Marijuana may hike risk of psychosis, research finds... <-- WTF!

Discussion in 'General' started by Still Smokin, Jul 27, 2007.

1. I cant even comment on this right now, im so pissed off that this bullshit even made the news. You gotta be kidding me...

Pot may hike risk of psychosis, study suggests

Even limited use could up chance of serious mental illness by 40 percent
    The Associated Press
    Updated: 6:59 p.m. ET July 26, 2007

<SCRIPT language=javascript>\t\tfunction UpdateTimeStamp(pdt) {\t\t\tvar n = document.getElementById("udtD");\t\t\tif(pdt != '' && n && window.DateTime) {\t\t\t\tvar dt = new DateTime();\t\t\t\tpdt = dt.T2D(pdt);\t\t\t\tif(dt.GetTZ(pdt)) {n.innerHTML = dt.D2S(pdt,(('false'.toLowerCase()=='false')?false:true));}\t\t\t}\t\t}\t\tUpdateTimeStamp('633210875873670000');</SCRIPT>

LONDON - Using marijuana seems to increase the chance of becoming psychotic, researchers report in an analysis of past research that reignites the issue of whether pot is dangerous.
    The new review suggests that even infrequent use could raise the small but real risk of this serious mental illness by 40 percent.
    Doctors have long suspected a connection and say the latest findings underline the need to highlight marijuana's long-term risks. The research, paid for by the British Health Department, is being published Friday in the medical journal The Lancet.
    “The available evidence now suggests that cannabis is not as harmless as many people think,” said Dr. Stanley Zammit, one of the study's authors and a lecturer in the department of psychological medicine at Cardiff University.
    The researchers said they couldn't prove that marijuana use itself increases the risk of psychosis, a category of several disorders with schizophrenia being the most commonly known.
    There could be something else about marijuana users, “like their tendency to use other drugs or certain personality traits, that could be causing the psychoses,” Zammit said.
    Thousands tracked
    Marijuana is the most frequently used illegal substance in many countries, including the United Kingdom and the United States. About 20 percent of young adults report using it at least once a week, according to government statistics.
    Zammit and colleagues from the University of Bristol, Imperial College and Cambridge University examined 35 studies that tracked tens of thousands of people for periods ranging from one year to 27 years to examine the effect of marijuana on mental health.
    They looked for psychotic illnesses as well as cognitive disorders including delusions and hallucinations, bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, neuroses and suicidal tendencies.
    They found that people who used marijuana had roughly a 40 percent higher chance of developing a psychotic disorder later in life. The overall risk remains very low.
    For example, Zammit said the risk of developing schizophrenia for most people is less than 1 percent. The prevalence of schizophrenia is believed to be about five in 1,000 people. But because of the drug's wide popularity, the researchers estimate that about 800 new cases of psychosis could be prevented by reducing marijuana use.
    Disturbing outlook
    The scientists found a more disturbing outlook for “heavy users” of pot, those who used it daily or weekly: Their risk for psychosis jumped to a range of 50 percent to 200 percent.
    One doctor noted that people with a history of mental illness in their families could be at higher risk. For them, marijuana use “could unmask the underlying schizophrenia,” said Dr. Deepak Cyril D'Souza, an associate professor of psychiatry at Yale University, who was not involved in the study.
    Dr. Wilson Compton, a senior scientist at the National Institute on Drug Abuse in Washington, called the study persuasive.
    “The strongest case is that there are consistencies across all of the studies,” and that the link was seen only with psychoses - not anxiety, depression or other mental health problems, he said.
    Scientists cannot rule out that pre-existing conditions could have led to both marijuana use and later psychoses, he added.
    Dispel the misconception
    Scientists think it is biologically possible that marijuana could cause psychoses because it interrupts important neurotransmitters such as dopamine. That can interfere with the brain's communication systems.
    Some experts say governments should now work to dispel the misconception that marijuana is a benign drug.

