Marijuana IS a drug

Discussion in 'General' started by Dannyboyx8wire, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. No one here has claimed (I believe) that cannabinoids are not drugs, they are indeed chemicals, very similar to the endocannabinoids produced within your body. :)

However your friend could abuse video games in the same way... I've seen it happen with my own eyes. And they're not even a drug :)
    But video games, along with anything you develop an attachment to, do cause chemical reactions within your body... what I mean to say, is that if a person has mental issues, dependency issues, or any other hang-ups, these issues are just as likely to manifest and become exaggerated when that person abuses anything, whether it's the sensation he gets from certain foods, certain drugs, or even the chemicals released within his very own body, after certain interactions. Yes, you can abuse yourself and your own hormonal-chemical releases.

Some people get unhealthy satisfaction from being timid, some people 'get off' on being abused, some people feel they can't exist, without the rush they get from feeling violent.

In 99 out of 100 people who use cannabis however, probably more, they will not develop these types of irresponsible dependency issues.

A person who is not generally prone to instability or addiction, is more likely to develop problems with the caffeine in coffee, and the 'natural stimulants' in energy drinks, than they are with cannabis. That much has been proven, even grudgingly, by institutes while trying to discredit the value of cannabis.

Your friend has serious problems, or he could be in the early stages of developing serious problems, and he very likely has a few self-worth/value issues considering his hygiene, and the general lack of interest in both himself, and those around him.

He needs to either seek help, or he just needs to grow up. His behavior is sad, and it's going to be tough, either way. :(

But in the end, you don't need to validate the fact cannabis has chemicals, just because your friend has issues. :p

Roses have chemicals too, and without even needing to 'abuse' them, different people have devoted their entire lives to roses and their study in ways that affected their psychology and their social lives in both healthy, and socially-unhealthy ways.
    A 'problem' is defined by the person, not the substance, and there are other more seemingly-harmless substances that are much more likely to trigger a negative reaction, in other-wise healthy people.

It's all in how you deal with, and react to your surroundings... if someone can't handle a little herb, or a few video games, they shouldn't be mocked, ridiculed or shamed, or isolated further... they should be helped.
    And that help shouldn't focus entirely around their 'addiction', not so much as it should focus on their their feelings, on what they are really avoiding, or what's really getting at them.

Hope this helps. :)

2. Yes, 25 seconds into that thread and I decided to create one that would hopefully attract an intellectual discussion and not a bunch of blades bashing each other. I didn't feel like bumping some old thread no one would read, and certainly didn't feel like wasting time in the thread you linked. People who smoke tree claim to be calm, so I'm amazed that you can be such an asshole (which I hate to say, but your condescending tone just shines through the way you type). We get it, you're smug, angry, and obviously too good for this thread. So get out of it. If you want to complain, go do it on a thread telling a joke in Apprentice Tokers, or someone asking how he can tell if his weed is laced with cocaine in Seasoned Tokers. I appreciate how bad ass you are, truly, but if you could be awesome somewhere else,we'd greatly appreciate it.

3. To add to what I just said to moosics or whatever the hell his name was, this guy knows why I started my own thread.

Now to actually reply to you, I don't blame the herb for his actions, I blame him for misusing the herb.

4. I did read everything you had to say about addiction, and found it to be interesting information. I'm replying to this part to clarify that I was just using him as an example for the potential this drug has for abuse (more or less to further explain my opinion of WHY I believe it is a drug), and that this thread is not about his problems (an interesting subject it may be on it's own). Having been addicted to different meds before I feel as if the only person who can help addicts is themselves. The most someone can do is point out the problem to the person in question, but most times they're stubborn or in denial and won't hear it. The addiction turns them into a child, making them egocentric, and eliminates the ability to think about thinking (the proper term for this definition slipped my mind), a skill that is required for development into adulthood.

5. Although I enjoyed the description of your friend and how weed has effected him after chronically smoking, it's nothing that couldn't be posted in any number of the existing threads. This idea that this is some how a thread for intellectuals and the other was not is baseless and frankly a stupid justification.

