Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Marijuana gives me constant anxiety now.

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Zalavis, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Cactus Ed you seem to have the most experience here thank you. What do you and the others think about Magnesium supplements? There was a thread about it here. There are so many kinds of Magnesium though Ever gotten an anxiety attack from smoking pot? Take Magnesium.

2. Anyone got anymore expertise on the matter? I smoked about a week and half ago, got anxiety about 6-7 hours later and then have had headaches on and off for a week afterwords. I’m going to try dosing with fish oil to see if it will improve my endo-cannabinoid system. One doctor said my cannabinoid receptors were fried basically from too much cannabis.

3. I used to get bad anxiety but I found exercise to be the best help. Seriously, I walk, jog, and lift weights, and I have absolutely no anxiety anymore.

4. I have found that when this happens to me, 6 oz of juice or a about the same of a real sugar soda makes mine vanish. I know for soon smoked cannabis causes a sudden drop in both blood sugar & blood pressure. As to blood pressures, just relax and lay down, helps raise your blood pressure. Making sure you well hydrated and believe it or not have had enough sodium. I have found that some salty trail mix with that soda and them relax back on the bed makes everything good, real quick. I know that for me, this is the case, been tested many times, Just my story, peace. k

5. As long as I work out daily, weed no longer gives me anxiety. It really makes a big difference, especially with sativas which used to make me paranoid af.

6. That's an unusual anxiety reaction for pot. I guess you can consider tolerance as having fried receptors and if you've been smoking too much cannabis that may be why you're having anxiety. THC is relaxing in small doses and anxiety promoting in large doses relative to your tolerance so take a smaller dose and you may enjoy it more.

7. I will try to work out religiously and let you know if it allows me to smoke normally again. I find it's hard to always find time to do it every day but I will just do it.

Yesterday I smoked one single puff off a spliff with friends. Long story short it's 6AM, about 10 hours later and I have not been able to sleep at all. One single puff and now this... Having neck tension and mild headache as well.

What kind of anxiety were you having from weed before you were working out every day? Was it the same as me? Did you also get headaches long afterwards?

8. Well the combination of tobacco and weed in a spliff will give anxiety for most people. I used to love them when I smoked cigs but I had to quit because the panic attacks were bad. Also spliffs give mad headaches so start smoking just weed and working out and you should be fine.

9. Ok. I will not give up! Ideally I will try vaping. Love volcano. Did you get panic attacks as well or just mild anxiety? The weird thing about the headaches is once they are triggered for me it lasts days... Very weird. I really hope I find a solution...

10. I couldn't function I had bad anxiety that would ruin my day.

11. Adding cbd to the mix works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Super silver haze, and nyc diesel, I would suggest trying. Too bad nobody grows anything anymore unless it called space cookies or whatever with +25% thc

13. Wow I am so glad this thread isn't dead. Bro I am in the same fucking spot as you and I literally REFUSE TO BELIEVE IT.

The other day I was out to dinner with my parents and long story short had a MASSIVE anxiety attack that literally took me off my feet. Since then EVERY SINGLE TIME I try to smoke I get anxiety. Sweaty palms, can't focus without being an anxious weirdo, heart palpitations, heart flutters, can't sleep, the whole 9 yards.

This is all happening after years of daily smoking. All my friends know me as the weed guy, Pot Man Tan, now I can't even fucking smoke. Not too mention I tried blazing a few times and get so sky high off a literal fleck of weed then straight into anxiety. Why? Who the hell knows but obviously something switched in the brain for us.

I think there is a whole lot more going on in our complex little brains when we smoke weed and there has yet to be the amount of research needed on the topic. It's a shame but I think there is a point for some people with an anxious disposition where weed can be too much and a switch flips. Hopefully that switch can be flipped back...

Right now I am just pinning it on God intervening in my life and finally making me take the long break that I need although I'll be so mad if I resume smoking in 3-6 months and it happens again. Keep me updated on if you have any progressions on this matter. Godspeed brother.

14. #114 byebyecitybyebye, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    When I first started smoking regularly, at age 16, I used to get EXTREME motion sickness, even after just two hits. I slowly built up my tolerance smoking out of a mini-bong on my mom's porch over the summer. After that, I smoked weed heavily, almost every day, for 15 years. There was no amount that could make me feel "too high," I had 0 bad experiences for the whole 15 years, even mixing it with other drugs... in fact it seemed to make all other drugs even better or at least more tolerable... and BTW I lived in the unofficial guerrilla-grown weed capital of America during that time. I myself have been growing weed (recreational and medical) for 13 years, now.

Our local weed was strong enough to have veteran stoners from N. California under the table after a few tokes. (that was fun, they'd be like "oh norcal weed's the best in the world" and I'd just smile and hand them a joint and afterwards they'd invariably have to admit it was stronger than anything they'd smoked before.) Our local "blueberry" strain wound up in head shops in Amsterdam. Snoop Dogg smoked it, too. (allegedly, lol)

I was really pretty over-dependent on it. It really helped with my anxiety and chronic back pain due to an injury in my early 20s. In fact, if I stopped smoking for more than a day or two, I'd get so nauseated I couldn't eat a full meal. After a couple bites I'd have to stop.

