Marijuana Should Legalized and Regulated Like Tobacco

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by capolitics, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Did you know that according to a study published in the October 2009 issue of The British Journal of Psychiatry, a woman using tobacco while she is expecting a child can result in her offspring displaying psychotic behaviour when the child becomes an adolescent? Now the same study says that usage of marijuana by a pregnant woman does not have any such effect on the to-be born child. Yet tobacco is regulated and sold over the counter to adults.

The British Columbia Mental Health and Addictions Journal recently published a report based on research that concluded that the costs for tobacco and even alcohol related health problems are far more significant than that of marijuana. It is perhaps the scepticism of critics that has given marijuana an unwarranted reputation as a highly damaging drug. Read More

2. Tobacco at least for me, is more addictive then Cocaine. Yes, Cocaine has more potential damage in a short time frame then Tobacco, but it is less addictive. Withdrawal to Cocaine is short, only lasts a few hours. Tobacco has a withdrawal period of at least 72 hours. Same goes with Klonopin; the withdrawal lasts a few minutes months later.
    Yet Klonopin can cause more physical harm then Tobacco.

But lets take in consideration the abuse of Tobacco compared to Klonopin or Cocaine. Since Tobacco is accepted by the population, people smoke up to 4 packs a day and that is ok. If someone try's to consume more then a gram of Cocaine daily, well they won't last long. At least to me, it is far more rational to do Cocaine sparingly, if at all, given the abuse potential. Same with Klonopin; the abuse potential is dangerous. Thing is, even with the warnings of Tobacco, individuals know the risk for smoking is quite a long term health risk; vs the shorter term health risks with Cocaine and Klonopin.

While marijuana does pose some health risks, they can be minimized. The primary health risk with smoking anything, is just that; smoke is bad for you. Why do more people use Gas BBQ's? I think it is they become tired of the smoke that is released in abundance; at least subconsciously. They might think they are doing it because Gas is easier to control or what not.

Regardless, the social responsibility of people should improve. I could do Cocaine or Klonopin daily, but I choose not too. It would be bad for my body. Seems that most people do not have any kind of social responsibility for themselves, much less the greater whole of their community. It's sad that we have to place limits on drugs, but that is the only way to keep people from getting out of control.

I hope when Cannabis is legalized in California that the people find some kind of control mechanism. Limits on yourself are a good thing. Knowledge is power as well. Eventually Cannabis will be legalized in many states, as momentum will grow from it being legal in California. In time, the Federal Government will have to reconsider law considering Cannabis.

My hope for the people is a new era of social responsibility. A place where the government does not have to spend billions of dollars annually to control it's people. Land of freedom, but not a lack of self control in oneself. In the long run, this will be a better system for the people and the government.