Marijuana possession ticket

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by dhworldorder, Mar 8, 2007.

1. Hey guys, I tried searching the "busted" and associated threads about what to do...but I'm still a little confused. I live in southern California and recently received a ticket for possession of marijuana under 1 ounce. Are ther any socal natives that have been in the same situation? I don't know what I should say in court. I'm a really poor college student, and I don't think I'll have the means to pay for any fines or classes. Any advice?

2. California
    [​IMG] <NOBR>[​IMG] decriminalized </NOBR><NOBR>[​IMG] medical </NOBR><NOBR>[​IMG] hemp </NOBR>
    <TABLE borderColor=#cccc99 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99>[​IMG]</TD><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99>
    [​IMG]
    Incarceration
    </TD><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99>
    [​IMG]
    Fine
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99 colSpan=4>Possession</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>28.5 g or less</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>none</TD><TD class=report align=right>$100</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>More than 28.5 g</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>6 months</TD><TD class=report align=right>$500</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>28.5 g or less on school grounds while school open (over 18 yers old)</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>10 days</TD><TD class=report align=right>$500</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>More than 28.5 g on school grounds while school open (over 18 yers old)</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>6 months</TD><TD class=report align=right>$500</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99 colSpan=4>Cultivation</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>Any amount (exception for patients or caregivers)</TD><TD class=report>felony</TD><TD class=report>16 - 36 months</TD><TD class=report align=right>none[​IMG]</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99 colSpan=4>Sale</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>Gift of less than 28.5 g</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>none</TD><TD class=report align=right>$100</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report>Any amount</TD><TD class=report>felony</TD><TD class=report>
    2 - 4 years​
    </TD><TD class=report align=right>none</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report>28.5 g or less by a minor</TD><TD class=report>misdemeanor</TD><TD class=report>none</TD><TD class=report align=right>$250</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report>Any amount to a minor over 14 years old</TD><TD class=report>felony</TD><TD class=report>3 - 5 years</TD><TD class=report align=right>none</TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD class=report>Any amount to a minor under 14 years old (includes offering, inducing, distributing, or employing)</TD><TD class=report>felony</TD><TD class=report>
    3 - 7 years​
    </TD><TD class=report align=right>none</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99 colSpan=4>Miscellaneous (paraphernalia, license suspensions, drug tax stamps, etc...)</TD></TR><TR><TD class=report colSpan=4>Any conviction of minor under 21 causes driver's license suspension for 1 year.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE borderColor=#cccc99 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=1><TBODY><TR bgColor=#cccc99><TD class=report colSpan=3><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" bgColor=#cccc99 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=report bgColor=#cccc99>Details</TD><TD class=report>
    [​IMG]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=report colSpan=3>Possession of 28.5 grams or less of marijuana is not an arrestable offense. As long as the offender can provide sufficient identification and promises to appear in court, the officer will not arrest the offender. Upon conviction of the misdemeanor charge the offender is subject to a fine of $100. Possession of greater than 28.5 grams is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $500.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=4 cellPadding=2 width=160 align=right bgColor=#cccc99 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=report>
    Proposition 36
    The Substance Abuse and Crime Prevention Act passed by 61% in 2000 ​
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Possession of 28.5 grams or less of marijuana on school grounds when the school is open is punishable by up to 10 days in jail and a $500 fine. Possession of greater than 28.5 grams or more of marijuana in a school zone is punishable by up to six months in jail and a fine of up to $500.
    The cultivation or processing of any amount of marijuana is punishable by up to sixteen months in state prison. There is an exception to the cultivation prohibition for patients or patients' caregivers who possess or cultivate for personal use by the patient upon approval of a physician.
    The laws regarding possession and cultivation of marijuana do not apply to patients or patients' primary caregivers who possess or cultivate marijuana for the personal medical use of the patient, upon the recommendation or approval of a physician.
    Selling marijuana in any amount is punishable by 2 – 4 years in the state prison. Giving away less than 28.5 grams is a misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of up to $100.
    Sale of marijuana to a minor is punishable by 3 – 5 years in prison.
    For anyone under the age of 21 convicted of any of the above offenses, the state may suspend the offender's driver's license for up to one year.
    Possession of paraphernalia is a civil fine of $200-$300 for the first offense and goes up to $5,000-$6,000 for a fifth or subsequent violation within a five-year periood.
    A breakdown of CA county and local medical marijuana guidelines is available here: http://www.safeaccessnow.net/countyguidelines.htm.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    [​IMG] Decriminalization: The state has decriminalized marijuana to some degree. Typically, decriminalization means no prison time or criminal record for first-time possession of a small amount for personal consumption. The conduct is treated like a minor traffic violation.
    [​IMG] Medical marijuana: This state has medical marijuana laws enacted. Modern research suggests that cannabis is a valuable aid in the treatment of a wide range of clinical applications. These include pain relief, nausea, spasticity, glaucoma, and movement disorders. Marijuana is also a powerful appetite stimulant and emerging research suggests that marijuana's medicinal properties may protect the body against some types of malignant tumors, and are neuroprotective. For more information see NORML's Medical Marijuana section.
    [​IMG] Hemp: This state has an active hemp industry. Hemp is a distinct variety of the plant species cannabis sativa L. that contains minimal (less than 1%) amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive ingredient in marijuana. Various parts of the plant can be utilized in the making of textiles, paper, paints, clothing, plastics, cosmetics, foodstuffs, insulation, animal feed, and other products. For more information see NORML's Industrial Use section.

3. Crap, reading that was fine until I realized I was caught at a University of California. Oh boy...Guilty, not guilty, no contest...how to plee?

4. Consult a lawyer?

5. Yea if this makes it worse being on a campus and all in the eyes of the law then DEF get a lawyer do not risk it. I know its expensive man but find a way your freedom, or at the least your freedom to smoke weed, could be gone for awhile :mad:

6. That is referring to public school(elementary, junior high, high school) not college.(I am 95%+ sure of this)