You frown on my "useless" post, and some how you justify to yourself that your own post is not useless... Hmm... Wonder if there's any bias there ;)

Oh look, you're already resulting to ad hominids! All it takes it calling you out on the truth and you get so defensive :rolleyes:

You picked up on the condescension? I thought that was over your head! I don't give you enough credit OP.

Look man, I was going to leave it at, "not another one of these threads," to give you a hint that this is a duplicate and to use the search button next time. That's pretty obvious, but for some reason you decided to call me out on it, thus resulting in what you have read. You have effectively brought me shitting on your thread upon yourself.

You think I'm a bad ass? I'm flattered, really. Aw shucks I'm blushing. I most certainly will take my awesome elsewhere, just like I intended. Don't forget to use the search button next time ;):wave:

6. Your mates problems are his problems, you cant attribute them to weed, just consider yourself lucky he found weed and not smack or alchol.

7. I said I created this thread in hopes of attracting more intellectuals, with pretty much the same probability I have when I'm out fishing. If you hadn't noticed the thread you linked as soon as it started it all "YEAH but you don't fucking blah blah in a lab, fuck this, fuck that." It's saddening how people reply to being "called out" without acknowledging anything the other person has said. I said I chose not to post this in an old thread that wouldn't ever be noticed, and have already stated why I didn't use the link you posted. No, you were not obvious it what you were trying to get across at all. "not another one of these threads..." comes off as "I don't like these discussions," (even though it truly shouldn't, but with the abundance of trolls and children that have taken over GC [Something I clearly stated I was afraid of when starting this thread] things just come off like that). It's okay though, I can be empathetic, I used to think sarcasm made me cool too. All you had to do was say something actually involving the search bar, and I would have acknowledged it and explained myself (I bet you would have listened and thought about my explanation too, because I can tell you're capable of a civilized discussion, but since you're "defensive" [because I stated the truth, as you would say /sarcasm, as if my point of you not stating the truth isn't clear enough] you don't listen, you just try and make sure everyone knows you're "right." I'm trying to talk to you like a person, but if you just want to prove how edgy and sarcastic you are that's cool. No one else has a problem with this thread.

8. I stated before I didn't blame the weed, I blamed his misuse of the drug. I almost feel as if he was into smack he'd be better off. At least smack makes you somewhat sociable and gets you out of the house, and he couldn't say "SMACK ISN'T A DRUG, IT'S A PLANT," and then he might realize he has a problem.

No, I do not actually think he should be doing smack.

9. #29 m00zix, Nov 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2011
    (1) Allow me to finish that sentence for you: "with pretty much the same probability if I was to post in the thread you had linked."

(2) What you're saying is you're an attention whore and demand someone reads the insightful and groundbreaking information you have to offer on this topic that has been beaten to death?

(3) Perhaps if you had used your cognitive skills for two seconds longer you could have fathomed reason behind the post other than, "oh, he's an asshole." But alas, that was your go-to logic.

(4) Cool man. To further clarify, my initial post had zero sarcastic tone. As I said, it was to drop a hint to use the search button next time.

(5) And all you had to do was post your "story" in one of the many existing threads, but neither of us did what we had to. Now did we?

(6) Hey, now you're getting the hang of it!

(7) Do not be mistaken, I most certainly listened to what you had to say and responded to it accordingly. I was far too lazy to do this number pairing, but I see it will be necessary with you.

(8) The only problem I have is that it is a duplicate thread and that is frowned upon/against the rules. Just as you frowned upon my initial post for it infringing on the rules, I am returning the favor (albeit that was my original intention, therefore you were just returning the favor, but this brings my back to my aforementioned point of you bringing me shitting on your thread upon yourself.)

Nice day for weather.

10. Smart man. :) Of all the substances the friend in question could have picked to hide his problems behind, cannabis is one of the least damaging. :p

Again, cannabis is very clearly not the issue with this fellow. These problems would have become more, and more evident, regardless what vice he picked, even if it was a seemingly healthy one, and very probably even if he didn't pick up a vice at all.