“We've reached the end of the road with these kinds of studies,” said Dr. Robin Murray of King's College, who had no role in the Lancet study. “Experts are now agreed on the connection between cannabis and psychoses. What we need now is for 14-year-olds to know it.”
    In the U.K., the government will soon reconsider how marijuana should be classified in its hierarchy of drugs. In 2004, it was downgraded and penalties for possession were reduced. Many expect marijuana will be bumped up to a class “B” category, with offenses likely to lead to arrests or longer jail sentences.
    Two of the authors of the study were invited experts on the Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs Cannabis Review in 2005. Several authors reported being paid to attend drug company-sponsored meetings related to marijuana, and one received consulting fees from companies that make antipsychotic medications.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    <SCRIPT>var url=location.href;var i=url.indexOf('/did/') + 1;if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('/print/1/') + 1;}if(i==0){i=url.indexOf('&print=1');}if(i>0){url = url.substring(0,i);document.write('URL: '+url+'
    ');if(window.print){window.print()}else{alert('To print his page press Ctrl-P on your keyboard \nor choose print from your browser or device after clicking OK');}}</SCRIPT>

2. i just read that and was gunna post a link until i saw this thread. that article gave me a good laugh, i highly doubt this 'study' was takin effectively.

3. I also read this on WebMD.

But I think they're just trying to make it more scary than it seems.

But think about it, it's like saying, "Sex increases your risk of having an STD by 100%"

4. "Pot may hike risk of psychosis, study suggests"

Not really all that new, I believe this has been one of their bigger arguments for a while now. "If you smoke pot you will go crazy and kill people"

I think there are studies on it that say the chance of developing psychosis from marijuana is only really a risk for children under 22ish and that the chance is so low its laughable.

Can't remember where I'm getting that from though, either way kinda old news.

5. :rolleyes: If anything, weed HELPS with my anxiety, and my eating disorder (hello munchies :p).

Schizophrenia runs in my family, and I've been blazing daily for around 3 years, and I haven't become psychotic or schizophrenic.
    Weed does NOT cause mental illness. If you were going to develop schizophrenia, then you would develop it regardless of whether you toked up a few times or not. Studies like this are RIDICULOUS.

6. *Sigh*

Why to people refuse to believe that there ARE negative side-effects of MJ use??? Yes, smoking increases your risk of developing schitzophrenia, but this is mostly while you're young and your brain is still developing/changing and shit... It can also trigger it in those who are already predisposed to getting it... This has been known since the 80's and is far from new news.

7. I guess Ill be the prick of this thread. We, as potsmokers, have to stop supporting every study that says weed is good and hating on every study that says weed is bad. We are doing the same thing that conservative anti-potsmokers are doing but in reverse. Statistically it has been proven (several times) that mental illness is higher in the marijuana community. They dont know if marijuana causes it or if people with mental illness medicate with marijuana. Either way denying the connection proves your bias.

We need to take the higher road and consider every study even if it is against our position. That is what logical intelligent people do.

8. im fine with the chances, i probably already have had a phscotic episode, fuck it.

Most bud helps my anxiety, tho, i find extreamly high sativa to really bring out the anxiety.

9. you can definatly develop psychosis from pot, it just takes a weak and dependant, or developing mind, like cottons said.

there are downsides to MJ, weather you wanna belive it or not, they become more apparent the longer you smoke.. Not that those downsided are justification for its illegality

10. Theres going to be downsides of everything we put in our bodies in conjunction with not caring properly for ourselves.

11. Use of caps and large bold text is intentional, becuase what I have to say is the absolute truth:

NO STUDIES, SURVEYS, OR EXPERIMENTS DONE WITH MARIJUANA ARE SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE. IT IS ILLEGAL, AND USE OF IT FOR EXPERIMENTS IS IMPOSSIBLE. FURTHERMORE, THE ONE CROP THE US GOVERNMENT MAINTAINS FOR ITS FEDERAL MEDICAL MARIJUANA PROGRAM AND 'EXPERIMENTATION' ARE POORLY USED... THE GOVERNMENT DOES NOT USE BUD FOR ITS EXPERIMENTS, IT USES STEMS, LEAVES, AND SEEDS. ANY STUDIES , SURVEYS, OR EXPERIMENTS DONE BY THE GOVERNMENT CAN NOT BE TRUSTED, AND THE ONLY ACCURATE SCIENTIFIC ENDEAVORS ARE DONE BY PRIVATE OR STATE UNIVERSITIES.

