Marijuana Legalization reaches Capitol Hill

Discussion in 'General' started by agent0064life, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Well, maybe not the capital itself, but it made it to The Hill Blog, which is actually read by many, many politicians and higher ups.

http://blog.thehill.com/2008/12/15/legalizing-marijuana-tops-obama-online-poll/

2. Our day may be closer than we all thought.

3. Woot!!!! I hope that these politicians get their heads out of their asses.

At the very least.... NO MORE ARRESTING CANCER PATIENTS FOR USING MEDICAL MARIJUANA!!

4. I want my bud, acid, and shrooms. AND I WANT THEM AT MY CORNER 7-11!

5. Take it easy man, MJ legalization would be a huge step...lets not push for those just yet :p

6. Please don't make that the subject of question to ask a politician, because they can easily say (as obama already has) "We will not raid medical marijuana patients" because in reality they don't. The ONLY way to go is full on legalization, otherwise you are supporting the gangs and such.

7. finally a small step in the right direction

8. This would make senior year even better

9. Believe me, i always post my questions as full on legalization :)

10. So do I. Nothing else makes sense.

Even in Amsterdam where it's quasi-legal to buy small amounts from the coffeeshops, it's still illegal to supply them. That makes no sense at all. The coffeeshop owners obviously don't click their heels together and make the weed appear! Until they legalize suppliers of the coffeeshops they'll be supporting organized crime and the black market.

11. We all should make a comment to that article supporting legalization of marijuana and an end to the federal marijuana prohibition!

12. It´s good that the #1 question was about legalization. But remember that the transition team only has to answer the question.

They can just say "No"...which would suck and get a shitload of people pissed off. Maybe pissed off enough to do something? :confused:

13. They said that he is not in favor of legalization...and ignored everything else about jobs and money, etc.

Typical.

14. Yeah, I just read the other thread about it.

At least they know what´s on people´s minds now.

Still sucks...

15. #15 Reflection Eternal, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    Edited

I see. Predictably lame. This isn't the end of this quasi-discussion.

16. Simple as this.

Decrim makes it so they are supporting non-taxed dealers while legalization would give them a taxed income.

We're in debt. Taxes > Debt. Simple math here. I don't get why they don't see this.

17. I hope Obama does something.. but I'm skeptical if he will really.

He already said he's going to focus more on fixing the economy.
    (which I find to be a bad excuse if he chooses to ignore the idea of legalization)

Since, of course, we could pull in an insane amount of money from cropping hemp and weed

If it goes to shit, I blame the economy distracting politicians from the legalization issue.

18. #18 the color green, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2008
    http://change.gov/newsroom/entry/open_for_questions_response/

Q: "Will you consider legalizing marijuana so that the government can regulate it, tax it, put age limits on it, and create millions of new jobs and create a billion dollar industry right here in the U.S.?" S. Man, Denton

A: President-elect Obama is not in favor of the legalization of marijuana.

Just because politicians are listening, doesn't mean they give a fuck.

I appreciate that the administration answered it straight up, but you'd think that for the most frequently asked question, they would have a more detailed, reasonable response. Not much "change" going on at Change.gov; Barack Obama clearly has his agenda despite allowing people to ask questions to which there has been an answer for the past two years.

19. If the economy goes to shit and they don't do anything...It's like running out of gas and not using the gas station that is two feet in front of your car with the gas already paid for.

20. True that, but look how much natural gas reserves we have that aren't tapped
    (I think obama is thinking of tapping them, not 100% sure)
    And the fact that hemp can be made into biofeul.

Big oil companies pay for lobbyist and all that shit, that's why a lot of this stuff is hard to get politicians questioning what we can and can't do. If its going to take profits away from oil and tobacco companies its going to be basically a war between honest citizens and corrupt corporations.