In case you couldn't tell, we have a few drs, psychologists and neurologists in the family. :D
    We actually use cannabis during some patients sessions as part of our neurotherapy treatment... it is worth noting that cannabis is also effective in treating some cases of substance abuse. :)

This friend has issues, that simply do not consistently coincide with even heavier cannabis use. I know plenty of healthy, productive, active, and perfectly social people who smoke very frequently, far more than this fellow probably could ever dream of affording.

He is exhibiting unique symptoms, which are more closely related to depression, depersonalization and despair, that are not consistent with the over-use of the substance alone. A person with these kind of psychological problems, has the potential to abuse anything he sets his mind on. When someone treats an individuals unique behavior in conjunction with cannabis abuse, or any other equally tame substance (which would be difficult, where it is one of the most-tame substances known to mankind), as though it is on-par with even mild cases of crack abuse, something is very seriously wrong with the person exhibiting the behavior.
    But it is also common to judge and to over-exaggerate our friends issues, especially when we feel that we can relate or that we've been through the same, or similar. When a person has had their own problems with substance in the past, it is easy to overlap your emotions with your friends current disposition, or to create similarities. Most people have felt some degree of depression or have been in some form of slump, and if you put off correcting it, those feelings and your sense of well-being can definitely spiral out of control, and some people will begin abusing whatever they can afford, or get their hands on... and sometimes, they'll just abuse whatever they are comfortable with.

So like Sherak said, just be glad (or hope that) he hasn't stumbled on to something much worse, and try to be a little supportive... yes, people with addictive personalities, anxiety, and social disorders eventually have to 'do it for themselves' and it can often amount to an almost conscious decision they need to make on their own.
    But their friends and loved ones also need to accept these people have a problem, or problems, and rather than dealing with it negatively or in a way that would be counter-productive, it's best to deal with it by trying to get him off his ass, and out of the house once in a while... help him re-arrange his furniture, get him interested in a new diet (not for weight-loss, but for a different array of nutrition)... simple things like this, reminding them there's something beyond their bad habits, and giving them something to live for beyond their self-abuse and psychological distress, can help these people come to their senses much more quickly than being repetitive and overly negative :)

11. Smart man. [​IMG] Of all the substances the friend in question could have picked to hide his problems behind, cannabis is one of the least damaging. [​IMG]

Again, cannabis is very clearly not the issue with this fellow. These problems would have become more, and more evident, regardless what vice he picked, even if it was a seemingly healthy one, and very probably even if he didn't pick up a vice at all.

In case you couldn't tell, we have a few drs, psychologists and neurologists in the family. [​IMG]
    We actually use cannabis during some patients sessions as part of our neurotherapy treatment... it is worth noting that cannabis is also effective in treating some cases of substance abuse. [​IMG]

This friend has issues, that simply do not consistently coincide with even heavier cannabis use. I know plenty of healthy, productive, active, and perfectly social people who smoke very frequently, far more than this fellow probably could ever dream of affording.

He is exhibiting unique symptoms, which are more closely related to depression, depersonalization and despair, that are not consistent with the over-use of the substance alone. A person with these kind of psychological problems, has the potential to abuse anything he sets his mind on. When someone treats an individuals unique behavior in conjunction with cannabis abuse, or any other equally tame substance (which would be difficult, where it is one of the most-tame substances known to mankind), as though it is on-par with even mild cases of crack abuse, something is very seriously wrong with the person exhibiting the behavior.
    But it is also common to judge and to over-exaggerate our friends issues, especially when we feel that we can relate or that we've been through the same, or similar. When a person has had their own problems with substance in the past, it is easy to overlap your emotions with your friends current disposition, or to create similarities. Most people have felt some degree of depression or have been in some form of slump, and if you put off correcting it, those feelings and your sense of well-being can definitely spiral out of control, and some people will begin abusing whatever they can afford, or get their hands on... and sometimes, they'll just abuse whatever they are comfortable with.

