Marijuana Induced Psychosis

Discussion in 'General' started by MattMMS, Jul 8, 2011.

1. This is a pretty crazy story and I am interested to see what your guys's opinions are and if it's possible to have a Marijuana Induced Psychosis.

Recently my father went completely crazy, I am not talking a little wacky I am talking mental hospital crazy, my dad woke up one day and though he was Jesus Christ himself, he thought he needed to save the world and that he had all the answers the world needs. He also went around performing "peaceful demonstrations" as he would say which included attempting to rob a bank with a sticky note which they somehow didn't arrest him for but instead dropped him right back off at home because I guess they can't take crazy people, After being dropped off that night he goes off the deep end and starts smashing the house like literally smashing it and shoots out all the windows with a BB Gun when he was home alone, the neighbors called the police on him and the police end up calling an ambulance to take him to a mental hospital. He gets there and they diagnose it as a Marijuana Induced Psychosis which he does smoke all day everyday for like the past year, so the question is, is this a real affect of marijuana?

2. I cant say 100% but i would guess that your dad was flat out nuts before he started smoking. It just takes time to show itself. Marijuana itself cant make you crazy, But it can make a crazy person crazier.

3. some people just go fucking nuts man

not the real effect of weed though.

4. I actually wrote an article about this back in February on my blog.
    Give it a read
    Muffin Ruffian

5. Thanks guys for the responses, and my dad was pretty damn normal prior but he didn't smoke prior either due to being in the military.

6. Like i said, Smoking marijuana cant " Make you crazy " he would have to have a pre-existing condition that got worse with marijuana use.

7. If you don't know this to be true from my posts, then you'll NEVER KNOW..:D

8. waitwut

9. first story i've heard about people going insane from weed... it's usually in peoples life to do the exact opposite.

10. Actually if someone if predisposed to a mental illness it can make it worse. Is anyone in your family schizophrenic or had another disorder you can think off? Sometimes someones genetic predisposition creates a risk for psychosis.

11. He is bipolar but it was always mild and manageable, this was one of the craziest things I have ever seen, never seen anyone act the way he was.

12. Hi! First off no, Marijuana is not the cause of your fathers freak out... But unless you know the source of his marijuana connect then it's a possibility he got a bad bud... Check out the shit some people use on their plants like embalming fluid! Also his military background is more of a source of mental psychosis... Depending upon his terms of service, if he is however bi-polar the chemical embalance can change so they should be looking into that... I have never heard of "marijuana induced psychosis" and have no idea what crack ass doctor would ever say that... Try finding a new hospital, sounds to me like the doc needs a joint... Or maybe your dad is Jesus!?

13. #13 treelover, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hmm, well I'm bipolar and I've been told not to smoke because of that.but I'm fine as long as I remeber to keep taking the medication.sometimes bipolar people on meds think they're better, and go off the meds and quickly become manic. That's the danger with a bipolar person smoking, they really have to be responsible. But I've never had that issue...drug use can induce mania, and mania can be pyschotic when severe. Does he take any medication for bipolar? Maybe he stopped taking it if he does? It doesn't take much for an episode to rear its ugly head. I'm really sorry you and your dad are going through this. I'm sure hell be fine if he stops using for a little and goes on medication. I know a lot of people on here will be appalled my the medication idea, but as someone myself who takes as little as possible, I've realized sometimes its nesscery.

14. Yea you're right, because he thinks Smoking is in place of his medication so he doesn't use his prescribed pills which did make him manic which is probably partially the cause of this.

Edit: My dad is now in rehab for 6 weeks but I am highly doubting he could possibly get better sadly.

15. I'm sure you know about it but just in case
    http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml
    Here's a link to the institute of mental health. It goes over everything you'd probably want to know. I thought it might be helpful because it outlines manic episodes and how to prevent them. It just seems more likely to me that he had a severe manic episode to me, with his history. I'm no doctor,but I deal with being bipolar. But in severe episodes someone can have hallucinations,delusions, grandiosity(that's always true but its severe in bad episodes ie. Thinking one can fly,feeling invincible).

16. Well this is the crazy part....he was in the mental hospital for 10 days in May where he was diagnosed with Marijuana induced psychosis and now just last week he went crazy again and ended up in the mental hospital again, and now is when he decided to enter rehab so this isn't just one episode both times he thought he was Jesus.and like you said thinking he was invincible.

17. #17 treelover, Jul 8, 2011
    Yeah that's the problem right there. See for me, I miss one dose of my medication I notice myself talking faster,not sleeping,going bonkers basically lol. I've been on medications...usually anti-depressents and they made me A LOT worse. Like either extremely manic or depressed. Its common for ssris to have extremely adverse effects on people with bipolar people. He really needs a hospitalization more then rehab. There they would stabilize him on a new medication and make sure it worked before they discharged him. For someone that's bipolar its important they take medication if they need it and don't stop taking it because they "feel better",they get enough sleep, and don't abuse substances. I say abuse because smoking a little weed and having a drink now and then is no big deal (unless you're on medication that can't be mixed w. Alcohol)

18. His reason for being anti-medication is because his mom was prescribed a ton of pills and he thinks that's what killed her so he uses marijuana as his substitute.

19. He sounds like a base head man. Maybe he dabbles with shards on the weekends.

20. #20 treelover, Jul 8, 2011
    Did they know he had a history of bipolar? Because its a common belief thay weed can induce pyschosis in bipolar people...but it seems to me it was severe mania which can be pyschotic in nature..sometimes psych hospitals kind of give out the medication and don't pay attention to the problem...its unfortunate but it happens. When he is discharged from rehab, he should visit a therapist/pyscologist and a pyschiatrist regularly. Just so he can learn coping skills for his disorder and have regular help on the medication. Its important if something isn't right he calls his doctor, stopping the medication without seeing his doctor is dangerous. Some medictions need to be tapered, and overall it could make him a lot worse.