Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana: is it a drug?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by deadheadparker, Sep 3, 2012.

1. In my years of being around cannabis I have seen many opinions on it, many of them not so good. This is a question I have seen many cannabis users disagree on. Do you consider marijuana a drug?

2. Hell yeah its a drug.

3. Nothing like drugs people usually compare it to

4. Yeah, I'd say so too. I wonder if many people here on grasscity would say it's not.

5. If you go off the definition of a drug, then yes. It alters the conscience/state of mind. But when compared to other drugs it stands alone. By being grown, no extra steps in processing such as with chemicals etc. It's not man made like alot of drugs. Its natural, more along the lines of an herb imo.

6. [quote name='"slingy"']If you go off the definition of a drug, then yes. It alters the conscience/state of mind. But when compared to other drugs it stands alone. By being grown, no extra steps in processing such as with chemicals etc. It's not man made like alot of drugs. Its natural, more along the lines of an herb imo.[/quote]

Cocaine, shrooms, opium and morphine are natural and not drugs by that logic.

7. drug-

Anyone who says weed isn't a drug is extremely thick.

8. #9 Magical Wizard, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
    Those are chemical extracts, extremely addictive and possible to die of an overdose.
    but I know that weed, by definition is a drug. Just cannot be compared to any other substances people often compare it to.

9. Guys, if you even MENTION another drug you run the risk of infractions.

10. It's not the way I refer to it personally, though I do understand that by "definition" it is.
    ...That's not to say that the definition doesn't need an update though...I mean, it's like calling cola a type of acid.

11. Yes. So is sugar, coffee, nutmeg, etc.

12. ..Cola IS an acid though..

13. Nope.
    Cola (or kola), is a nut.
    The drink contains quantity of certain acids, though it is not one.

14. Okay well I had assumed you meant the drink, which has a ph average of around 3, making it an acid.

Obviously a nut isn't an acid...why would you even say that if you meant the nut? :confused_2:

15. #16 PresidentObama, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2012
    I'm not gonna jump on the bandwagon. that everyone is saying its a drug. But i'm saying no. its not a drug. it has characteristics of a drug. but i do not think you can ever put heroin and weed in the same box...that's why it's still illegal. kinda like saying a dolphin is a fish... whoa wait, hold up. they both swim. they both have fins. they both need water to live. but wait somethings a little different. oh a dolphin is not a fish because it breaths air and it doesn't lay eggs. see something can share traits of something else but be in a completely different box. so i say no on the drug thing. (people got to see it as not a drug for it ever to become legal :p )...

and here come the hate responses lol

16. Yes it's a drug, it effects your mind like a drug do therefore it's a drug. But it's not like most other unmentionables, just look at it like I do. Cannabis is a drug but so is alcohol, however I'd rather be putting smoke in my lungs and THC in my body than fucking my liver up.

17. [quote name='"Magical Wizard"']

Those are chemical extracts, extremely addictive and possible to die of an overdose.
    but I know that weed, by definition is a drug. Just cannot be compared to any other substances people often compare it to.[/quote]

They're not chemical extracts though. They're chemical extracts in the same way that hash oil is.

18. Yes and no. Yes because when you smoke it, it alters your mind and intoxicates you. No because it is just a natural plant that grows. It was never a drug until man started igniting it and setting it fire and when later on, it was put in the same category as actual drugs. Technically cannabis is a flower. Also, by most peoples definitions, caffeine, sugar, alcohol, nicotine and TV are not drugs. If that is a case then cannabis certainly doesnt deserve to be labelled a drug (which generally has a negative meaning)

19. To me, it is not a drug. I understand that by the definition of a 'drug' it could be appropriately categorized as a drug, but in my honest opinion it should not be so. To me the term 'drug' implies negative connotations that are not fair to our beloved plant. I recently quit one of my prescribed anti-depressant medications, cold turkey. The withdrawals I experienced were absolutely horrendous, not to mention there were almost no upsides to the drug while I was on it. From now on, anything as detrimental as this was I consider a drug, legal or not. Marijuana does not fall into that category.