Marijuana more potent than ever a myth?

Discussion in 'General' started by Magical Wizard, Jul 6, 2011.

1. You know how you always hear that weed has gotten more potent since like 1960. I was just thinking what if it's just the world has been getting more advanced making everything seem more mindblowing? So we think we're getting higher?

Idk if that makes sense, I'm stoned:smoke:

2. Makes sense to me but im high too. But I always heard that in the 60's & 70's they smoked more of the leaves than the actual bud. That's what I remb my dad saying. I thought that must've sucked but they didn't kno any better so mayb our kids will be saying the same thing bout us. :smoking:

3. You're correct in saying the world is getting more advanced. With such advancement, it shouldn't be hard to believe that the quality of MJ is also better because of years of tweaking and the like.

It's no myth. I'm sure there was some good bud back then, but nowadays we've created some potent strains.

4. definitely, but did u ever see a high times mag from the 70s?, straight up swag looking stuff.

5. Dude, you're friggin' high. LOL! But I agree, with technology advancing our minds ought to be expanding slowly. You know, like evolving. We must!

6. Yeah same here, my dad said the same exact thing. I was like "what the fuck...?"

7. Ha yeah dude. Some pretty ugly and poorly trimmed bud from what I saw.

If people in the 70's smoke some leafage too, because they didn't know any better, then it makes me wonder how weed was first smoked. Like when humans first discovered it. Probably smoked the whole thing lol

8. No, I believe its that more potent marijuana is more easily available to to everyone then it was back then.

One time my teacher tried telling me that there was so pot back in the 60's and 70's that was as strong as it is today.
    I was liike "Excuse me, but that is BS. Its just that more potent pot is
    more easily available to people now."

She asked me why, I couldn't tell her that on this forum for pot smokers people who were toking it up back then have said what I just told you. So I was like "Places."
    She scoffed at me :(

9. I can imagine the Californians have had it good for a long gime but here in the UK good weed has only been freely available for the last 5 to 10 years, getting better every year depedning on who you know.

This has to have somthing to do with the cost of hydroponic gear. Also 20 year ago grass seemed to be the entire plant just ground up and bagged up..

I was introduced to weed when I was about 15 and by 17, as a punk kid and his mates, we figured we were pot heads who new a thing or 2 about weed, that year we took the boat to Amsterdam.... I will never forget... me and a freind went halves on a bag of Super Skunk (Sensi Seeds).. bought from the Hard Rock Cafe I kid you not (they stopped selling weed soon after btw, maybe 1995 or there and there abouts) Anyho yeah, we opened the bag and had never smelled anything like it! we thought wtf is this schwag! lol.... it wrecked us and we saw the light... even then.. back in 93, it was at least a good 3 or 4 years until we saw skunk in the UK and it was killer expensive.... and in many cased wet and badly trimmed!...

I even recall a advertisment in a magazine called Viz selling skunk spray saying spray it on your stash to make it smell awsome.... or somthign like that!... there were even rumours people poured crushed glass in it to make it look super frosty!... dang dealers!

10. It makes scence that It would increse in pontincy due to advances in indoor growing like lighting est also advances in selective breeding

11. Should have been "Bitch, you made the initial assertion that brought the subject up. Why don't YOU prove your claim before I have to defend mine?"

12. indoor bud is grown under controlled conditions, which makes the bud more potent.

its called Science.

13. That teacher gets ragged on all the time.
    We were in psych, and she was telling us a story about how she doesn't like cheesey things because of a "bad experience" at a party so I say. "Yea I bet you got cheesed on alot at that party."
    lol

14. probably not,it comes from the ground as it has been grown from before.Maybe they where smoking something else from the plant as we smoke today,or better technology materials we use,I don't really know.

15. I aint speaking from experience or anthing but I dont think this is strictly true.. the indoor bit im talking about... I'm only going off shit Jason King harps on about in the Cannabibles... He is super pro outdoor bud... same deal.. controlled conditions.. but he really raves about organic outdoor bud, Californian mainly but anywere that gets great Sun... Spain, Australia etc. He even has a bit of a gripe in vol 2 about the winner of an Australian Cannabis cup being a indoor grown sample when there were so many better outdoor samples in the competition.

Also, on strainhunters, Arjan and the team seem to be in favour of growing their sativa dominent strains outside. Neviles Haze, I belive, is a strain best grown outdoors.

Like I say though, I aint speaking from experience.

16. No it isn't a myth strains nower days have more THC than strains in the 60's 70's

Whats a myth is that they cause phycosis and syxisaphrania ok i spelt that wrong.....lower your weapons i'm high ok :smoke:

17. As some one else already mentioned, everything has advanced since the 60's.

Tomatoes are redder and more jucy, corn is more draught resitant. etc etc. Some of that has been caused by genetic engeering, but alot of it is just because of proper breeding.

Weed is the same. I've heard it said before that alot of the old famous strains from the 60's still match up to our strains today. I can't say, I wasn't alive back then.

18. On average yes. I started smoking about '71. We did smoke more what today would be called schwag. But there were elite strains around at least as good as today's strains. We had Panama Red, Colombian Gold, and Acapulco Gold, and Thai Sticks if you could get 'em. So, kinda.:D

19. I think back then the ratio of dankity dank to shwag was a lot different, the scales tipping to the shwag. But I also know that since then there's been hundreds of newer, better strain created and perfected. So the answer to your question is yes, and no. There was good pot back then, but a lot less of it.