So like Sherak said, just be glad (or hope that) he hasn't stumbled on to something much worse, and try to be a little supportive... yes, people with addictive personalities, anxiety, and social disorders eventually have to 'do it for themselves' and it can often amount to an almost conscious decision they need to make on their own.
    But their friends and loved ones also need to accept these people have a problem, or problems, and rather than dealing with it negatively or in a way that would be counter-productive, it's best to deal with it by trying to get him off his ass, and out of the house once in a while... help him re-arrange his furniture, get him interested in a new diet (not for weight-loss, but for a different array of nutrition)... simple things like this, reminding them there's something beyond their bad habits, and giving them something to live for beyond their self-abuse and psychological distress, can help these people come to their senses much more quickly than being repetitive and overly negative [​IMG]

12. Sounds like he wants to escape the reality of his neurosis, but little does he know marijuana is multiplying his anxieties. He really shouldn't be smoking weed, at least not chronically. Convince him to take a "tolerance break," and that a large amount of the anxieties he is facing will be quickly reduced upon getting over his mild withdrawal symptoms, that way he can face his problems sober (as you said it is best to do this, at least in the context of this guy.) Sorry to hear he's going through a tough time right now, but you're his friend and I think you should try and do your part to at least get him to chill out with the weed.

I would not put this response past other threads of this topic.

13. So why even suggest you almost feel he would be better off with smack at first? :mad:

And your mate may not think 'your' way is the right way, you ever think of that?

14. I gave you entirely too much credit. After all that, you nit pick at a rushed sentence that I typed at 2am, and continued to try subtlety insulting me (although well masked by sarcasm and a decent vocabulary, that is perhaps over worked for GC).

I'm mildly amused; enough to continue.

1. *sigh* I've never felt actual disappointment in a stranger. It makes it a little worse that when I came back for a reply I literally thought to myself you would do something along these lines.

2. No, not really. I could of used the search bar, or I could of bumped an old thread, but I didn't. A number of people still chose this thread (including you, apparently), get over it.

3. I'd love to partake in this intelligence contest, measure our dicks and whatnot, but I haven't sunken that low.

4. Okay fine, I'll stoop to your level for just a moment. Your post had no tone, it was a poorly punctuated sentence that is insulting to the English language. "Let me correct it for you, 'Not another one of these threads!'" (See what I did there? <3)

5. This thread isn't about the story, it was just an example for the possibility of abuse. Most people have grasped this, but I understand some people are slower. (See what I did again? Nothing like a bit of subtle, edgy, sarcastically toned bit of dry humor to boast my impressive debate skills.) As for the haphazard point you're trying to make, touche.

6. I'm not even sure what's going on with this number. Are you awake?

7. Again, I applaud how you manage to insult someone trying to discuss something with you like an adult. I was aware that you responded, but that doesn't mean you listened to a word I said. You just repeated yourself "accordingly," without acknowledging a valid point, because like many ex girlfriends (and me at this point, as I can see nothing registers in your mind) you are here arguing, for the mere sake of arguing.

8. Again, I broke the rules to benefit my own desires, get over it. You do give yourself way too much credit though, since you haven't "shit" on anything. The conversations still took place, and you're just some guy whining in the background. I'm really the only person who was nice enough to acknowledge you, because I feel bad for the less fortunate. (One last witty and intelligent insult, to try and mirror your awesomeness [OH THAT'S TWO! Nothing beats mocking some guy on the internet])

15. I believe the only people who can help addicts are themselves. Convincing him to take a "T break" could prove productive, but there is absolutely no way of getting him to do that, friend or not. He's extremely stubborn, feels that pot is the only way he can deal with things (even if he doesn't deal with them, he just pushes them aside and plays Skyrim), and doesn't hear any outside opinions as they fly out the other ear. It really is on him to figure it out.

16. My friend m00zix taught me that sarcasm is awesome.
    c:

What do you mean, my way? I never said anything about my way of handling things. I just stated I observed him slowly spiral into a depressing state. He could never do things "my way" because we're completely different people, I am who I am because of the way I view things and what I've learned from my experiences. I just think he should recognize his problem, whether I'm right about it being excessive marijuana use or not, and start handling things in a way that doesn't make him suicidal.

