Marijuana: No Medicinal Value

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by NefariousBredd, Aug 30, 2011.

1. #1 NefariousBredd, Aug 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2011
    Can someone please explain to me how this is not an absolute smoking gun:

[​IMG]

Has no one ever used this as a defense for medicinal use in court? Could a dispensary use this to challenge the constitutionality of the medicinal ruling? Could it be used to challenge marijuana's schedule 1 ruling? What about the 400+ blanket ban on cannabinoids (some not even synthed yet) in TX and other states? This MUST prove that such bans are absolutely unconstitutional, right?

This is an absolute admission, on the part of our Government, acknowledging the medical value of cannabinoids. I can see it no other way.

2. First, welcome to the forums!

Second, welcome to the hypocrisies of cannabis!

All we can do is silently protest with our pipes and bongs, forming groups, pushing logic instead of propaganda, the changes will come, slowly but surely, they are coming :)

3. What else can I say...they are hypocrites. I believe that this has been used in an attempt to remove reschedule Cannabis from schedule I, but the government is saying that the non-psychoactive chemicals in Cannabis are beneficial (like CBD) but the plant itself is not. That would constitute using a psychoactive plant yourself instead of the government and FDA synthesizing a cannabinoid for us. Unfortunately some medicinal properties of cannabis require interacting cannabinoids and metabolic changes in our bodies to be effective. They are just covering their asses in case these chemicals start getting synthesized they can have the control over the industry. GROW YOUR OWN!!!!!!

4. Thank you for the welcome. I hope to contribute much. The blanket ban in TX has me in a fury that I cannot rightly put into words. I'm ready to fight.

5. Honestly they're just digging their own graves with this. Normal thinking people see the idiocy in how they've got a substance with proven medical benefits in the same class as LSD/Heroin and then they see stuff like Cocaine and Prescription opiates in the lower classes.

Also they keep denying petitions to reschedule cannabis and they don't even want this to go to court because they know that they'd lose the second facts and reason are applied.

6. It is not a "smoking gun" for whole plant cannabis as a medicine because it does not pertain to whole plant cannabis. This patent is for a method of treating certain conditions with cannabinoids. There are a number of cannabinoids, both synthetic and naturally ocurring, including those produced naturally by the body.

Remember that certain cannabinoids are already legal. Specifically THC is legal in the U.S. and has been sold as the FDA approved prescription medication Dronabinol/Marinol since the mid 1980's. In other areas of the world both THC and CBD are sold legally as the prescription medicine Sativex (Sativex may soon be legal in the U.S. as well).

According to the DEA "Medical marijuana already exists. It's called Marinol."

Marinol - the Legal Medical Use for the Marijuana Plant

So according to the DEA, as long as Marinol is legal we don't need cannabis as a medicine.

A lot has been made of this patent, but it is not that meaningful for legalization of medicinal cannabis. The DEA "knows" that cannabinoids are medicine. There are THOUSANDS of studies showing the medical potential of cannabinoids. There just aren't enough studies showing the medical potential of whole plant cannabis to satisfy the DEA. And with NIDA and the DEA in charge of the supply of "official research cannabis" there may never be. Catch 22 :(

7. You make a good, albeit bitter, point about whole plant cannabis.

What about the hundreds of synthetics banned in TX and many other states? They are certianly NOT plant anything. Yet cannabinoids that have never even been synthed are going to be outlawed as being addictive and having no medicinal value.

Could this patent provide a measure of leverage for challenging the synthetic bans? What about as a defense in the event of an arrest? The ban is clearly unconstitutional, even without the govt holding a patent on canns.

Thoughts? Just bitch about it for a while and move on?

8. I think it's doubtful that this patent could be used to challenge the ban on any synthetic cannabinoids. Just because something may have medicinal value does not mean you cannot ban it. On the federal level the CSA uses several criteria to determine the appropriate schedule of a controlled substance. Lack of a current accepted medical use is only one of the criteria.

Cannabis fails to meet several of the criteria for Schedule I status (in the view of MMJ advocates at least): No accepted medical use, high risk of abuse, lack of accepted safety for use under medical supervision. These criteria just do not seem to apply to cannabis.

Even if the synthetics were to have proven medical use, I doubt you could make the argument that there isn't high risk of abuse and lack of accepted safety in using the banned synthetics.

I don't think there's any chance this patent could be used as a defense in the event of an arrest.

I have no idea how the synthetic bans at the state level work.

Also the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the federal ban on cannabis is constitutional in Gonzales v. Raich (one of the craziest decisions I have ever seen). Commerce clause...:mad:

9. The hypocrisy can't go on forever. How long will it last is the question though?

10. Until people lock, load, and mount up.

11. I totally think your right.. as sad as it is. The only way we will make any progress is through putting fear into all marijuana opposers. People need to start rioting, and defending themselves when the DEA kicks their door in. It shouldnt have to go to this extent, but with all the corruption and greedy people, its the only way.

