Marijuana may hike risk of psychosis, research finds... <-- WTF!

Discussion in 'General' started by Still Smokin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. [quote name='Alphå']Use of caps and large bold text is intentional, becuase what I have to say is the absolute truth:

NO STUDIES, SURVEYS, OR EXPERIMENTS DONE WITH MARIJUANA ARE SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE. IT IS ILLEGAL, AND USE OF IT FOR EXPERIMENTS IS IMPOSSIBLE. FURTHERMORE, THE ONE CROP THE US GOVERNMENT MAINTAINS FOR ITS FEDERAL MEDICAL MARIJUANA PROGRAM AND 'EXPERIMENTATION' ARE POORLY USED... THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT USE BUD FOR ITS EXPERIMENTS, IT USES STEMS, LEAVES, AND SEEDS. ANY STUDIES , SURVEYS, OR EXPERIMENTS DONE BY THE GOVERNMENT CAN NOT BE TRUSTED, AND THE ONLY ACCURATE SCIENTIFIC ENDEAVORS ARE DONE BY PRIVATE OR STATE UNIVERSITIES.

This is even more true in that the head of the program at Mississippi University where they grow government pot has said that the marijuana cigarettes rolled from the pot he grows are rolled by machines in North Carolina and potent pot is too resinous and sticky and messes up their machines, so they use mostly leaves, not buds.

2. That is pure and utter bullshit.
    That is all it does. The scientific studies have not shown anything more, sorry to say. So yes, people who are pre-disposed to be schitzo, smoking cannabis will only help that come to the surface. I view that as a good thing, as it will bring the problem to the surface so it can be dealt with. To say it makes you schitzo? There is no evidence to support that in any study I have read. They may make that conclusion, some really want it to be true, but hey, that does not mean much.

3. On Norml's daily audio stash, they had an interview (have forgotten the name of the doctor by now) but the segment was about how those who were predisposed to develop schitzophrenia who smoked marijuana. The doctor brought up points to saying that smoking marijuana in the younger years actually helped the said person later in life, that they were able to deal with the problems much better (i believe it included other illnesses as well)

....i really wish i could remember more about it :(

4. oh boy, it just makes another point that we all are discussing this when this was right there in the first paragraph.

5. Haha my parents magneted that article to my fridge this morning. They even highlighted the key facts.

6. Go on the NORML website and print out the true facts about marijuana and paste it right over it. They will shit their pants

7. I believe results from experiments that get published in peer-reviewed journals.

NIDA, the DEA, and pretty much any US Gov't drug related organization are headed by people who are so brainwashed themselves, they continue the cycle of brainwashing the next generation (either that, or they just dont care about anything except their salary)

I know I'm talking a lot about the US, but right now our gov't is so influential (although thankfully it has discredited itsself over the past century of douchbaggery) in the world. The US is the reason why every other country has anti-MJ laws (other then countries where its in their culture not to endulge in intoxicants)

8. haha that's great :hello:

9. i know government most research is bullshit, but you cant dismiss all of it. They draw the same results as everyone else but skew them to their liking.. like 420 stoner already pointed out. although a small one, This is still an increase and you have way of knowing you genes or a complete history of your familys mental health, therefor you must assume this risk applies to you.

its rare, but i assure you cannabis induced pyschosis exists

10. I got studies too.... \t\t\t \t\t\t<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> \t\t\t \t\t \t\t \t\t \t\tSymptoms of schizotypy precede cannabis use.
    \tUKCIA forum :: Research :: Symptoms of schizotypy precede cannabis use.

\tCannabidiol as an antipsychotic\t Clinical Studies and Case Reports

Cannabis does not induce schizophrenia,
    \tCannabis does not induce schizophrenia, Dutch scientists say

\tCannabis use does not cause schizophrenia\tCannabis use does not cause schizophrenia

11. yea no shit, its not gonna make a perfectly "normal" person go crazy, but if you have a genetic predisposition to having some sort of mental illness (it could happen even if you dont smoke bud) then yea its gonna up the risk, same thing with just about every other drug to

edit: i find it amusing how so many people on here are so quick to talk shit about a study that states negative effects from marijuana.

but nobody ever doubts how accurate the positive ones are, like that smoking weed prevents cancer, you only believe what you wanna believe

12. I've said it a thousand times:

Real science is found in scientific peer-reviewed journals and other peer-reviewed publications.

Pseudoscience is found in the government. You can't ask me to believe what they have to say 5 minutes after I watch a reefer-madness style propaganda ad on the television.

I refuse to believe any 'conclusive scientific evidence' unless I see the actual publication.

I'm not picking and choosing what I want to believe, I just know what a credible source is.

13. its all about the dopamine in ur system...you keep smokin you keep fuckin up your dopamine...especially if you do other drugs that effect dopamine like coke or H then youll really fuck that up...so if you damage all your dopamine and prevent the uptake of it then you can go nuts

14. i completely agree ghandi

also do any of u actually know anyone who has gone crazy because they smoked pot? i dont

15. Like everything you say, right? I'm just fuckin around, but kinda trying to make a point. That response was kinda uncalled for - especially seeing as how you didn't post any sources. Every study I've ever read on this subject (and there were numerous ones) has suggested this, so if I'm wrong, I'd like to see some sources....

That YOU have read... I've read several that say it heightens your risk of developing it. But again, this is just on shit I've personally read, so if you've read otherwise, I'd like to see it if ya don't mind :D Not trying to debate or anything, I just want the correct information...

Great point :D

I'm gonna read these as soon as I get some spare time :D Thanks for actually posting links to back up your claim that it doesn't happen...

16. I've always found this one the most disturbing of all the anti-MJ arguments, as this one seems to be one of the ones that could be true.
    This has been something thats been debated for quite a while actually, and I'm still not quite sure where I stand on it. I suppose I dont hold enough knowlege to be able to conduct any of it myself, so like most things I've just got to rely on the words of others.

An issue with studies like this, is the fact that correlation doesnt nessecarily point to causation.. they find people with schitzophrenia tend to be marijuana users, but whether the marijuana caused their schitzophrenia, or whether schitzophrenics are just more likely to use marijuana is unknown.

However keep in mind... that as stoners we spend our lives fighting for people to be more open minded, and remember that not everything anti-marijuana is propaganda, approach everything you hear with an open mind =)