Marijuana In China

Discussion in 'General' started by Mojo Hand, May 22, 2010.

1. Once again, They really don't care to much about the foreigners and the cops don't even know what the smell is.

2. And you know this how?:rolleyes:

3. You say the prisons are dank? Doesnt sound bad to me

4. I actually started smoking bud in Korea. I was paying 100 bucks a gram and it was usually mids. I had a buddy who had some good hooks though and every once in a blue moon he came up with some cali bud or medical bud from cali and those were GREAT times because it's so illegal there that most people wouldn't recognize the smell so we'd smoke out on top of a high building then go down a few stories to a PS/xbox/nintendo "bbang" (room) and play video games hA hA. GREAT TIME!

However it's not worth it especially if ur just visiting for a little while. I had a friend from China and according to him the people you gotta fear the most over there are....

not the gangsters...

not the pick pockets...

BUT THE COPS!!

He says whatever you do while ur in china u avoid cops lol. Not sure how much of this is true but the mere fact he says that leads me to want to advise you to make this trip a tolerance break. Good luck to ya. I miss asia but not the fucked up laws. I'd move there in a heart-beat if they lightened up on bud.

5. Who would want to do that? That's like breaking into a dirty porta-potty

6. #46 Hardnutcheck, May 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010

I've been to Guangzhou to visit a friend who is studying mandarin. Any other place in China, I assume it's going to be the same thing.

Edit: The Government, along with the news media never or hardly ever mentions any other country but themselves. They only worry about themselves

7. I've lived in Shanghai for 2 years during high school and this is about the only thing in this thread that is true about weed in China, as well as the fact that dealers actually come to you.

I smoked absolutely everywhere and anywhere, inside taxis, on the street, in restaurants (although if you do smoke in a restaurant be sure to be near a vent or window or in a corner so you dont smoke out the place.), well I could go on and on really.
    It was only after I left China that I found out how surprisingly constrained and stressed I felt when finding a place to smoke.

Of course that isnt to say that you should smoke in front of cops..though most are pretty chill. Weve even smoked out a few. :D

China, as opposed to general (and ignorant) belief, gives you a sense of freedom like no other country... I couldnt really explain it...its one of those things youve got to experience yourself..see, understand and realize yourself..youd have to live there and feel its culture..feel the communism. ironic right? but yea..its that sense of communism really. Some parts of the ideology is actually quite great.

I can assure you that every and any young foreigner who've went out Beijing or Shanghai have been approached by dealers.

Of course you'll need connections to get good stuff but ones you get from the street should be alright for your time there. though a possibly better would be to ask other foreigners in lounge bars/clubs, given they know their stuff

Most dealers in China come from the Xinjiang province, and look more like arabs/muslims, have darker skin, different clothings and usually wear "taqiyah" hats. To give you an idea..

I felt the need to write all this mess after reading through so many blatantly ignorant mouthspill throughout the thread.

I mean why talk shit about a place youve never even been to? really why?

Oh and if youve got some time to spare in China Id suggest you to get a ticket to Dali Gucheng, we call it the Amsterdam of Asia ;) spent some of my best chilled out summers there..some of the chillest nicest people you will Ever meet..
    you could check it out well actually i think itd be hard to find any info about its weed culture on internet even though a lot of stoners from all over (really) frequent the place i guess its a pretty underground word of mouth kinda place lol .
    well pm me if youre up for it I could point you the right way.

Now i think imma go find a better cultured forum :wave:hopefully less imaturishness too..damn no wonder weve got such a bad reputation.:rolleyes:

8. no No no no no no NO NO NO NO NO no no no no no. no no no no. NO. NO no no no no
    NO NO NO NO NO NO no no. no No nO no no. no aaaaand.........NO. dont do it man, dont do it, dont...stop dont, no stop it. stop. NO. no no way. no. DO NOT TOUCH WEED IN CHINA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO NO NO NO NO
    DONT
    NO NO NOOOOOOO

9. Could you perhaps state your position more clearly? :D

jk...of course I agree.

10. #50 Six One Cynic, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2010
    I've never been further east than Lativa; but even I know that Marijuana is intolerable in most East Asian countries; it can get you a lifetime banishment in Beijing and it could even possibly get you hung if caught in Indonesia.

East Asian people are still, as of 2010, heavily influenced (socially) by Confucian values and Qing Dynasty practices, they have a long way to go.

11. Makco, get off your high horse. I never said it couldn't be had there, and I never said I hadn't been there, though granted it was quite a few years ago. I do know what the laws say. Sure you can get all sorts of things in China, and you probably won't get caught, but if you DO get busted for whatever reason the penalties are stiff, very very stiff. That was what I was saying, is it worth the risk? If you think it is great, go back and enjoy some Chinese hash.

It's about risk vs. reward. Now maybe you shouldn't act all stuckup and stop assuming the rest of the world hasn't travelled and hasn't been around.

