Marijuana legalization

Discussion in 'Politics' started by skinny_bones, Jan 5, 2014.

1. For all of you people who are more into politics, what do you think about recreational use of marijuana being legalized? Do you think it's gonna happen soon with Colorado and Washington already starting it?

2. :smoking:  Pulling up a chair... :smoke:

3. In Portland, Maine it is legal for recreational use. Now i don't think they'll be many states to go recreational this year but i do believe it will be federally legalized all the way by 2020

4. Legalizing marijuana will cause the end of our society, what we need to be doing is making more things  illegal like cigarettes soda, fast food, bad breath and cauliflower because fuck cauliflower. 

5. when washington makes it legal for someone to grow weed in their home for personal use and not forced to buy weed from a store at a 27.9% tax, then i'll believe it's legal.

6. #6 goober0331, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2014
    Everytime this thread shows up I say the same thing.

I dont like the idea of letting an authority figure (illegitimate at that) being able to tell you when you can and cannot do things, and what to do with your bodies, or at their leisure arresting people and incarcerating them.

Let people do what they want as long as there is no violence, which realistically wont happen unless the state has its huge influence almost entirely removed.

So I dont like legalization or illegalization (is that a word?). The government shouldnt be telling me what I can or cannot do with some vegetation in my pockets or on my property.

7.  it going to happen if the government will make money from it. :smoke:

8. I kind of don't want it to be totally legalized, because then it will lose the sense of community it creates. It will be just like alcohol.

what kind of community does illegal weed create?

10. [quote name="АugustWest" post="19284551" timestamp="1388936183"]what kind of community does illegal weed create?[/quote]I just feel like it won't be as tight-knit and close as it is now, because it'll start getting commercialized. I'm probably not making sense since i smoked a bowl before I even got out of bed. Lol.

You are 100% correct...you make no sense...

12. [quote name="cball" post="19284839" timestamp="1388940464"]You are 100% correct...you make no sense...[/quote]Like, people won't bond over it the way they do now if it's as commercialized as alcohol. Or something.

13. I'd rather not get kidnapped and thrown in a cage. And there will definitely always be a marijuana community it will just grow bigger. 

14. I miss imported weed and hash, I hope that it returns to the U.S. someday, this time legally.

15. Commercialization could lessen some of the romantic appeal, but it beats the kinda romance you'd get in jail.

16. We all know when the various taxing entities see the amount of money weed brings in, and the little impact it has on society(refer madness wise)they'll all be jumping on the band wagon...not to mention the votes pro weed politicians will be able to get....

17. #17 tflga, Jan 5, 2014
    A lot of responders in the area that know the prices + taxes going into the state sold cannabis don't mind it (according to them) it can be the close to the same price they were paying before (depending on where they live etc) 

also just the notion that it is "legal" 

18.      Nationwide marijuana legalization will depend on the percentage of Colorado's population that use marijuana, how much they use, and if there's an increase or decrease in crime in Colorado this year.  Colorado already underestimated the amount of marijuana that it's citizens would buy,  and since recreational use is now legalized there, it's citizens will be more willing to admit use since its not a crime, thus giving other state-legislators a general idea of how popular marijuana is, and how much tax-money they can get from the legalization.
       But ultimately, if there's an increase in crime,  I highly doubt that the state legislators will be able to look past that for the tax money

19. #19 CoLoKiD, Jan 5, 2014
    I agree, however we didn't underestimate how much demand there would be. They didn't allow Licensed grow facilities to even start growing for recreational marijuana until 1-2 weeks before doors opened for retail sale. Under Colorado laws dispensaries are only allowed to outsource 30% of there inventory and have to supply 70% of there own weed. And general public is Not allowed to sell to them.

This being said......in a few months when the first harvests start becoming available, and the amount of dispensaries double, maybe even triple that are open to the general public, prices will slowly drop and the demand will decrease.

Among the medical facilities they were/are offering coupons for $150 ounces because they were trying to lure in traffic. They even used to have sign throwers/spinners on every corner before they outlawed that.

The only crime that will change is from the out of state traffic we see from all of this. The instate use will see very little change IMO.

I've lived here since 1990 and there has never been a shortage of weed. Colorado has always been a very green state. And I haven't lost a single "friend" to recreational weed:)

20. You must be a sativa or hybrid kind of guy. All the best shit world wide is coming out of CA\\CO with WA trying. If you check seed banks and genetics from the Amsterdam shops all the medical\\narcotic strains originating in western USA are the top dogs(indica monstly) Trainwreck is one of the only pure sativa that I know originated in CA.

Some imported hash would be nice though. I have always wanted to try the Afgani hash(real shit, not just in name)