"Marijuana safer than alchohol"

Discussion in 'General' started by Hawaiian Haze, Jul 14, 2009.

1. If you've spent any time looking into the legalization debate on marijuana, your sure to have noticed one of the main points Marijuana advocates make is that "Marijuana is safer than alcohol".

They say that there have been far less deaths connected to marijuana than with alcohol. While this may be true, it may also be working towards lessening our rights as citizens. This could lead the government to reenact alcohol prohibition in light of the "promoted danger" alcohol presents. While it may seem like a far stretch, it most definitely is a possibility. Being under the legal drinking age, I cannot consume alcohol in the United States but beside the point; alcohol is a worldwide consumed drug and if the US were to make it illegal, many other countries may follow. It should rather be said that marijuana is a much safer 'alternative' substance to alcohol rather than 'better'.

That being said, I still very much support the legalization of MJ and hope to someday see it regulated in a way that makes it readily available as a medicine, recreation, and productive means of economic propulsion. Thanks for reading.

2. There's really no chance of that happening, dude. Tried it once, failed miserably. Alcohol is just too big a part of American culture.

3. I dont think it would lead to alcohol prohibition again, too many people drink, it would never come to frution with a vote. but since MJ is already prohibited, we can not even vote it back in. The main problem with the its not as bad as drinking/cigs, is that thoose have such a negative connotation to them to the general public, the filhty drunks the smelly smokers. By brining down a realitve being substance to the harm level of tobaco and alchol gives mj a bad name by association. now if you wanna drink or smoke or hell inject drano into you feel free its not my place. but lets not bring weed down to the publics idea of tobacco and grain beverages.

4. So is tobacco, but Obama just banned all flavored tobaccos... Shit's getting scary

5. ha.alchol prohibation,like to see the day.

6. Tobacco is big, but some of the public opinion has turned on it since people realized second hand smoke is bad and how many toxins are actually in cigarettes....