Marijuana Scientific Journal

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by B-Nasty, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Ive learned many great things here and one overwhelming thing.

Current state of affairs: Through no fault of its own, this forum is chock-full of misinformation.

The need: Ive spent countless hours on here learning and researching. The more questions you ask, the more varying answers you get. Everybody provides their two cents regardless of their experience level. Many times just regurgitating what they've read. I even found myself guilty of this.

The idea: My idea is simple: Create a thread where people can post their basic experiments. No opinions, no bias, no advice, no heresay, no polls, no bull. This place NEEDS this if we're all gonna move forward.Just the facts. Just quality experiments.

I wanna grow the dankest, hugest, fastest, best quality buds on earth. This is HOW WE CAN DO IT:

The experimentsMUST follow THIS basic format.

Here is the format:

1) State the question. (are we looking for yield? growth rates? product effectiveness in terms of those things just listed? what are you testing?)

2) State your hypothesis. (your prediction)

3) State your experiment's procedure.
    (Describe in detail HOW your going to carry our your experiment. Your VARIABLE must be directly related to your question)

A) State your single VARIABLE

B) State your CONTROLS

They have to be identical. Both plants being AK47 isn't good enough.
    They have to be clones.
    They MUST be treated identically. Same light, same nutes, same everything.
    The control plant(s) and the tested plant(s) MUST be grown at the same time.
    Except for the ONE variable, all else must be identical.

4) Gather your data and publish it. (Describe how your data is being gathered and gather it)

5) Interpret your data and forge your conclusion.

6) POST YOUR WORK HERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE. THEN THE REST OF US CAN DRAW OUR OWN CONCLUSIONS, CONDUCT OUR OWN EXPERIMENTS AND PICK UP RIGHT WHERE YOU LEFT OFF.

This is the foundation of science, we are all scientists in what we're doing here. And I just KNOW that there are a grip of smart individuals out there conducting their own little science experiments with their grows. PUBLISH THE EXPERIMENT IN THE FORMAT ABOVE.

:smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::hello::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking::smoking:

We'll cross bridges when we get there. We'll hone the process. We'll identify the needs. We'll implement the changes. We'll listen to the suggestions.

RULES:

1) If your experiment doesn't follow THE FORMAT and isn't labeled as such, its done. The scientific method exists for a reason.

2) Each experiment gets ONE post, and will be numbered accordingly. As questions are asked of THE SCIENTIST, the Experiment POST will be edited to include that information.

3) This list will surely be expanded and is surely open to suggestions.

[​IMG]

He's watching you, make him proud.

2. I love to see they energy and professionalism you bring.
    I don't know if your ideal will fly, but great to see the changes in attitude going on in this industry as professionalism and quality enter the space.

3. The options are:

A: Keep posting verbal diaharhea all over the forum. No structure, no method, all hearsay, leaving people like me clueless.

or

B: With 1/8 ounce of effort, we can triple the speed at which we better ourselves and our green thumbs. Provide a central location for knowledge in a readable, verifiable and mostly helpful information.

4. I'll second your idea. I'm a biologist - I'd love to see some actual data to inform my grow!

Have you done any studies though? Maybe you could start off the journal section of the site with a solid article of your own. Fuck man I'll peer-review it for you : ) I mean, I don't have a ton of grow experience but I know a lot about writing scientific research papers!

5. I also love the simple idea that the MJ growing community needs A LOT more rigorous scientific data and experiments to claim much of what has been said. I'm a scientist myself (about 6 months from a PhD in Biochemistry), so I completely understand this need. However, most of the growing community has little concept of what this means and will continue to pass along unsubstantiated claims. When I buy my own house and have a dedicated grow room (my wife has already approved this!! :D), believe me, the experiments will begin. I already have about 20 different things I want to do.

6. #6 B-Nasty, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010
    Thats what Im talking about! Yeah, Ive got a ton of experiements i want to do as well. This idea is like a super long term deal. I mean just one experiment is gonna take a whole grow. But let that one little experiement be a part of every grow you do. Then put it here.

Im just getting a grow up and running, Ive got tons of equipment and tons of ideas. I will figure out some good basic tests and do em.

I mean like super basic stuff. Like does adding a bloom booster to the end of your flowering cycle ACTUALLY make a measureable difference in yield. I mean that kind of info is critical for people yet nobody independent is out there measuring the manufacturers' claims. Or would adding more air stones/bubbles to a DWC create a faster growing plant. There are so many questions out there.

This stuff would be so easy to do. And like I mentioned before, I know people all over this forum have their little experiments going already, its just a natural thing that happens. If we can get those little experiments posted, the benefit would be huge.

7. And as far as me doing one to get it going...I will. Im going to figure out some little experiment that is applicable to what Im doing right now which is trying to germ, veg then clone. Itll be something simple. But the conclusion will be bulletproof. Whatever the question, and whatever the conclusion, it will be solid and verifiable. The data will speak for itself.

8. Hell yes.

I will commit to (at some point in the next couple of years. . .) "publishing" a legitimate scientific article. But I warn you, it may have to be about microgrowing - which is what I'm looking to excel at!

This is a fantastic idea. I'm also sort of shocked to see so many other scientists on here:smoking: Good to know that there are other people like me out there! I mean, let's face it. . . I keep my ganja in a 500mL erlenmeyer flask!

9. IM IN.ina month or so ill be taking clones and im definetly gonna experiment.