Read it again more carefully:

Normal, mentally stable people with no history of psychosis or history of it in their family are safe.

Please refraind from posting in bolded, huge, all caps text. It's against the rules here, and is hard on the eyes. Thank you. IGTC

12. so the studies you agree with are inaccurate too then? Do you know this for a fact or did you hear it from other people who wont belive theres anything wring with it? proof?

and obviously people whith family history are more prone to it.. Reguardless of MJ use, it can just act as a trigger. I agree cannabis psychosis is relativly rare, and usually occours in more prone or younger users, but it exists and studies saying it does are legit, not matter how bias the writer (which isnt the scientific way btw) no REPUTABLE scientist would purposly skew results

13. well duh.

you should look out for this too.. http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

14. The one factor this study fails to address is whether the association occurs as a result of pre-disposition, or if it is post facto. Are these perhaps, people with mental conditions that cause them to seek out marijuana, rather than the condition being caused by the marijuana itself? were the subjects kept away from all other substances, and if not, how can this association be anything more than circumstantial innuendo?

This study is not even worthy of a seventh grade science report. Simply put, bad science= no scientific conclusion.

15. Duh? im just promoting my who gives a fuck attitude. so many things we take everyday are worse.

Hell, any diet drinks... you can develop 1000's of ailments from just Aspertame. Cans heating up past like 80 degrees i think, cuases the aspertame to break down into an even more dangerous compound.

16. Marijuana has negative effects.
    Cigarettes have negative effects.
    Alcohol has negative effects.

17. o i know. I wasnt trying to attack you in any way there.. Just, well yea.. everything has some negative effects, no reason to get all worked up over the little ones

18. well, see here's the ugly truth about experiments...

they can be demonstrated in such a way that it appears to favor one way when it should be the opposite...

phillip morris in their studies, when they knew tobacco caused cancer, they just used a really high confidence level in their statistics so it looked like it was relatively harmless...

and their could be confounding factors. For instance marijuana users tend to be certain types of ppl, it's in your genes, some ppl naturally are risk takers and so on...
    ....and these types of ppl probably are also more likely to develop or have undiagnosed schitzophrenia.

Also it says it increases the risk, 50 to 200 percent so that's a pretty big range, ya know, not very accurate statistics...imo;)

I am very picky about what statistics I accept as 'the truth' and I leave the rest in my 'maybe pile'...

edit: "The prevalence of schizophrenia is believed to be about five in 1,000 people. But because of the drug’s wide popularity, the researchers estimate that about 800 new cases of psychosis could be prevented by reducing marijuana use."

It says 5/1000 ppl have schizo...and 800 new cases could have been prevented...

what does that mean...800 cases in the UK?...wtf, that is so ambiguous. Either way your risk of developing schizo is pretty low...

19. Well it says that the original risk is 0.5% to the average person, and weed increases it by 40%. 0.5*0.4=0.2. 0.5+0.2=possible increase from 0.5% to 0.7% :rolleyes:

20. I think you're forgetting that the US isn't the only country on this planet capable of doing scientific research. In countries with more relaxed MJ laws, studies are done constantly, and are actually very reliable... So I think you should keep that in mind before trying to inform everyone here that they're wrong...

And just FYI, there have been several studies done since the 80's (through present day) that have ALL showed the SAME conclusion. MJ usaged increases your risk of developing schitzophrenia (if even by a small amount). It occurs mainly in people with develiping minds, or those who are predisposed to developing the illness (in which case it acks more as a trigger), than in people with healthy minds... BUT the risk goes up for everyone, nonetheless.

Grasscity Deals Near You