12. I'm sorry but my ancestors fled china for a reason. The only reason why I would go to china is if someone is paying me, or I decide to visit the great wall of china. Other than that I can't even stand hanging out with Chinese peopple...the people from mainland china. Don't even get me started.

13. damn that link is crazy, like exactly the way it is in my city when i searched it on the list. wonder who put that list together...:confused:

14. They have people who have actually been to those places. Probably a good group of potheads decided I'd be a good idea, an I guess it has been.

15. China executes more people than any other country in the world by far, and for all sorts of offenses.

Ever see locked up abroad?

Not something i'd be doing in a foreign country unless i had a friend there that knew how to go about it safely.

16. #56 Monkybiz007, May 23, 2010
    I work in China for a good 5-6 months out of the given year. I smoke (a little bit of) pot and (a fair amount of) hash there. The laws for pot in China are interesting, as they can be both severe and yet very lenient at the same time.

The general rule of thumb is, you won't be bothered if you smoke pot in a bar/in your apartment/out in the countryside. In fact, unless you smoke at a hotel or attraction geared towards Western tourists, most people won't even look at you twice if you're smoking. Traditional Chinese medicine often uses smokable herbs, so it is not uncommon for people in China to smoke products that don't smell like tobacco. However, if you were to grab anything more than a quarter, or are around someone with a large amount, then the Chinese are super strict about posession. To summarize, smoking pot=ok, having enough pot to sell or selling pot= Big Trouble in Ltle China.

While you are in Shanghai it will be very easy to find the stuff, simply wait around outside of bars and you will be approached by someone, most likely on a bicycle, who will say "hashish" and "marijuana" to non Chinese leaving bars. As sketchy as it seems, these guys are actually very reliable. As I mentioned earlier, the only problem the Chinese see is in people selling/holding large amounts, they are not worred about punishing the grass roots level consumer. To summarize, Chinese police generally don't have units trying to sell pot to tourists in order to bust them. The guys you see selling it outside of bars are actually risking quite a bit to be doing what they do. If you have the cash on hand, often the transaction will happen right on the street. Once again, these type of dealers are a safe way to go.

In the countryside, the most you will have to worry about is a local cop "suggesting" you bribe him if he sees you with pot. More likely, rural Chinese police are aware of the "VIP treatment" that foreign tourists/industry has earned for Westerners in China, and will leave you alone instead of dealing with the hassle of arresting a foreigner. Unless you look like a ratty backpacker with no pull, Chinese police will call in a special branch who deal with foreigners. I've dealt with these guys once, and seen drunk buddies deal with them a few more times, and all they do is say: "You cant do that in China. You are a guest here. If you promise to behave we will be on our way."

A very good bar to go to in Shanghai to pick up is The Shelter. It's a converted 1950's bomb shelter that plays punk, like house/techno, or reggae depending on the night. However, if/when you do pick up, finding a piece to smoke out of is tricky, as is finding rolling papers.

Edit: Makco's post is dead accurate about pot in China, except I would say dealers I've encountered have been equally spread from all over Xinjiang, Xizang, Qinghai, and Yunnan. Plenty of people in this thread have offered opinions that, to put it nicely, aren't accurate with current reality.

17. #57 Mojo Hand, May 23, 2010
    Thanks for the info from people who have actually been to China. And also thanks for the recommendations for where to go. The Shelter sounds tight.

"A very good bar to go to in Shanghai to pick up is The Shelter. It's a converted 1950's bomb shelter that plays punk, like house/techno, or reggae depending on the night. However, if/when you do pick up, finding a piece to smoke out of is tricky, as is finding rolling papers."

Thats what I was wondering. Are there stores that sell just tobacco pipes or other glassware? I guess if worst comes to worst Ill just roll the tobacco out of a cig and fill it up with the good stuff.

18. I learned a lot from this thread. Maybe I'll stop by China when I travel the world.

19. What's weird is there are a million little corner stores that sell cigarettes, lighters, and soda/juice/water, but almost none of them will have papers or a piece. However, if you go through one of the many souvenir markets, you can often find little stone 1-2 hit chillums, usually with the chinese lion carved into it. I've only seen a store that sells glassware once, and that as in the HouHai in Beijing. I haven't looked for them in Shanghai, but I'm sure if you asked around someone could point you to a place that sells rolling papers. The hollowed cig technique will work until you find something more suitable.

As far as your interest in The Shelter, the "front" of the club has the bar and main dance area, and then there are tunnels in the "back" with lounge rooms branching off. Walk through the lounge areas and you will often find people smoking up right in there. Ask anyone in these rooms, or anyone you see walking around with a backpack for a hook up and you should be good to go. One of my favorite parts of China is after stumbling out of the bars (which don't have closing times) you can find street vendors roasting meat and vegetables on skewers for .12-.25 cents each. Better drunk food than Mexican in my opinion, and I went to UoA which is 45 minutes from Mexico, so I like to think I know decent Mexican food.

20. Thats sounds awesome. I'm going to be there during the World Expo so I can go there in the day, hit the bars at night. This trip is going to be the shit.