12. Not much fear to rule in such ways when ultimately, all the laws fall upon the International TREATY that is the CSA. It's an unconstitutional foreign treaty. If it ever comes to light that none of this is legal, they can just wash their hands of it because they were just "following the letter of the law....er... treaty." ;)

13. Taxes are unconstitutional too, while we're at it. So is the Fed, which isn't even an entity of our government and is controlled by foreign bankers. So is the numbers of troops we have here on domestic soil to quell "Civil Unrest". It's unconstitutional to arbitrarily write changes into the constitution, but it's done all the time. J-Dubbya loved to do this, was a favorite passtime. The Patriot Act is unconstitutional as is the Patriot Act II. The First and Fourth Amendment's are in complete tatters. Bans without proof of harm or verifying a lack of medicinal potential are unconstitutional. Drug tests are unconstitutional, let alone pulling someone out of a car and sticking them with a needle road-side (Texas, Montana, others). How about "No Knock" warrants, provisioned for a war on terror, being used in drug cases? Totally unconstitutional. SWAT-style raids? Unconstitutional.

These things happen every day. They will continue until we make the sacrifices necessary to stop it.

14. #14 Storm Crow, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2011
    Until people lock, load, and mount up.

I disagree!

I think education is the answer! :yay:

Once people learn the medical facts about cannabis, the need for legalization become obvious! :smoke:

WebMD, a very respectable medical site, says this about cannabis-

Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's (news - 2006) (see sentence #2! :D)
    [FONT=&quot]Marijuana May Slow Alzheimer's[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT] Chemicals in Marijuana May Fight MRSA
    Marijuana Ingredients May Fight MRSA

Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries
    Marijuana Chemical Fights Hardened Arteries

Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer
    Marijuana's Active Ingredient Targets Deadly Brain Cancer

Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors
    Marijuana May Fight Lung Tumors

[FONT=&quot]Marijuana Ingredients Slow Invasion by Cervical and Lung Cancer Cells Pot Slows Cancer in Test Tube[/FONT]

Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain
    Marijuana Ingredient May Cut Fibromyalgia Pain

Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain (news - 2004)
    Cannabis Relieves Multiple Sclerosis Pain

Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation (news – 2007)
    Pot Chemical May Curb Inflammation

Pot-Based Drug Promising for Arthritis
    Pot-Based Drug Promising for Arthritis

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain (news – 2003)
    [FONT=&quot]Heavy Marijuana Use Doesn't Damage Brain[/FONT]

Click that first link in my sig for the actual medical studies!

All "taking to the streets" with violence does is give us a bad rep! VOTE and SPEAK UP! That is how we do it right! :smoke:

Granny :wave:

15. The above post is a priceless trove of information. Unfortunately for the people of Montana (for example) speaking up and voting won them a meaningless victory. SWAT descended on their voter-approved initiative with great vengeance and furious anger, so that we would know that they are THE LAW!

I don't condone violence in any way, shape or form. Still, I can sympathize with those who are pushed to the brink by the failings of our political system. As any student of history can readily confirm, American prohibitionists are walking a well trodden path. It's final destination should be painfully obvious to anyone who cares to look. I believe that prohibitionists are, by definition, insane. Repeating the same doomed actions, expecting different results.

16. And when their message is that pot HAS medical benefit, but is still too "dangerous" for the average person to have in raw form. It must be "Big Pharma-fied" for our "safety and protection."

May as well start reasoning a response to this, as they are already holding press conferences to this effect. The President, no less. ;)

17. He speaks truth. They will protect us from the dangers of cannabis with synthetically engineered retardifying alternatives to actual marijuana. Failing that, they will protect us with prisons and all the glorious violence, sodomy and disease that comes with it.

It only took 3% of our population to win our right to drink tea free of tyranny. I would think there would be a hell of a lot more of a turn-out for good ole marry jane. :(

18. I agree, however I have to ask this question.: Did the founding fathers use paper and ink to win freedom from england? NO! They shed their BLOOD and FOUGHT for FREEDOM ! There is a reason the phrase was coined: "Speak softly and carry a big stick." If they won't listen to the facts and reason and do things peacefully then they need to be hit in the head with said stick. I would rather have things go peacefully than violent because there are more people to enjoy life with on the road of peace then having to tread the alleyways of violence.

19. And truth be told, our "Founding Fathers" did it with only 3% of the colonial population.

3%.

Simply observing historic fact.

20. What upsets me is I didn't learn about the truth about marijuana until I got an itch to research it myself. We need some billboards and tv ads to urge people to educate themselves.