17. [​IMG]

Marijuana doesn't exist. It's called Cannabis. Stop perpetuating the norms of the propaganda machine about the fears of 'marijuana addiction', your attitude is like those above the influence commercials and so is your 'friend's situation. Stop focusing on demonizing weed and start focusing on helping your friend transition into adulthood. Does he have a plan for the future? How about some goals for the next year? Maybe he could even use cannabis, if he uses it every day like you claim, then mention to him that he should get involved in legalizing cannabis! He could get involved with whatever local pro-cannabis organization there is and start volunteering. There's nothing like accomplishing satisfying work to help lift a person out of a slump. What doesn't help are friends that judge their lifestyle (/coping mechanism).

18. I used to bold to mark the only thing I agree with. "Cannabis" is not physically addictive, or as easily to get addicted to as propaganda makes it seem, but it can be addictive like all things. The fact is pot makes some people lazy. Don't go all crazy, I'm not saying it does this to everyone. I just know people who will admit it makes them lazy, and I was one of them most days. He is also one of them. If we mention going out and doing something productive, or doing anything for that matter, he considers it. Then he smokes a shit load of weed, sits in his apartment all day while we're out, then later complains about not having anything to do. Yes, your friends should not judge your lifestyle if it's a lifestyle you want, and one that makes you happy. He's always bored, and always depressed. No one here is "demonizing" weed, just because you can handle toking up, doesn't mean everyone else can. Being less egocentric is one of the transitions into adulthood, try seeing the world from other peoples viewpoints.

19. I am also mildly amused :D:devious:

1) It was rather predictable, wasn't it? Perhaps I meant it ironically :laughing:

2) This point seems awfully familiar... Haphazard, even! I too had options to choose from, like simply navigating away from the thread or posting something more constructive, but I didn't. Get over it.

3) You don't want to look at my penis? :(

4) </3

5) Of course it's not about the story! But it is the only original information you had to share with the community that other threads did not. I was trying to credit you for bringing something original to the thread while pointing out it is something you could have easily posted in one of the duplicate threads. Refer to #2 for your future response to this number (#5. See what I did there? Nothing like a bit of subtle, edgy, sarcastically toned bit of dry humor to boast my impressive debate skills. OH! And again. The edginess in this thread is face melting! Oh my god, there's so much sarcasm in the air I can't breathe! I just can't stop.)

6) No, this is all a dream. Relax your mind, Dannyboyx8wire.

7) Your assumption that I was a troll or a kid (which still has not been dismissed,) is to blame for this. Your notion that my post was useless was incorrect, though you still seem to be asserting this under the guise of, "well I posted the thread, so deal with it." A valid claim. Refer to #2 for my response. Don't you love circular arguments? I know I don't, so lets terminate this number and the relating numbers. Feel free to respond to #3, though ;)

8) I'm over it, are you? Yes? Lets be over it together and look at each others penises, then.

I disagree that I haven't shit on anything, quite the contrary! I have shit everywhere! My replies, no matter how short or long, are taking up space in your thread, and consequently your responses to my responses are also taking up space- space that could have been occupied by constructive posts. The, "useless," nature of these posts should bother you just as my initial post did for that very reason. Though, this is not the case since we are planning on looking at each others penises later. It seems we have resolved our issues, then?

Will you please call me a wahhhhbulance?

Sure man, whatever floats your boat. I'm not going to lose any sleep over only getting your responses to my responses... Specifically directed at you... Your feeble efforts to insult and demean my position are, well, feeble.

I agree. Refer to #5.

DISCLAIMER: #8's responses can be chronologically read in accordance to the bolded/underlined statements of your #8. I hope this cleared up any confusion.

20. Try getting him to look at things logically. Don't take his awkward/pissed off response/stance as an answer, it's something he has to hear from a friend or loved one. If he does not accept this well, you are at least planting the seeds for him to do this on his own. But, whether you are able to reach him through logic or through "seeds," he will help himself one way or another by seeing the logic of how shitty his situation is. It is something only he can do... Perhaps he doesn't adhere to existentialism? lol "IT'S FATE THAT I WASTE MY LIFE ON THIS COUCH!!!!!" It sounds like he just needs help realizing the situation that he is in, and he needs support in changing his habits. He may seem like a dick at times, and even difficult, but this is what friends are for. Put yourself in his position, you know?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.