Marijuana shrinks parts of your brain?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by haddaway, Aug 23, 2009.

1. At least it doesn't form holes in your brain like swiss cheese such as another common drug I know...

2. #3 Blaghlagh, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
    Wow, haha, look at this study.

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-...ns-damage-binge-drinking-does-your-brain.html

So cannabis shrinks your brain, but at the same time protects your brain against damage? I call bullshit.

Edit: also http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/10/051014073523.htm

Not to mention they say this
    So they can't even prove it, they are just assuming because the people did smoke cannabis. What a crock, I thought science actually required, y'know, EVIDENCE.

3. If you're talking about mdma, that's a MYTH.

4. they used 15 fucking people. There is no way that is even statistically relevant. I don't know how these studies even get reported. I could take 15 random people and compare them to 15 smokers and get any results I wanted. This is completely crap. New sources that report these articles are obviously incredibly biased as no one would give a study this small any credibility till it had been repeated and enlarged.

5. Ive seen some crazy shit from doctors in my city about what Ecstasy does to your brain. ITs pretty fucking scary I myself quit doing the shit years back I dont know if it was eating holes in my brain but, I could tell it was doing irreversible damage to my brain.

6. Yep. The fake ecstasy that people sell is what causes holes in your brain. Real MDMA is fairly safe.

7. the main thing for me here is not only that it was such a small group of people, and that if they smoke 5 joints a day they were probably blazed during the tests, but that if you look at someone that drinks 5 times a day they probably wont still be alive, and if they are they probably into their 2nd or 3rd liver by now.

8. #9 Storm Crow, Aug 23, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2009
    And I got mine....

Effects of frequent marijuana use on brain tissue volume and composition
    Effects of frequent marijuana use on brain tissue volume and composition

The influence of substance use on adolescent brain development.
    The influence of substance use on adolescent brain...[Clin EEG Neurosci. 2009] - PubMed Result

A preliminary DTI study showing no brain structural change associated with adolescent cannabis use
    A preliminary DTI study showing no brain structural change associated with adolescent cannabis use

White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking.
    Unbound MEDLINE | White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. Journal article

Neuroimaging in cannabis use: a systematic review of the literature.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Neuroimaging in cannabis use: a systematic review of the literature. Journal article

Heavy cannabis use without long-term effect on global intelligence
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

And not only does it NOT shrink your brain, it may cause neuron growth (new brain cells)!

Marijuana Promotes Neuron Growth
    http://english.ohmynews.com/articleview/article_view.asp?menu=c10400&no=253377&rel_no=1

Marijuana May Spur New Brain Cells
    http://www.treatingyourself.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5921

Cannabinoids promote embryonic and adult hippocampus neurogenesis
    http://www.jci.org/cgi/content/full/115/11/3104

All those and many more are in "Granny Storm Crow's list"! :hello:

If you liked them and want to know more about cannabis- click on the link in my sig. :)

If you absolutely love scientific studies about cannabis, click the link in my sig, then check this out!- :D

http://forum.grasscity.com/medical-marijuana/448479-absolutely-free-grannys-list.html

Granny :wave:

9. Id like to see what alcohol does to your brain after drinking 5 drinks a day for 20 years.

10. the way i look at it, if i vape its one of the healthiest methods available so why worry about it im on top of my game these days

11. time to quit smoking weed... i dont want my brain shrunk =(

12. how anticlimactic

13. /thread.

14. MAY cause, of course there is no concrete evidence.

15. sounds like propanganda to me. this is the 21st century. People are alot more aware these days of false claims and propaganda, thanks to the web. Lies can spread fast, but they can also be contested quickly too.

remember refer madness.
    [​IMG]

16. ok so i just read a post on GC about how marijuana kills cancerous cells in our lungs, so having that be said maybe its not the brain actually shrinking? maybe it is the cancerous brain cells and cells that are dying off into our feces or urine? heh heh u never know im kinda high but seriously what if?:smoke:

17. Cells are being produced constantly. When something cancerous happens in your body, that means cells multiply TOO fast. Studies have shown that Cannabis activates a "Killswitch" in your brain that destroys only the UNWANTED cells. People who are delivering this propaganda need to get a degree in the medical field. I'm only 18 and I seem to know more than these idiots...

18. there was an australian government website about drugs i was reading the other day and there was an unsourced claim saying that "marijuana shrinks your brain". so i sent them an email schooling them on the benefits of cannabis and lack of evidence that it causes health problems and they sent back some fucked up study of like 10 people who also smoked tobacco as well.
    they said "these studies are too scientific to put on the website because no one would understand them so we just shorten it to say weed fucks your brain"
    but the actual study didnt mention anything about shrinking your brain, it was all wacky chemical formulas and shit and it said hooch might have had a small impact, not that it definitely shrinks your brain.
    so i sent them another message explaining sample control and statisical significance and noting that with such a small sample who also smoke tobacco is likely to prove ambiguous, but of course, no reply.

they did change the wording on their website because i told them marijuana doesnt shrink your brain and provided some sources though so maybe i should just keep emailing them.

19. Umm...what? There's evidence marijuana doesn't kill any brain cells. I don't know how your body would just decide what are certain "unwanted" cells, plus, the evidence claiming it doesn't kill brian cells contradicts the study.

No evidence suggesting it kills ANY cells.