Marijuana Imagery In Anti-Pot Ads Encourages Teen Cannabis Use, Study Says

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by ImTheJoker4u2, Sep 11, 2009.

1. #1 ImTheJoker4u2, Sep 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2009
    And todays FAIL goes to........

[​IMG]Volume 12 Issue 36 September 10, 2009 [​IMG]norml.org This Week's News from NORML
    • Marijuana Imagery In Anti-Pot Ads Encourages Teen Cannabis Use, Study Says

• Netherlands: Dutch Lawmakers May Limit Coffee-Shop Access

• Last Chance To Register For OCDLA's 'All Things Cannabis' Conference

[​IMG]
    Marijuana Imagery In Anti-Pot Ads Encourages Teen Cannabis Use, Study Says
    Share This Article [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Philadelphia, PA: Anti-drug public service announcements that feature teens using marijuana are less likely to dissuade viewers from experimenting with pot than are advertisements absent such images, according to survey data to be published in the journal Health Communication.
    Investigators at the Annenberg School for Communication at the University of Pennsylvania assessed the attitudes of over 600 adolescents, aged 12 to 18, after viewing 60 government funded anti-marijuana service announcements. Specifically, researchers evaluated whether the presence of marijuana-related imagery in the ads (e.g., the handling of marijuana cigarettes or the depiction of marijuana smoking behavior) were more likely or less likely to discourage viewers' use of cannabis.
    Messages that depict teens associating with cannabis are "significantly less effective than others," the researchers found.
    "This negative impact of marijuana scenes is not reversed in the presence of strong anti-marijuana arguments in the ads and is mainly present for the group of adolescents who are often targets of such anti-marijuana ads (i.e., high-risk adolescents)," authors determined. "For this segment of adolescents, including marijuana scenes in anti-marijuana (public service announcements) may not be a good strategy."
    Since 1998, Congress has appropriated over $2 billion to fund anti-drug advertisements as part of the National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign. Independent reviews of the campaign have determined that the ads fail to discourage viewers from trying marijuana or other drugs.
    In 2006, a study published in the journal Addictive Behaviors reported that teenagers who were most often exposed to the ad campaign were also most likely to hold positive attitudes about marijuana and were most likely to express their intent to use it.
    For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org. Full text of the study, "The effect of marijuana scenes in anti-marijuana public service announcements on adolescents' evaluation and effectiveness," appears in Health Communication.

This tells me that even kids see through the BS propaganda

2. Fuck it's true tho, some kid's thinking about trying pot and he sees some kid like him on TV smoking a joint...obviously he's gonna do it

3. DRUG WAR FAIL

But I remember when I was younger, and one of those ads would come on, I would smoke some weed as soon as possible, pretty much out of spite for those terrible anti-pot ads.

4. same with that D.A.R.E program. it just gets kids courious.

5. Or it has the effect it had on me.

I thought, oh man drugs are really bad, they are so stupid. Until I was like 17.

*tried marijuana*

FUCK DARE, FUCK THE POLICE, FUCK THE DEA, FUCK THE GOVERNMENT.

I have been lied to, how can I trust you?

6. I have to agree. Whenever I see an anti pot commercial I always want to light up.

-C

7. ^^^this.

this was me.
    in a nutshell/

8. same here.

9. Ditto. This was EXACTLY me haha

10. "In 2006, a study published in the journal Addictive Behaviors reported that teenagers who were most often exposed to the ad campaign were also most likely to hold positive attitudes about marijuana and were most likely to express their intent to use it."

Haha, ultimate fail

11. Exactly! And just the other day I read Superjoints article about cigarettes that says 90% of all tobacco-related lung cancers are caused by radioactive fertilizers and not tar. My two "vices" (well, the tobacco one doesn't have quotation marks on 'vice'), lies from the government and even an attempt to give me lung cancer! I know I can still get heart decieses and stuff from tobacco, but god damn!

I have very limited trust in the government. Or perhaps 'none at all' would be a more fitting answer..

12. I totally disagree with this drug war and such. The thing is, I pretty much feel like **most** drugs should continue to be illegal for minors - and the easiest way to define minors is to give it an age where the signifigant majority of the population's brain is getting close to fully developed - 18.

So basically? The way I see it, consenting adults should put or take out whatever they want from their bodies. In one's own home, parents can decide if their kids get to do drugs. In public, I feel it's reasonable to say minors can't be doin drugs. Why? Because the kids that try drugs early can experience some real tough side effects. I don't have the facts, but my general opinion (after doing general reading for a number of years of studies etc) is that just having kids be told, "When you are 18, even if you live at home, you can do whatever drugs you want," that's prolly the best option. Enforcement and all that is way tougher IMO. I mean, kids are gonna smoke a little pot, no doubt. Fine them a little bit and give them a pamphlet that says when they are 18 they can do as they please.

Does that seem unreasonable to you guys?

13. Oh, and I forgot, adults should be able to do as they please in every way from the moment they come of age, however we define it (18-21 etc).

14. i saw a few of those commercials completley baked, laughed for a while then forgot what i was laughing at,:hello:

15. there is a pretty noticable trend in north american substance abuse. we create this false hype behind, drugs, or alcohol, and expect kids not to be curious of what it would feel like to "find everything funny", "feel like part of the music", or some other drug sterotype.

think back to when you were 13-14 16-18, whenever it was before you first drank or smoked pot, or some other drug. can you remember imagining what it must be like to be "high". and correct me if im wrong here, im not an expert to all areas here, but did what you think a drug was going like compared to how it actually was when u did it, kind of surprise you?

the drug war is a huge fail. it causes more substance abuse then it prevents imo.

16. Everyone see's through that bullshit
    Kids know the government is bullshiting them they know smoking weed once or twice isn't going to make you inot a crack tweaker or "ruin your future" or any of that other crap they feed us
    Even when I was young I laughed at those commercials they're pathetic
    They really only work on people who wouldn't have ever smoked weed in the first place.

17. It works for all of the bible thumping, wine chugging, christian sheep that take everything they're told as gospel.
    I mean how can a plant, that can litterally be pulled from the ground and eaten raw, be more evil than fermented grapes? Cause the government said so!:rolleyes:

18. Just happened to me. SAME exact thing.

19. i dont have to go through the trouble. whenever i light up, an anti pot commercial comes on. haha

20. WHEN YOU SMOKE WEED... IT BURNS UR LITTLE BROTHERS HAND. anyone else seen that one?