And then my tolerance suddenly dropped, in the summer of 2018. I could smoke light-THC/high-CBD stuff but even then it was very easy to overdo it. I eventually had to quit smoking weed altogether. I was plagued by intense stress dreams and nightmares, every night, for over 8 months. I was sleep-deprived and depressed and very irritable with everyone, and I used alcohol to cope. I gained 15 lbs in a few months. (I'd always maintained a pretty steady 125-135 for my whole life before that, with no sudden changes ever)

Eventually the dreams tapered off, and my tolerance slowly came back. I was able to smoke nearly as heavily as before.

That is, until a few weeks ago. Suddenly I can't even take a tiny rip of the smallest pinch of weed.

For some more backstory: I've done pretty much all the "classic" drugs known to man, besides like.... straight meth or PCP. (I *was* briefly prescribed ADHD meds and I've done MDMA but neither were very appealing to me) I've never done any of the newer "designer" drugs.... if hippies and teenagers haven't been testing it for at least 30 years I'm not interested.

Most of them weren't really my thing, since I was always looking to mellow out rather than get amped up. I gave up on MDMA pretty quickly. I used to enjoy acid and mushrooms but in the end, the anxiety was too much. Cocaine was very disappointing, even when it was relatively pure. The most appealing to me were always weed, alcohol, and opiates, and the occasional MDA if it was good.

Probably unrelated: Earlier in 2018, (the year my weed tolerance first took a nosedive) there was a lot of cheap cocaine floating around my area, and I partook a couple times, BUT it was way more intense than I remembered, even the impure crap, and I wondered what the hell it was that made it so different. When my weed tolerance disappeared in a puff of smoke (ba dum pish) later that year, I couldn't help but wonder if it was somehow related to my intolerance of cocaine... and/or my abuse of alcohol over the years. Had I damaged my liver? Does the liver even process THC, I wondered? (It does, I have since learned, but I don't have a more definitive answer re: that being the cause of my intolerance... other than that my alcohol tolerance seemed completely unaffected, which points to "no," albeit not definitively.)

Anyway, that's my rambling, long way of saying that I don't have any advice to give you, but I do feel your pain. My experience with the same thing seems to be almost completely random and causeless, but very disheartening, especially since the stress dreams have been returning in the last few days of sobriety. And the timing sucks because I've also decided, since then, that I have to quit drinking altogether. So for the first time in my life I'll be sober apart from coffee and cigarettes. I still have frequent anxiety and panic attacks, and the weed *used* to really help. (now it does the exact opposite) And in general I'm really not a big fan of reality/sobriety, so I'm not looking forward to it.

I also am planning on having my liver looked at soon, mostly, again, because of my extended abuse of alcohol. I plan on asking about all this stuff when I do. If I learn anything from the doctor I'll check back in with you.

EDIT: I now see that discussion of other drugs is discouraged on this forum. I included them because they seemed relevant to the discussion at hand, but I will remove the references if anyone objects to them.

15. You're fine. It's just a part of getting to the bottom of the matter at hand. You're not glorifying the stuff.

So anyway the matter at hand. A lot of us heavy potheads have depleted and burned out our endorphin thingies and serotonin receptors and whatnot. And things like cocaine and opiates dont help at all. They will accelerate you towards this state of "nothing takes the edge off anymore"...

I find good haze dominant strains with that rich coffee flavor (whichever ingredient that is) still do the job. Also green crack has a nice comfort zone to it... But am getting more and more picky as time goes on. More and more strains seem to make me sweaty and rushy. But still I can find just the right thing occasionally that puts me right as rain.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ok folks I’m back. Two weeks ago I tried a tiny amount of cannabis infused vegetable oil, less than .5mg from a capsule. I was trying to do the tiniest amount possible. At first I was a little anxious, nothing crazy, but uncomfortable to say the least. Anyway, 6 hours later I had a massive panic attack which lasted until the morning. I didn’t sleep the whole night. For two weeks after that I’ve had headaches (which only started getting better after over a week) and pretty bad anxiety, difficulty sleeping. I’m thinking I have a seratonin issue which is being triggered by marijuana perhaps. Does anyone have a real goddamn solution for this? Why the prolonged symptoms? I’m thinking of trying an antidepressant if in fact the issue is seratonin related, which I have a feeling it is. Maybe I have to quite weed forever but I wish so bad I could chill and smoke again.

17. I’d just quit after all that shit

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. I have but every now and then I try a tiny bit to see if I’m able to tolerate it again.

19. Has no-one solved this problem? Anyone know about these delayed effects weeks later?

20. 1.
    In the push for every higher levels of THC the ratio of THC to CBD is slipping to the THC side more and more.
    As an old stoner I can feel it in most strains over 15-18% THC.
    Try and stay with the lower level THC and see if that eases the anxiety.

Buy some high CBD weed and blend down the Weed your using.

Buy a bottle of CBD oil and mix a few drops of CBD under the tongue before toking.

Inhaling the aroma from fresh ground black pepper or chewing a corn or two can ease the jumpy feelings.

You've become hyper sensitive to something in the cannabis. It happens. Try concentrates as they lack nearly all the plant material and that is a huge part of what can trigger allergies or like reactions.

Out of the blue I've become sensitized to the entire family of Blood pressure meds I've been on for a decade.
    Any of that whole class of drugs now sets my left shoulder on fire with a blistering migraine to follow.

BNW