apparent" anti-cancer effects and they want to copy them with (expensive) synthetics. And in the next sentence- don't smoke it because it may encourage tumor growth"??? :confused:

Tashkin's large study has shown that cannabis smokers have a slightly lower risk of lung and throat cancers than NON-SMOKERS! So where is Ganju getting his data from? The DEA? Here's an article on the study (far more "readable" than the actual study).

[SIZE=+1px]Smoking Cannabis Does Not Cause Cancer Of Lung or Upper Airways, Tashkin FInds; Data Suggests Possible Protective Effect[/SIZE]
    CCRMG

About that breast cancer business-
    Previous studies have also found that THC can shrink brain tumours. Nevertheless, experts caution people against smoking marijuana. "I wouldn't advise that. It could make the cancer grow faster," says Ganju, noting that THC might encourage the growth of breast cancer.

-perhaps Dr Ganju needs to read these.

Cannabidiol Dramatically Inhibits Breast Cancer Cell Growth
    Cannabidiol Dramatically Inhibits Breast Cancer Cell Growth, Study Says: The Hempire - [cannabis, uk]

“Medical Marijuana” Takes On New Meaning for Metastatic Breast Cancer
    Breast Cancer - â€Å“Medical Marijuanaâ€Â Takes On New Meaning for Metastatic Breast Cancer

Cannabidiol may be helpful in reducing the aggressiveness of breast cancer cells

BBSNews - Study: Cannabinoid Reduces Breast Cancer Cell Aggression

9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer

{Delta}9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Inhibits Cell Cycle Progression in Human Breast Cancer Cells through Cdc2 Regulation -- Caffarel et al. 66 (13): 6615 -- Cancer Research

JunD is involved in the antiproliferative effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol on human breast cancer cells
    JunD is involved in the antiproliferative effect of Delta(9)-tetrahydrocannabinol on human breast cancer cells.

Cannabis Compound May Stop Metastatic Breast Cancer
    Cannabis Compound May Stop Metastatic Breast Cancer - washingtonpost.com

It is nice that they gave the amount that was needed to slow the tumors, but it would have been better if they had given a per gram amount for cannabis, rather that saying that a joint can hold "up to" 150 milligrams of THC. Now I have rolled some "fatties" in my days, and I have rolled some "pinners". I've had good pot and bad. So what joint filled with which cannabis? :confused: A per gram rate might give a slightly more accurate amount.

I wonder what would have happen if they had tried the mice on a bit of Simpson's "Hemp oil" rather than oral THC? Cannabidiol has anti-cancer properties and is most definately NOT THC! What other compounds are in Cannabis? What can they do?

As long as cannabis is "Schedule 1", the government will never let us find out! :mad:

Granny :wave:

5. Thanks for the quality post Granny.

6. Chuckle .. it's been one of those daze, eh Granny?

7. #8 reginag, Jul 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2009