Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana lessens the damage binge drinking does to your brain:

Discussion in 'Medical Marijuana Usage and Applications' started by Synned, Aug 22, 2009.

1. #1 Synned, Aug 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
    Wow, this is fucking ridiculous. It's not even ironic anymore, its moronic. The laws NEED TO CHANGE.

Marijuana is said to cause cancer and brain damage.

Cigarettes causes lung cancer, while marijuana lessens the effect.
    Alcohol causes brain damage, while marijuana lessens the effect.

Marijuana does not cause either cancer OR brain damage.

HealthDay
    Study found those who also smoked showed less damage to brain's white matter

FRIDAY, Aug. 21 (HealthDay News) -- Marijuana may buffer the brain against the damages of binge drinking, a new study suggests.

Researchers from the University of California, San Diego, used high-tech scans to compare microscopic changes in brain white matter in teens aged 16 to 19 who were divided into three groups: binge drinkers (boys who consume five or more drinks at one sitting, and girls who have four or more drinks); binge drinkers who also smoked marijuana; and a control group with little or no experience with either alcohol or drugs.

As expected, the binge drinkers showed signs of white matter damage in all eight brain regions examined by the researchers. But the binge drinkers/marijuana users had less damage in seven out of the eight brain regions than the binge drinkers did. And compared to the control group, the binge drinkers/marijuana users had more white matter damage in only three regions.

The researchers wrote that brain white matter tracts were "more coherent in adolescents who binge drink and use marijuana than in adolescents who report only binge drinking." They said it's "possible that marijuana may have some neuroprotective properties in mitigating alcohol-related oxidative stress or excitotoxic cell death."

The study appears in the current issue of the journal Neurotoxicology and Teratology.

"This study suggests that not only is marijuana safer than alcohol, it may actually protect against some of the damage that booze causes," Steve Fox, director of state campaigns for the Marijuana Policy Project, said in a news release from the project.

"It's far better for teens not to drink or smoke marijuana, but our nation's leaders send a dangerous message by defending laws that encourage the use of alcohol over marijuana," he added.

More information

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more about binge drinking.

2. A seemingly legitimate study showing that it's better to get crunk than just drunk?? Fucking epic!!

The more research I read on weed the more it saddens me that it's medical benefits aren't being researched and applied to their fullest extent.

3. Crunk > drunk.

How interesting of a study, it won't matter like all the other one's that go down the drain...

4. yea the info and proof is all there ppl just don't want to listen.

5. Hockeyman, when I started using cannabis medically, there wasn't even the CONCEPT of medical marijuana. :eek: We were all just "druggies". Me, finding relief from my migraines, Richard in his 40s, with aches from an accident. Joey cutting down on the addictive pharmaceuticals he needed for epilepsy... We were just "druggies". :(

Now, 40+ years later, 1/4 of the states have MMJ! Another 1/4 are considering it. I am protected against state prosecution and I'm too small of a fish for the DEA (I "legally" grow for just my hubby and me). Not perfect by a long shot, but a heck of a lot better than 20 to life for a single joint! (Yes, that used to happen! :eek: )

The change came, in part, from those medical studies that you believe are "down the drain" and a lot of work from some of us. Do you ever go to CannabisNews? It's run by a lady in Ohio. CNews is one of my first stops every morning. :D Good place to start the day!

Synned, thank you for posting that! Here is the study-

White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking.
    Unbound MEDLINE | White Matter Integrity in Adolescents with Histories of Marijuana Use and Binge Drinking. Journal article

And another one that is similar-

Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity
    Comparison of Cannabidiol, Antioxidants, and Diuretics in Reversing Binge Ethanol-Induced Neurotoxicity -- Hamelink et al. 314 (2): 780 -- Journal of Pharmacology And Experimental Therapeutics

And Synned, have you gotten your free copy of my list yet? (If you haven't seen it, it's linked in my sig- take a peek) The "White matter" study isn't in there yet, but it will be added next update. Here's where you go to get your copy of my list-

Absolutely Free! Granny Storm Crow's list! - GreenPassion.org - Dedicated to Medicinal Cannabis Cultivation and Education.

Just tell us if you want it in WORD or PDF and we will send it to you free. I hope to hear from you soon! And please share it with your friends- the more we educate, the closer we are to legalization!

Granny :wave:

6. God damn Crow that is one hell of a list! Seeing that list really makes me want to become more active in pushing for the legalization of medical marijuana here in Illinois.

7. Maimuta, so get your arse in gear and get the list to send to your friends! I have put in hundreds of hours getting the list together, you can spend a few minutes to spread the knowledge! Got an idiot politician? Send him a study EVERY day! Got someone who claims cannabis causes cancer? SHOW them the proof that it stops cancer! Become the activist you can be! Do me proud! :hello:

Or are you happy with the way things are right now? :(

Granny :wave:

8. Now I will laugh even harder when I offer a joint to a drinking friend and they say 'nah man I don't want to kill my brain cells':p

9. I hope they corrected for the fact that people drinking and smoking probably drink less because they're also feelin the weed (didn't read the study). But either way, it still proves that it's safer to drink and smoke than to just drink. I love doing both so this i good news.

10. It's far better for teens not to drink or smoke marijuana, but our nation's leaders send a dangerous message by defending laws that encourage the use of alcohol over marijuana," he added., no shit. our country is just full of too many retards thats why