Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana Music

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Zootini, Jan 4, 2014.

1. #1 Zootini, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
    \tMUSIC & MARIJUANA[​IMG]
    Marijuana's influence in music has always interested me. I have grown up listening to Hip Hop and RnB where cannabis reference and usage is rife. Listening to West Coast rappers such as Dr Dre, Ice Cube and Snoop Dogg introduced me to marijuana in the mid nighties (when I was just 8 years old). I didn't take much notice of it then until the past few years where I have found myself asking questions like; â€œIs music and marijuana ingredients for great tunes”, “Do artists rely on the effects of marijuana to make music?”, and â€œTo what extent has music influenced my use of the sacred herb”. 
    Before typing this blog entry I done a bit of reading around the origins of marijuana in music. Of course the plant was used by Indians, Africans in tribes when orchestrating tribal chants. I was more into looking at how cannabis was introduced to main stream western music. Whilst reading various articles I was soon made aware that Mary Jane's first love with music was with Jazz. I actually find this quiet ironic to the sense where I only started listening to Jazz a few months ago and it was whilst at a friends house having a session where my ears appreciated the sound of Jazz. I was pretty stoned that night and its safe to say that I found the music more in touch with my senses. Prior to that I honestly had no time for Jazz.
    I am not a musician, but as I fan I can say listening to music stoned does sound better. I feel that as time feels slowed down my mind has more time to break down the architecture of a track. Sounds of instruments I may have missed in normal state become louder and more apparent. At times it does feel as if I am listening to a new song whilst stoned. If I could present a single comparison to musicians that do get stoned to make music I could say that I do get stoned when I am writing or pretty much doing anything I feel being stoned could improve the experience. This ranges from watching movies to playing GTA V, but in use with my creative output I do feel whilst stoned I can express my views and ideas more expansively. I am able to focus more on singular thoughts and I feel I can put more of my mental energy into them whereas in a normal state I feel my mind juggling numerous thoughts at a single time.
    It is a fact that cannabis is rife within the modern day music industry. I can talk particularly on hip hop and figures such as Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Redman, and more recent out spoken tokers such as Wiz Khalifa, scHoolboy Q and even Justin Bieber has become a celebrity stoner. These artists incorporate cannabis in their careers in different ways. For example I read a interview on scHoolboy Q where he says that he has never wrote a lyric while not being stoned. This begs the question would he be scHoolboy if weed wasn't there? I think not. This to me is a sign of a musician that requires the herb to make the music he is renowned for. He really needs to make a track while sober so we can really tell the difference. In my opinion there are also artists that ride on the image portrayed with cannabis to create a larger fan base and maybe loosing some of their own in the process. Justin Bieber to me is a prime example of this type of ‘stoner celeb'. Firstly I do not rate my opinion of his actions with cannabis. The guy draws unwanted attention towards the already socially stigmatized plant. His exuberant selfies to smoking out a car in America only to open the doors to a cloud of smoke and his entourage of bum fluff Disney rejects to eject themselves from the vehicle in a mist of imagery greenery. I do not rate.
    [​IMG]Justin Bieber drawing attention.

On a end note I must say that whether you smoke weed while listening to music or to create music its all good. Many may argue that the herb makes no difference whatsoever but I think it does. State of mind plays an important part when taking any substance. If you and your mind believe that cannabis does heighten creativity or experience then it will. There is a reason behind the saying “mind over matter” and this is concurrent within the consumption of cannabis too.

My blog can be found here:  http://zootini.wordpress.com/

2. If people listen to artist who talk about smoking weed a lot then I would say they would def try smoking at least once. I would also say those artist don't need to be high to make songs but it would def help. I got tons of friends that like to get high and listen to instrumentals and make their own song. Music is awesome without weed but usually like everything else weed makes everything better and listing to music while stoned with some good bass just gets you in a real chill mood.

3. [quote name="csa1021" post="19276077" timestamp="1388793948"]If people listen to artist who talk about smoking weed a lot then I would say they would def try smoking at least once. I would also say those artist don't need to be high to make songs but it would def help. I got tons of friends that like to get high and listen to instrumentals and make their own song. Music is awesome without weed but usually like everything else weed makes everything better and listing to music while stoned with some good bass just gets you in a real chill mood.[/quote]I agree. Muscians don't particularly need to be high to make/perform music. Do you think a person listening to music about weed while not being high or a cannabis user can appreciate the tune as much ?Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

4. I use to listen to weed songs before I smoked, I enjoyed them just as much as back then. But nothing beats those crazy euphoric highs in combination with music

5. Ronnie James Dio smoked half a joint before going onstage \\m/

One of the reasons I love smoking is because it makes music better. It makes listening to music a more immersive experience

6. I make music. And I don't need to be high to make my stuff, but it does cause more of an inner thought to your music. You mess up a little bit of things that are not to hard to fix, so you can correct the little errors the next day or once your high has lowered some bit. I produce stuff, but as I've met rappers and they get high then just sing what's on top of there head or they will start writing down what they are thinking about then go off that.

7. So I've just finished my blog post and thought I'd bump this thread for those of you who could spare some time to read. 

Your feedback would be appreciated of course :) 

8. I tend to smoke weed when I write, mainly because it opens up my mind a lot more. Words just come to me a lot easier then what it does when I'm sober.

9. Weed definitely gets my creativity flowing when I'm making music. It makes you feel relaxed and enjoy the experience instead of getting aggravated cause you can't get it to sound just right haha music also sounds more natural IMO

Do you feel as a musician you can make equally good music while sober?

11. I don't feel I could at all, I think it's because I don't get the same vibe and the only other time I get the vibe of being high is while surfing. And the surf is bearly breaking at the moment haha Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

12. Just as coffee helps you get a start in the morning, I feel like bud has the same role with music. These industry cats have the potential to craft some great tracks, but I don't think bud is a necessity for making dope music. If anything, I think marijuana just eases the stress that comes during the process of making a song.

I hear that. 

I like your annotation with the coffee. 

I appreciate the comments guys.

14. I could vouch for this, I'm a producer myself and I find that when I smoke herb, my ideas seem to flow and sound great. Things come naturally and looking at many things that I could have added to my projects while sober,  I improve with creative tweaks when high.

I've created and designed certain sounds so naturally while high that I thank its existence. 

This is not to say you cannot produce quality music without weed. I can surely make a quality product sober too.

I would claim that it boosts creativity and the outside of the box thinking can be beneficial.  :smoke:

15. My friend who's a DJ usually gets high and writes down his creative thoughts for music making. Then he produces it sober.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

16. I'm already musically inclined. I wouldn't say I have a future in songwriting by any stretch of the imagination.
    I find creative thoughts come A LOT more easily when I'm high; I'm less likely to dismiss an idea.
    I need to start writing some of my thoughts down because some of them are pretty decent. I'm usually too caught up in enjoying the high and my thoughts to write them down.

17. Did anyone actually read this? Lol

18. @[member="Zootini"] "Many may argue that the herb makes no difference whatsoever but I think it does" I AGREE homie... you will LOVE my new book, Smoking Music.

View attachment 1402413

19. ive never heard someone deny that weed doesnt make music sound better. weed makes music and just abou teverything better

20. @[member="peleray"] I did :)